• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 640 Hydraulics

okumaguru

I was happy to see a "Forestry" category. My family has been in the forestry/timber industry since the depression days. My grandpa started his own sawmill operation in 1947 which employed all of my family except me for years. I am actually a machinist now. They all still do it but branched off somewhat.
My younger brother is a logger in South Central Missouri. He has a 540 John Deere skidder and he just bought a John Deere 640 with a grapple. The problem is a couple of the most needed gears don't work properly,(hydrostatic transmission). The person he got it from said it worked perfectly when he bought it. He drained the fluid to fix a leak and replaced it with new fluid and that is when he lost those certain gears. The person he got it from is a very trusted friend so no questions about what he said. He said he tested the fluid pressures and found one of the pumps wasn't pumping enough pressure. He told my brother that the pump would need replaced.
My question is, is there something which could have been put in the fluid to "hide" that problem so that it wasn't evident when my brothers friend bought it or does anyone feel that something else other than the pump my be the problem. I was thinking it might be a blockage somewhere or something to that effect. I didn't think you could do much with hydraulics to hide something(like sawdust to quiet noisy gears).
Also, is there an easier way to replace it without completely removing the engine. How hard is it to rebuild those pumps. I looked at an extra pump he has and I not 100% certain how it works. I am thinking that it must increase the pressure as it goes thru another"piston" and then progressively on thru the rest of them. I believe it has 8 small "pistons" around it's circumference and a "cam" in the middle. I think a lot of the JD tractors have a similar if not the same pump.
Thanks in advance
Tim

jbenham

Tim,
,From your discription of the pump, thats the hyd. pump, if that is the case the hyd. pump has nothing to do with the transmission (seperate systems), the transmission pump is in the front of the transmission case(engine removel or trany removal required to service).
The first thing to do is pull the trany filter and cut it open and see how many grindings and what color they are (brass looking or gray cast steel or both).Email me back with your findings and I will give you a direction to go in from there.
good luck
Jim
(jbenham@toast.net)
I was happy to see a "Forestry" category. My family has been in the forestry/timber industry since the depression days. My grandpa started his own sawmill operation in 1947 which employed all of my family except me for years. I am actually a machinist now. They all still do it but branched off somewhat.
My younger brother is a logger in South Central Missouri. He has a 540 John Deere skidder and he just bought a John Deere 640 with a grapple. The problem is a couple of the most needed gears don't work properly,(hydrostatic transmission). The person he got it from said it worked perfectly when he bought it. He drained the fluid to fix a leak and replaced it with new fluid and that is when he lost those certain gears. The person he got it from is a very trusted friend so no questions about what he said. He said he tested the fluid pressures and found one of the pumps wasn't pumping enough pressure. He told my brother that the pump would need replaced.
My question is, is there something which could have been put in the fluid to "hide" that problem so that it wasn't evident when my brothers friend bought it or does anyone feel that something else other than the pump my be the problem. I was thinking it might be a blockage somewhere or something to that effect. I didn't think you could do much with hydraulics to hide something(like sawdust to quiet noisy gears).
Also, is there an easier way to replace it without completely removing the engine. How hard is it to rebuild those pumps. I looked at an extra pump he has and I not 100% certain how it works. I am thinking that it must increase the pressure as it goes thru another"piston" and then progressively on thru the rest of them. I believe it has 8 small "pistons" around it's circumference and a "cam" in the middle. I think a lot of the JD tractors have a similar if not the same pump.
Thanks in advance
Tim

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums jbenham! :drinkup

okumaguru

I'll be honest, I don't know anything about them. My brother was telling me there are 2 or 3 of those hydraulic pumps which he was told are what powers the transmission. Of course, I may not be totally understanding what he is saying.
I do know it is really cold here so he can't do anything with it for now. When he gets it pulled apart I will email you with the details.
Thanks
Tim

jbenham

I'll be honest, I don't know anything about them. My brother was telling me there are 2 or 3 of those hydraulic pumps which he was told are what powers the transmission. Of course, I may not be totally understanding what he is saying.
I do know it is really cold here so he can't do anything with it for now. When he gets it pulled apart I will email you with the details.
Thanks
Tim

Tim,
The trany and the hyd system share the same oil supply, but the hyd pump does not supply pressure to the trany. Also on another note, the trany is nothing more than a eight speed power-shift without a tourque converter.
Its kind of on the cold side here also (-10 this morning).
Jim

dr501

Occupation
operator

straight 640 hAVE A SEPRET OITL SUPPLY one for hyd one for tranny and thay are picky abought switching oils i d say that you lost a clutch pac we had 2 of them lost both machines pacs then we sold it and repaired one due to abuse we run amaco 1000 fluid it was switched buy a renter of it and within the month the pac s were gone in it

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums dr501! :drinkup

dr501

Occupation
operator
thank you glad to be here i ben in looging for over20 years this site is looking cool to be on its not all crane guys good topics here from dust to dirt and all inbetween i hope we can help the 640 post out i been all over them machines years ago found pine size holes pluged deap inside the sys. that shut us down