• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 490 E Hydraulic Overheating

Knivens894

I have owned this machine for more than 10 years. In the summer it has had a hydraulic overheating problem. I have spent a lot of time and money trying to find the problem. The list of the efforts is too long to post here. The hydraulic system was hot everywhere when tested with a thermal gun. I gave up on the search and installed a electric booster fan in front of the radiator a couple of years ago. The machine's performance was jerky, so I always ran it in the fine grading mode, and adjusted the DP sensor up to slow down its response.

Last week it burned up the coil on the hydraulic pump high pressure solenoid and failed a couple of fuses in the process, so I decided to go through all of the adjustments controlling the main pump pressure through the computer. I first replaced the high pressure solenoid. The angle sensor was out of spec, but I had another on hand and just replaced it. The differential pressure sensor was also out of spec (read 0.65 on removal), so I adjusted it back to the 1.7 where I had been using it to reduce the jerkiness. As I moved it back toward the installation position, the reading on the sensor changed on the volt meter. My initial thought was the wiring harness might be defective, so I moved the harness around looking for a voltage change. There was none, yet when I moved the sensor itself, the voltage varied wildly, going both up and down. I ordered another DP sensor and cut the old one open to see if it had a broken wire internally. It did not.

Yesterday I installed the new DP sensor, adjusted to 1.7 as I had the other, and the hydraulics would hardly function. Then I moved it to the current factory recommendation of 1.45 and functions returned. I ran the machine all yesterday afternoon in a heat index of 112F, and the heat gauge on the machine stayed at about 2/3's the green range. I have not seen that low a temperature in many years. It has normally been up next to red.

I have to conclude the DP sensor was defective internally and has caused the overheating problem with this machine for years. The varying signal from the DP sensor was calling for pressure from the pump which caused both the jerky performance and the years of overheating all the hydraulic system. It over worked the high pressure solenoid, which caused its failure. Several others have contacted me over the years about overheating of my machine and how I solved it. The booster fan simply treated a symptom. The old DP sensor would take an adjustment setting, which lead me to think it was good, but something inside of it made the output vary in service. If you are having jerky performance and hydraulic overheating, the new DP sensor solved my problem. HALLELUJAH!! and HALLELUJAH!!

Knivens894

If your machine overheats, stalls or is jerky, you do not know what you are missing! This machine will now dig at any engine speed without stalling or over heating. It has always required the operator to listen closely to avoid stalling, and when it got hot, re-cranking was problematic. If your DP does not hold it's setting, or when you move it around while the switch is on and the setting changes, then it needs to be replaced. Another issue I had was in the harness to the computer. It is spliced in the harness to provide power to the computer to two terminals. That splice was defective causing the computer to work intermittently.

steve foster

Need help I have a 490E after running slowing down to idle to cool off know it wont shut off engine slows down but wont shut off Is this a pump problem that is easy to fix? Thanks

Knivens894

I agree with mg2361. This sounds like an issue between the ignition switch and the shut off solenoid. If the voltage goes away as it should when the switch is off, the the shut off solenoid at the fuel injection pump is defective, sticking in the open position. It is normally closed by a spring and opens by a magnetic coil. Without voltage it should be closed to shut off fuel to the engine. with the switch in the off position and the engine running, simply take off the electrical connection to the pump. If that shuts off the engine, it is not the solenoid but rather a voltage cross over further up the line. It could be a bad ignition switch or a short between a hot wire and the circuit to the pump solenoid valve.

jefftchase

Occupation
Engineer
Are you sure the dp sensor is suppose to 1.7 volts? Should it be somewhere below 1.0 volts. Below is snippet from ex120-2 manual, which I believe is same as 490e.

upload_2021-9-8_21-3-49.png

Knivens894

"so I adjusted it back to the 1.7 where I had been using it to reduce the jerkiness." The "normal" setting per current revision to the JD manual is 1.45V. The higher the voltage the slower the machine's response. The lower the voltage the faster the machine responds.

maineplower

I’m getting ready to change mine in a ex120-2. The book says .45v, I’m wondering if it should be 1.45v?

Knivens894

I got the 1.45 V setting from a Master Tech as a result of a revision to the manual. The 0.45 would make the machine extremely jerky and cause repeated stalling. Try it if you like, it can be changed if it does not work for your machine.