• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 450c sitting 15 + years

Aubrey Phillips

Story goes it was sitting for 15 years or so. Owner was clearing the property with it and parked it, he said it ran fine and everything worked on it when parked. People starting stealing stuff off of it over time, its at an end of a road near the river and it became a target for beer bottles to throw at it appears because it has a ton of broken bottles in the floor boards. The undercarriage is in surprising decent shape. It's not much but it's mine.

IMG_0415.jpgIMG_0416.jpgIMG_0417.jpgIMG_0418.jpg

Aubrey Phillips

So whatcha gonna do with it?
I going try and get it usable it's going to be a lot but I have pulled the injectors and scoped the cylinders so far. There is no water in the cylinders, the starter however was full of water. I was able to spin over engine after I removed the starter so it's no frozen up.

boaterri

Occupation
Retired Television Engineer
You might want to preemptively send the injector pump out for service. There is a fiber washer in the middle of it that turns into "mouse turds" at the worst possible time and the machine stops. The replacement washer is made of a different material that is much more robust.

Good luck, have fun, be safe.
Rick

Welder Dave

The good thing is they were a popular machine and there should be a lot of used parts out there. Contact the local JD dealer and see if they are part of the used parts dealer network. If not ask if they know any shops that are.

Aubrey Phillips

Heck just getting it out of the weeds made it look a lot better already. I imagine with the exhaust open to years of Alabama rain, there's not much hope the turbo will spin?
Turbo does spin but has some slack in it. My mini hoe moved with out much of a problem. I was surprised at how well it did roll.

Last edited:

Aubrey Phillips

The good thing is they were a popular machine and there should be a lot of used parts out there. Contact the local JD dealer and see if they are part of the used parts dealer network. If not ask if they know any shops that are.
I’ve located the radiator, hood and grille so far. Needing an air filter intake cover, several small things so far. Goal is to get it running if it will & check out transmission.
You might want to preemptively send the injector pump out for service. There is a fiber washer in the middle of it that turns into "mouse turds" at the worst possible time and the machine stops. The replacement washer is made of a different material that is much more robust.

Good luck, have fun, be safe.
Rick
My case 1845 has that style injection pump. It will definitely quit at the worst time

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
That old gal sure has a fat bottom under her. Are the steering clutches releasing OK? Good luck and keep us posted.

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
I've owned a couple J450's over the years, a 450B and a 450C I now have a JD450E of the three the C was the best machine, it was the only turbo charged of the three. I would have liked to had a JD450C from new, they were the cats meow in the light dozer world as far as I'm concerned.
I'm going to watch this thread, good luck with the project.

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
Carefully examine the frame rails for any cracks or broken bolts. Replace and helicoil if stripped all bolts with a grade 8 at this point. I fishplated the frame rails the entire length on my B series dozer with 1/4” steel because of the cracks that do develop over 50 years of work.