• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 410 Hydraulic Fluid Change

applehead

I have a 78 JD 410 backhoe that I purchased last fall. Since then I have been changing filters and fluids. My goal today was to change the 2 hyrdaulic filters and fluid and also to clean out the screen. I drained both sumps and pulled the hydraulic and transmission filters (identical), no problem there. I struggled some removing the 1" diameter rubber hose coupling and then unscrewed the fitting to expose the screen. I tried using several tools including snap ring pliers to pull the screen out but to no avail. I called the Deere service tech and he thought there was an O ring on the back side that it must pull off from but he wasn't much help. So to not damage the plastic end of the screen or damage the screen itself I just inspected it the best I could and put the fitting and new short piece of oil resistant hose back together. I finished the fluid and filter change and everything seems alright. No leaks. My question is how do you remove this pesky screen without damaging it? I would like to know some ideas so the next fluid change I will be able to service the screen as well. Thanks.

HarrisEquipment

I looked up the parts drawing of the trans/hyd suction screen and it looks just like the type in the ag tractors. I've seen these screens so plugged up with clutch material that it was very difficult to remove. I used a screw driver and pryed on the screen in a twisting motion until I could move it back and forth.
The next time you drain the trans/hyd fluid I would use a can of brake clean to blow back into the screen to loosen any garbage that is built up.

goldenboy

hey applehead,

Sorry I cant be of help but I also just purchased a 78 jd 410. Im gonna get it delivered next week. i have purchased from e-bay a link to download a pdf of all kinds of books from part books to technical and how to fix. Anyways good luck and if you need the link maybe we can figure out how to get it to ya.

Marc

applehead

Harris, thanks for the tip the screen removal and it probably has gunk on bottom side and a few shots of Brakleen just might loosen it up.

goldenboy, I hope you like your 410, I have about 6 hours on mine and slowly and safely trying to learn good operating practices. Lately I have been grubbing brush and smaller trees from a ditchbank. It has quite a bit of power pulling root and all out with the help of the wet spring soil needing only a few dips with the bucket.

HarrisEquipment

I worked on a JD 7610 ag tractor with quad range transmission, had 3K or 4k hours. Water had gotten in the hyd/trans oil from swapping some dump bed trailers between it and 2 older 4020's that always had water mixed in. The glue used to hold the friction material onto the clutch disc wa water soluble in that machine. So almost every clutch disc shed its friction material. There was probably a pound of clutch material jammed against that screen. Toughest one I evver had to pull.

You might use some compressed air as well.

Good Luck.

I have a 78 JD 410 backhoe that I purchased last fall. Since then I have been changing filters and fluids. My goal today was to change the 2 hyrdaulic filters and fluid and also to clean out the screen. I drained both sumps and pulled the hydraulic and transmission filters (identical), no problem there. I struggled some removing the 1" diameter rubber hose coupling and then unscrewed the fitting to expose the screen. I tried using several tools including snap ring pliers to pull the screen out but to no avail. I called the Deere service tech and he thought there was an O ring on the back side that it must pull off from but he wasn't much help. So to not damage the plastic end of the screen or damage the screen itself I just inspected it the best I could and put the fitting and new short piece of oil resistant hose back together. I finished the fluid and filter change and everything seems alright. No leaks. My question is how do you remove this pesky screen without damaging it? I would like to know some ideas so the next fluid change I will be able to service the screen as well. Thanks.
Applehead, when you removed the transmission and Hydraulic filters, did all the hydraulic fluid all drain out? I want only to change the filters not the fluid.