• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 350D

duchek

Occupation
Farmer
I’m currently looking at buying a JD 350D hoe. It has about 9000 hours on it. Turbo has been replaced recently along with the rear crank seal and a rebuilt head on the motor. The only thing I’m concerned about is the bottom end. We farm with all green equipment and we are quite familiar with the JD 9 litre engines but not with those kind of hours on them. When do they usually need a bearing roll? Can you drop the oil pan without pulling the engine? I’m thinking not. Any comments or opinions are greatly appreciated.

Hoshaft

My brother in law had two 350's go down with cracked pistons both with roughly 6k hours, he steered me away from buying one. I to farm and run all green but ended up with a hitachi with the Isuzu engine. I really enjoy your projects on the combine forum. Happy hunting.

Vetech63

I have a customer with the 350D. It has around 7k hours with no engine problems to date. The biggest problem they have had is the hydraulic hoses developing leaks at the hose crimps, and pinholes that pop up in them from time to time. Its been a good machine for them.

duchek

Occupation
Farmer
My brother in law had two 350's go down with cracked pistons both with roughly 6k hours, he steered me away from buying one. I to farm and run all green but ended up with a hitachi with the Isuzu engine. I really enjoy your projects on the combine forum. Happy hunting.

Yeah we haven’t been building much in the shop this winter. Just fixing. Been doing custom bush clearing with our cat since Dec 1st. Also have our neighbor who we built our pulldozer’s with hired on with us with his cat. Pretty much one dozer in the shop all the time it seems. Dropped one through a dugout and had a fire on the other one. Replaced an undercarrige on our dozer and trackhoe over Xmas. Next week we are mounting a thumb on our 230. Can’t wait for seeding, maybe stuff will slow down.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
The 350Cs had a bit of a weak engine reputation. The D series have been very reliable machines. Of course good maintenance means everything. At 9,000 hrs I would expect its close to needing some work.