• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 329D intake Manifold sludge

Maurice Muenks

Occupation
Owner of an independant heavy equiptment repair bu
I am working on a John Deere 329D that has 597 hours on it. Antifreeze was leaking around the water pump like the seal was out of the shaft. In order to get to the radiator drain I ended up removing the rear belly pan. To get to the pump easier I removed the battery and intake lines. The intake and aftercooler are all clean and dry. When sticking my finger inside the intake/valve cover there is a wet sludge about 3/16 of an inch thick. Has anyone had similar experiences or any ideas what is causing this? The problem with the water pump was not only was the bearing loose but there wasn't a gasket between the pump housing and the timing cover. Kind of makes me wonder if there are more gaskets missing.

Nelsonequip

Occupation
Heavy equipment parts & service
I am working on a John Deere 329D that has 597 hours on it. Antifreeze was leaking around the water pump like the seal was out of the shaft. In order to get to the radiator drain I ended up removing the rear belly pan. To get to the pump easier I removed the battery and intake lines. The intake and aftercooler are all clean and dry. When sticking my finger inside the intake/valve cover there is a wet sludge about 3/16 of an inch thick. Has anyone had similar experiences or any ideas what is causing this? The problem with the water pump was not only was the bearing loose but there wasn't a gasket between the pump housing and the timing cover. Kind of makes me wonder if there are more gaskets missing.
Is it oil or water residue ? If its oil, is it turbo engine....if so check for plugged air cleaner that can cause turbo to blow oil in intank.
Mike

Nelsonequip

Occupation
Is it oil or water residue ? If its oil, is it turbo engine....if so check for plugged air cleaner that can cause turbo to blow oil in intank.
Mike

I saw you said intake....then valve cover..in that case it must be water. Check for coolant from engine drain after she's set

Maurice Muenks

Occupation
Mike

I have never seen one made like this the air goes in the side of what looks like the valve cover, the highest point of the engine, so I guess it is part of the valve cover because it only goes in about an inch. It does have an turbo on it but it is extreamly clean and dry nothing there. The residue is black not antifreeze color, not milky like condensation would be in a normal engine the has antifreeze in it.

Maurice

Nelsonequip

Occupation
I'd have to see that...now I'm confused that doesn't sound like anything I'm familiar with either, where's the John Deere mechanics out here ?

frogfarmer

Should be a 5 cyl 5030 and they do have an integrated intake/rocker cover but Ive never been inside one. I would suspect a small air leak or a crankcase vent causing an oily film where dirt not caught by the air filter is depositing. Any dirt ingestion is a bad thing so if thats the case I would be looking for the leak or poor seal at the air filter. Oil film in the intake tract is not uncommon but a thick sludge would be. Pics are always helpful.

JWJDM

The black soot is for the emissions for the motor it works kind of like egr system but using the valve train in the motor

Nelsonequip

Occupation
Judging by the hours you displayed from what I've found this would be a tier 3 engine ? But haven't found any pictures yet.
Mike

Maurice Muenks

Occupation
Pictures

Two of the intake ports are wet and 1 looks like it is exhaust instead of intake nice and dry. The other two are so-so. Not much room to take pictures. We removed cover thinking there might be a loose gasket, but it was all in tact. On to The next thought.

Maurice

Attachments

• 20140102_111309.jpg
    20140102_111309.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 308
  • 20140102_111413.jpg
    20140102_111413.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 301

Nelsonequip

Occupation
Two of the intake ports are wet and 1 looks like it is exhaust instead of intake nice and dry. The other two are so-so. Not much room to take pictures. We removed cover thinking there might be a loose gasket, but it was all in tact. On to The next thought.

Maurice
Are the air cleaners clean ? A dirty air cleaner can make the turbo put oil in the intake,
Mike

frogfarmer

As stated above I havent been inside one of these before but I can say that doesnt look normal by any standard of mine. Because the intake piping and intercooler are clean that is very strange. I also dont know what kind of exhaust this machine would have but a plugged or restricted exhaust could cause that. Hopefully one of the Deere guys will check in.

Maurice Muenks

Occupation
As stated above I havent been inside one of these before but I can say that doesnt look normal by any standard of mine. Because the intake piping and intercooler are clean that is very strange. I also dont know what kind of exhaust this machine would have but a plugged or restricted exhaust could cause that. Hopefully one of the Deere guys will check in.
Talked to several JD shops and they have never heard of this before. I have call one of our friends son that is and engineer at JD and he only does the large engines and he was going to ask around. Hopefully someone will have an idea. The air cleaners are spotless. I'm wondering now if they are running half of the exhaust into the intake through the head, my have to get my camera out and look down a port. My only other thought is that since it has hydraulic lifters that they are cutting the valve overlash too close and the valves open before all the exhaust is cleared from the cylinder, but you would think the turbo would take care of that.

frogfarmer

What is the chance this is operator induced by lugging the engine to near stall speed on a regular basis. I have seen similar issues in engines before with too much load and everything else was good. Valve overlap is the actual cause but running the engine at an RPM it wasnt designed for lets the exhaust back feed to the intake. Turbo failure or some other cause of exhaust back pressure also could cause backup in the intake.

JWJDM

The intake valves are opened partially during exhausts stroke to introduce exhausts gas to intake to give a even temp to help with emissions. Similar to egr system but without all the egr stuff. If you ever look in a intake of a motor were the egr gas enter the motor you see the same black soot.

frogfarmer

The intake valves are opened partially during exhausts stroke to introduce exhausts gas to intake to give a even temp to help with emissions. Similar to egr system but without all the egr stuff. If you ever look in a intake of a motor were the egr gas enter the motor you see the same black soot.

I cant dispute this as Deere is not one of my certifications but I have been in several tier 3 and a couple tier 4 engines none of which had this amount of buildup in the intake. I can understand the concept but I have to wonder if this particular engine doesn't have something else going on.

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner-Equipment & Parts Sales
Hello All, Just seen this thread and read to the end and then was like... HUH??? What ever happen with this engine problem?