• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 310c water pump/fan hub noise

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
It should have come with a pulley. Yes, there is a particular dimension to press the pulley to based on application. And good luck finding that spec for a 310C. I have always measured the old pulley's dimension before disassembly. For the procedure on pressing the pulley you need the manual CTM4.

The measurement will be off due the bad bearing. If you give me the dimension you measure I might be able to tell you what dimension it should be pressed on too.

62oliver

Ok, thanks, one of my manuals shows how to press it all apart and back together, I don't recall seeing a spec though.
What dimension are you referring to?
I suppose you could try to measure from mounting surface of pump on the engine block to the crank pulley and figure it out from there? I will be home in a few days and will have a look. Yes it did come with a new pulley.
I guess measuring it before pulling pump apart would have been the wise thing to do, owell, maybe next time.

62oliver

Thanks mg2361, too bad I skipped that step haha.
I wonder if Deere would have that info using my engine serial number?
Thanks again, lots of great help here!!

62oliver

I got home yesterday and had a look at new pump. It did not come with a new pulley, it is a hub with 2 sets of threaded holes and it would still need to be pressed on. Pump is completely assembled, I don't really get that, as it needs to be apart to press pulley (or the provided hub) on correct? It did come with gaskets however, I guess to account for taking apart to press on hub or pulley.
Guess I will have to use my old pulley.

62oliver

IMG_6872.JPG
There is the new hub, looks to me like it is intended for a bolt on pulley.
I'll have to take new pump apart to press old pulley on, don't know why they would assemble it without pulley or hub pressed on.

Welder Dave

If you can't find a dimension could the pulley be pressed on (lightly) and then the water pump temporarily installed to see if the belt runs straight? Maybe using a straight edge?

62oliver

I'm going to use a straight edge off the crank pulley and get a measurement to pump mount surface on engine block, should be able to figure it out from there I reckon. Its got a pair of V-belts, pretty forgiving, I ran it way too long with the bad bearing with no issues, and the belts were out by a mile hahahaha.

62oliver

So I looked a little more in my manual (CTM4) and found the spec for water pump pulley to face of pump housing, it is 6.40"
On the cover, that manual says it is for 4239 engines (among others) the tag on my engine says 4039DT003
On page 01-10 in manual CTM4 it lists 310C engine as being T04239DT003
Is this the wrong manual for my machine?
Thanks

62oliver

It should have come with a pulley. Yes, there is a particular dimension to press the pulley to based on application. And good luck finding that spec for a 310C.
I found that spec in manual CTM4 page 25-4

62oliver

I did some measuring off the crank pulley and calculating today and came up with a number 1.2mm different than the spec in the manual, so I'm confident I have the right spec.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Is this the wrong manual for my machine?

That is the correct manual for your engine.

I found that spec in manual CTM4 page 25-4

Yep, there it is. My manual is in PDF form so it is a pain to navigate. I always use the metric system because it is more accurate so 6.4" would be 162.5mm. That rings a bell:D.

62oliver

Got machine all back together and running today, everything seems fine. The only thing I couldn't do was bleed the air out of the head as the manual cautions you to do. I tried to take the temp sensor at back of head out as they recommend to get all the air out. It was very tight and I didn't want to break it off. So I parked machine with front end lifted up in air a few feet to hopefully get any air in head to rise to the front of engine and out. Tried to get pipe plug out of thermostat housing, but this was very tight too. (back in the day I would have just broke everything, so I'm getting better) Thanks to all you guys, especially mg2361!!!!
You guys are the best!!