• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 310a Backhoe Oil Cooler size??

comet424

hi i need to replace/upgrade my hydraulic cooler for the 310a backhoe
since a new one is $1500 before taxes

does anyone know the Flow rate for this rad pump is 28gpm but what is the size for the rad so i can try to find an equalvant

as i cant find specs on the oil cooler

Delmer

How often do you use this in hot weather? If it was mine, I'd bypass the cooler entirely and shut it off when it gets to a certain temp, wait half an hour and start again. Warmed up is around 200 F so you're going to be able to do odds and ends for quite a while before the oil gets too hot.

comet424

ah i dont use it too often just on my property i just wanted to make sure i had proper cooling
and dont use it in hot weather much just when i need it

i tried to fit this one in but its too big
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/13-gpm-hydraulic-oil-cooler/A-p8519712e

and these 2 i was looking at plumb the antifreeze through it
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/16-gpm-liquid-cooled-hydraulic-oil-cooler/A-p8093007e
and
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/26-4-gpm-liquid-cooled-hydraulic-oil-cooler/A-p8113615e

how long does it usualyl take for it to get to 200 degrees the oil?

Delmer

How long it takes to heat up depends on how hard you work the hydraulics and how efficient the pump is.

I don't know how much of the flow goes through the cooler, you'd have to look at the service manual to see what the system does, or try to match it based on the size of the fittings and headers. Don't go too much smaller on the fittings, the size of the cooler itself can be much smaller depending on how the hydraulic fluid flows. The other consideration is the pressure rating on the cooler vs existing, sometimes pressure is used as a measure of viscosity which is used as a measure of temp, that is, the cooler regulating valve relieves the pressure (bypasses) to the cooler when the oil is cool and the pressure is high, and blocks the bypass when the backpressure from the cooler is lower (when the oil is hot and thin).

comet424

ah ok ill have to try to find it.. orginal cooler is a 3/4 fitting the 3 coolers i shown are 3/4 inlet
the 16gpm has a 150psi rating.. 26.4gpm has a 170psi rating and the first one i did like just the grill with 2 fans is13gpm at 290 psi

not sure how much pressure is in those lines for the cooler

comet424

i get confused with the bypass stuff cooler or hoter temps figured bypass only bypass when pressure too high lol