• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JCB Backhoe (1985) - Pros / Cons

Bill Smith

Occupation
Rental House Owner
I guess the question would be is this the backhoe you wanted ? Was it given to you or did you purchase it site unseen .For me I would not buy one do to the fact we have no dealer representation .I am not sure were they are made . I heard in England . I have heard more cons on this site than pros for JCB .I myself have owned JD and Case with no major issues . We would run our TBLs 5 to 7 thousand hrs . Only money spent on some hoses tires bucket teeth servicing etc etc .

geokoppmann

Occupation
Retired; Part time Gunsmith
IMG_3160.jpgIMG_3161.jpgIMG_3163.jpgIMG_3164.jpgIMG_3162.jpg

Thanx for your speedy reply Bill ! I purchased the JCB (Model still unknown) from the estate of a rancher who died of cancer. I examined the machine as did a long time well driller/former logger who has considerable experience with backhoes; dozers; loaders etc.

There is a JCB Dealer here in the Northwest in Missoula, MT (285 miles from Sandpoint). From apperances, the former owner was meticulous about preventative maintenance - the machine was well taken care of and kept in a covered shed. The former owners widow was a working partner in their ranch and says that the only problems they ever had with the machine is leaking or broken hoses which were repaired/replaced immediately. They did not run it with leaks.

I haven't been able to edetermine it's model yet, the printing on the ID plate is badly worn but the S/N and Eng.# 's are stamped into the AL plate so they're visible. By the time I made the deal yesterday the Dealer ws closed for the holiday weekend so I'll have to wait to pick his brain on the Model and any repair records they may have. The loader bucket is 8" wide and the hoe bucket is 24" wide.

It is one of the larger backhoes I've seen -somewhere around a JD 510 or large Cat backhoe. I'm very familiar with the Case 580B and the JD 410 but this machine is about 25% larget that either of them. I've been out of the dirtwork and paving busdiness for28 yrs so I'm having to learn what all the currently available models are.

I've tried on line to find a link but haven't had time to go thru all the machines that are for sale yet.

Thanx again for your input. (I'll post a pic. as soon as I can figure out how to upload on to this forum.

LMST

Occupation
Tax Prep.
05 jcb

JCB- I had the J.C.Bamford factory tour in Rochester, England. It is a fabulous plant which starts with plates of steel and ends with final machine testing. JCB is one of the last family owned large business still in the UK. Machines for USA were made in the state of Georgia, so that they could qualify for the U.S. military orders. Most have a proven Perkins engine, some later ones use their own JCB engine, since CAT bought Perkins it was too close for competion. In the UK and many other countries, they don't call for a backhoe they just say -get the JCB. I have a 2005 JCB 214e, out fitted with a

geokoppmann

Occupation
Thanx for your input. I pleased to hear of your JCB Factory experiences - that's comforting info.

Your statement ended with "out fitted with a . . ."

JCB- I had the J.C.Bamford factory tour in Rochester, England. It is a fabulous plant which starts with plates of steel and ends with final machine testing. JCB is one of the last family owned large business still in the UK. Machines for USA were made in the state of Georgia, so that they could qualify for the U.S. military orders. Most have a proven Perkins engine, some later ones use their own JCB engine, since CAT bought Perkins it was too close for competion. In the UK and many other countries, they don't call for a backhoe they just say -get the JCB. I have a 2005 JCB 214e, out fitted with a

bill onthehill

I ran one about that vintage for about 6 months installing sewers. Was a good strong machine but heavy as can be. The only issue I ever had was a broken wire to the stop solenoid. I would say it is a mid 80's machine. I beat through a lot of limestone with it and it held up rather well. The guy who hauled it to job sites always fussed how heavy it was.

geokoppmann

Occupation
That's good news about the machine's ability to dig. With the 8' wide loader bucket and the long hoe boom I doubt that it could be towed by anything lighter that a 3500 dual wheel pickup or a bob tail dump truck. I'll be using it digging out old growth tree stumps; building a road; plowing snow on a 3/4 mile rough dirt mountain road; grading Bldg. sites and skidding felled 30" -36" DBH 40' long timber on a 'almost' pristine homestead. The only issues with this machine are that the compression dump cable sticks in the open position, (it works to shut the engine down but you have to manually push it forward with your finger) AND, that the starter switch doesn't work, (you have to short across the starter soleoid with a screw driver to get it to fire up). Actually those two 'deficiencies seem to be really simple security measures against any unauthorized uninformed persons trying to get it running.

mitch504

It'll be at least 8 tons, probably less than 10. I think you're thinking too light w/the 3500 pickup, but that subject has been beat to death in other threads.

muskoka guy

Occupation
builder
We have one very similar, except ours is 4 x 4 and extend a hoe. Ours is a 1988 1400b. It weighs 15000 lbs. Ours has the perkins diesel and has been a great motor. We have owned the machine for ten years and have very little problems with them. Parts have been easy to get out of Toronto for us. They are a large machine. Lots of power to lift. We have forks for ours and it will lift large lifts of lumber and logs. One beef with ours is the mechanism that holds the rear boom up when not in use. My buddy says they we a bad design and someone had removed it off our machine. A pair of chain hooks were welded on the boom and a short chain is used to chain up the rear boom when not in use. Other than that, it has paid for itself three times over and is still going strong with approx. 10,000 hrs on it.

Deon

I've run a newer a 1995 job and find it harder to see what your doing both front and back than with my JD. But I also noticed that the frame is much more solid and does a lot less bouncing when roading it. So I guess you can't make solid equipment with small steel.

LMST

Occupation
Tax Prep.
JCB, Outfitted with a Grapple

As I was saying before, I have a 214e out fitted with a Grapple Bucket connected through a custom Quick-tach setup that attaches where the four bucket pins mount. The third hydraulic valve was already in place but not plumbed or with a handle. I do a lot of log and limb cleanup with this setup, just be careful to not throw all of the JCB's power into the (skidsteer) grapple bucket.
L

oldtanker

Occupation
Ret
I've got an older one. 70's 3CIII. Works good but has goofy ends on the hydraulics that makes replacements more expensive. It looks OK and runs OK but parts are a problem. My closest dealer was 90 miles away. The first time I needed something I had a VA appointment the same day. Got done at VA and went to the dealer about 10:30 AM. Got told "sorry as of 8AM we are no longer a dealer". Now it's online or a 150 mile one way drive.

Rick