• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JCB 8018 CTS No Start - Electrical Shut Off

cloves

Hi all,

My jcb 8018 didn't want to turn on today. Its been about 4 weeks since I started it. I have been checking the battery and voltage is 12.8 so it looks good. Today (Very hot here 95 btw) went to start it. Turned the key to the first position, chime played as normal, then I turned to position 3 for the glow plug heat up. Electrical went completely dead. No more chime or lights etc. Last couple of times I was having a problems with machine turning on. It would crank but wouldn't turn on after heating the glow plugs. I would wait about 15 minutes and try again and it would turn on and work for the day.

But now I am not even getting power at the key. Machine has full tank of diesel, oil is good, coolant good. I put a trickle charger on the battery but I don't think that is the issue.

Thoughts?

cloves

Hi all, Update, so checked my primary fuse and it was blown.

So I picked up a new 50 amp maxi fuse (that is what was in there) and swapped. Then I went to start the machine again first position no problem, but key position 2 to warm up the glow plugs, blew the fuse again.

So here is the weird part, I checked the wiring diagram and it says the fuse should be 80 amps. I was thinking maybe this wiring diagram is for a year earlier. But then I checked the plastic fuse holder and it also says 80 amps! So I am assuming the place I got my machine from has incompetent mechanics. But the machine has worked for me for at least a good 20 hours with this 50 amp fuse.

Anyone have any ideas why the machine would work (even though it was hard to start sometimes) for so many hours and then all of sudden start blowing the fuse?

cloves

The machine is back up and running. I decided to take a look all over for grounds on the machine. Sure enough on the top right hand side of the engine there is a ground that had completely come off the screw it was one. Apparently the nut decided to fall off. Machine started right up.

I put new 80 amp fuse where the 50 amp use to go. Still a little puzzled as to why a lower fuse would work.

Anthony33

Hi I have a jcb 8018 2014 turn ignition no prog light come on turned it to start but nothing happened now I have no ignition lights coming on checked all the fuses all okay battery is fully charged cross the starter and it’s turning over Will not start no ignition lights coming on at all can anybody shed any light please (I replaced ignition switch for new one as well)

Mark Sutton

When you say all the fuses, does that include the main fuse? It's in a separate holder not the fuse bus with the other 8. It should be 80 amps. It's below the fuse bus next to a like 20 gang connector that goes to the cab. Fuse 1 controls the lift pump as well as a fuel cut off solenoid. So even if you can crank without that fuse powered up it will not start. If the main fuse is blown nothing else works.