• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

IUOE Local 12 Apprentice

Wyoming

Occupation
Retired
Wow cool board I just found it, kudos to whoever started it!

I was in the first apprenticeship (Sep 01 1966 ) group in local twelve Operating Engineers Bakersfield got my journeyman card Sep 1st 1970, we were the only 4 year apprentice group that I know of in local 12. I worked on most of the big projects in southern California including, freeways, dams, aqueduct and tunnels etc.

After I became a journeyman I stayed with the operating engineers for 20 years + Now retired living in Wyoming! Would like to hear from others that served in the local 12 apprenticeship program.

I understand one of the guys that was in the first group with me is now a Business Agent out of Bakersfield.

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
I went through the program :usa
Would you happen to know the BA's name?
:cool:

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
I got my card in 1989.
You moved up based on the hours you worked.
C. C. Wood did a prison east of here.
It was good for 7-12's so the hrs added up fast.
My total time as an apprentice was about 2.5 yrs.
:cool:

Wyoming

Occupation
Retired
Pete
We started at a % rate of journeyman, I think I was making about $3.50 a hour when I was first indentured. What is scale out there now? Did you go to school at night as part of the program?

Because we were the first group of apprentice out of Bakersfield we were under a lot of pressure to please the contractors so the program would be successful. One of the big shots from down south came to our first class and told us we were lower than dog crap and to do whatever the contractors told us to. LOL true story!

Where did the name RollOver Pete come from? Did you roll something?

Jason F

Going through it right now. If things go right its a 3 year program. Some like me are looking at over 4 years because of lack of work.

Wyoming

Occupation
Retired
Going through it right now. If things go right its a 3 year program. Some like me are looking at over 4 years because of lack of work.

Been there for sure, hang in there I made a good living from the trade over the years! Just don't beat yourself to death to please a contractor, I did and I am really paying for it now with all the aches and pains. There will always be another job but once we bust up our body it is over.

ronnie

can you guys tell me more about the union i worked for a company 1 time that was union but when they did 400 through atlanta,ga they hired non-union operator's i guess because the union is'nt big in the south but if i move north or west i can't buy a job because i'm not union and i would like to know more about it thanks

Wyoming

Occupation
Retired
can you guys tell me more about the union i worked for a company 1 time that was union but when they did 400 through atlanta,ga they hired non-union operator's i guess because the union is'nt big in the south but if i move north or west i can't buy a job because i'm not union and i would like to know more about it thanks

Hi Ronny, Please be more specific okay, what would you like to know about the IUOE? I suspect the non-union hiring you referred to is because NC is a right to work state. Basically the non-union people are hired because the contractors don't have to pay Union wages or benefits. See below image.

us-map.gif

If you are looking to move west Wyoming has lots of work in the open pit mines etc. Be ready for some severe weather though, most of the heavy equipment here has cabs and heaters for a good reason. I ran a bald headed dozer in a gravel pit here when I first moved back from California, it got down to -40 without the wind chill factored in that winter.

The second year I griped until I got curtains to direct engine heat to me but it was still mighty cold. The third year I went to work for the local county road and bridge department as a blade operator, had cab, heater and air condition. In any case if you want work we have it!

ronnie

thanks wyo. for the reply the map helped out alot i figured all states out west were mainley union and for the weather in wyo. i know its cold i drove many miles between illinois and utah the weather don't really bother me if the pay is good and the work is steady my kid's don't care how cold dad gets lol. gets cold here (not like there but it gets cold) i operate a open cab dozer year round. i was just wonderin if i were to move out west how hard would it be for me to get in the union if i needed and the apprenticeship thing i know everybody starts at the bottom but the only dirt moving machine i can't operate is a dragline and shovel with cable's hyd. shovel no problem and i been finishing for 19yrs. right now i'm a workin forman as there called where i work i run the crew use a gps to set the stakes and finish all my own slopes and pads plus fill out all my own paper work now i'm not cryin i love what i do i been with this company almost 10 yrs. but things are at a stand still and they are'nt gettin any work and i with 4 kid's and a wife will travel because they get hungry even if the company ain't workin thats why i was wonderin about the union

Wyoming

Occupation
Retired
Hi Ronnie
I am not sure about the mines (never worked in one) but I think they are union also, but hire non-union as well. I know the pay is good people talk about making 50 - 60 g a year. With the skills you already have I am not sure the apprenticeship program would be the way to go you for because you do start at a much lower pay rate than a journeyman, you wouldn't have any problems finding work here. Road construction here is seasonal like everywhere but there are many year around jobs for sure. The mine equipment has cabs and heaters maybe even air-conditioning.

It has been so long ago that I served my apprentice that any info I could give you would be outdated but, a call to the union there or here would get you the current information you are looking for in that area.

It seems to me that if the mines (or anyone) hire a non-union person they then have the option of join the union, but don't quote me on that, again a call to the union would give you that information. I added a link to Arch Coal below that has a huge workforce, there are several other mines in the area as well.

I know what you are dealing with when the family gets hungry it is time to look for work elsewhere. I love Wyoming the wide open spaces freaks out a lot of people but all the congestion back east freaks me out. Fishing and hunting here is great as well as camping in the high country. Wildlife is abundant and although I don't hunt I shoot them with a camera, when I lived in California the only wildlife I seen was on the strip LOL. If there is anything else I can do to help just let me know okay!

http://www.archcoal.com/aboutus/careersearch.asp

ronnie

thanks for the help you are just like a friend of mine he's from out west to and will try to help with any Q's i have about workin in the west but right now he's as far south in fl. as he can get he talks about the union in the west and workin for E.L Yeager yrs. ago . he tells me the road from kingman to laughlin is now 4 lane god the last time i was out it was a winding 2 lane with a red light at the bottom in town.

FloridaIron

Unions in the South

I have stopped and talked to the IUOE people here in Florida. There does not seem to be alot for dirt operators but they are hurting for crane guys. I have very little knowledge about unions as they are not promoted alot here in Florida but they were offering approx 26.00 hr plus the benefits for crane guys and around 23.00 hr for dirt. But very littel work for dirt.

I was thinking of buying my own book but was informed that I would be looked down on. That it was considered unfair. I have about 18 years experience running dirt equipment and was under the impression that I would test out as a journeyman but I wouldnt be able to get any work if it came around. How would that work if I joined the union and went to another state to work?

I have been trying to get in the pipeline area of work but it seems to be holding back since Obama said he was against drilling. I dont know whats up but need to get to work. Got laid off 2 months ago and the work outlook in Florida is dismal. My wife says I am driving her crazy being around home all the time.

Stay Alert Stay Alive!

Mike

Wyoming

Occupation
Retired
FloridaIron

It has been far to long since I started with the IUOE to give you reliable information but, as I recall if you buy a book you go on a C list when all the people on the A and B list are working they call up the C list. When you get called for a job you move to the B list and after a period of time working you are moved to the A list. I think this would depend on the local IUOE office not sure.

As far as people looking down on you for supporting your family well that is their problem not yours. Once on the job you are just another operator, the only difference would be the A, B or C on your card and no one wears the card like a nametag.

Here in Wyoming they have found vast amounts of natural gas reserves and many pipelines are being built to transport it. Obama also said he is going to invest in our infrastructure big time, long overdue. That will produce a lot of new jobs for heavy equipment operators as well as the other trades. Drilling will happen especially now, in spite of what Obama says, it is a must!

Energy production is going to produce more jobs as well, we already have a worker shortage here. Wyoming has some of the cleanest coal in the states and new coal gasification plants are on the books now. We have some huge mines here and the coal trains run 24-7 feeding the energy hungry areas. Clean coal technology is a must if we are to become energy independent.

FloridaIron

I am with you 100% on the jobs to be created by the oil and gas industry. With out new exploration, drilling, and transportation of materials. If they stop now things will get worse. Unemployemnt will go even higher than it is expected to go.

I looked into the Wyoming mines but have not found anything. Wife and I are talking about moving out to Texas way, providing I can find something for work out there. Something will turn up I am sure. Headed to Longview tomorrow. Kinda feel like Henry Fonda in the Grapes of Wrath.

Mike

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
I have stopped and talked to the IUOE people here in Florida. There does not seem to be alot for dirt operators but they are hurting for crane guys. I have very little knowledge about unions as they are not promoted alot here in Florida but they were offering approx 26.00 hr plus the benefits for crane guys and around 23.00 hr for dirt. But very littel work for dirt.

I was thinking of buying my own book but was informed that I would be looked down on. That it was considered unfair. I have about 18 years experience running dirt equipment and was under the impression that I would test out as a journeyman but I wouldnt be able to get any work if it came around. How would that work if I joined the union and went to another state to work?

I have been trying to get in the pipeline area of work but it seems to be holding back since Obama said he was against drilling. I dont know whats up but need to get to work. Got laid off 2 months ago and the work outlook in Florida is dismal. My wife says I am driving her crazy being around home all the time.

Stay Alert Stay Alive!

Mike

Mike I'm not sure what you mean by "buying a book". Probably just different terminology. If you mean getting in as a journeyman, I don't think anyone would look down on you. I'm not sure about Florida, but everyplace I know of a lot of operators have gotten in as journeyman. Many years ago, before my time there was no formal training, everybody learned on the job. Even today a lot of people working have learned that way. I think the looking down on you describe is more in the other trades, who started formal apprentice training years before there was such a thing for operators, and nearly all their people go through it. I never worked in Florida so I don't know how their hiring works. Hope this helps you.

Bob K

Occupation
Fleet Manager/Safety Officer
Way late but, Bucket head is right. No one will look down on you. Everyone pays to get in the Union. You need 3 years verifiable experience. You can get on the out of work list for a few bucks a month. You'll have to go out on the C list. There are A, B and C lists. You can spread the iniation fee out over several months, make arrangements with the union so they know what's going on. Be ready to roll to the job the next morning. Keep your card on you at all times while you're on the job. Don't take a job you're not qualified for or it's back to the bottom of the list. You can transfer you're membership between locals.

Tommygun

Occupation
Operating Engineer Local 12, CA
ive been in construction all my life and ive been in iuoe local 12 for 1 year. i just passed my written crane test and take the practical this saturday. i love local 12. at 27 years old i can finally afford to take a vacation, people listen to my opinions and im paid what im worth for the first time. i love local 12 and all the brothers who came before me allowing this to actually happen. i was an oiler pre union for $10 an hr, $25 in the union. need i say more.