• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

It Begins: Big Bud Tractor to be Produced Again, Simple and Repairable

chidog

I think the consensus is "simple" and "repairable" are subjective terms. The definition of those terms, or what each means to each person is going to be driven by money. I mean, are you going to be able to just run out to the machine with a sledge hammer and fix it? Probably not. You're no doubt going to have to have some fairly in - depth knowledge of electronic control systems, and emissions / after treatment / EGR all that stuff. You're going to have to have a computer, and software and all that. But that's par for the course anymore. The goal posts have moved, and some people (like me!) like where they were before :)
Like OzDozer mentioned, all that electronic garbage could be obsolete, inoperative and unobtainable in one day. And we all thought the Chip shortage was bad. That is what will define simple and repairable.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Problem is Emissions has come to all engines, standby units, off road, heavy mining, rail, all of it and no one except us is looking back. Does not matter to the general public what the devices really do or how well they really perform (They don't) they hear the cries of Climate Change and no other voices as that is all the media is currently hyping. The costs are what we see, adding a fluid to allow a converter to achieve a conversion and enough heat to remove a minimum quantity of 'Soot' the powers that be blame everything from birth defects to every lung disease attributable to other factors while those numbers are not changing with all these magic mechanisms. Hit any of the geek 'Experts' with questions as to those Guesstimation numbers justification in real time real numbers as to Saved Lives or Health they look at you mumble 'Denier' then get back into their Suburban with guard dogs in their Suburban's or large transit buses and leave to go catch a flight to another scheduled rendition of guessing game popularization.
We all see it, we all know it as work with it, all the Magic special circuit processors growing in numbers with wiring as thick as a bad wig feeding all these marvels of distracting nonsense. We grew up in a time where a radio and cable operated controls were fine, where now the machines are being designed with all these bells and whistles for the Homers to find the next donut shop down the road with Wi-Fi to play TikTok from. Entertainment and fingertip presentations is the new basis of design.

What most will not ever know is that Russia, General Asia including China, Africa and S America do not use much of any of what we and the EU do, they do not generally buy new machines every few years rebuilding as we have shown in YT Vids all those ancient mechanical and very manageable machines with very primitive shops and tooling. Newer machines in China or Russia are still all mechanical and they do not care if cannot export to here as have other buyers, limited accessory, do the job machines and will remain that way long after ours are running thru shredders.

Last edited:

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
You can probably be thankful all your hi-tech, hi-maintenance modern military equipment is built that way - because it means that most of that $380B worth of that stuff you left in Ashcanistran can't be used against you!
It might just provide a source of low grade income for a few Ashcanistran peasants, though, if they find out they can pull out all those harnesses and ECU's and PCB's, and make a few bucks blackmarketing them!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I think all the time what will the future hold . These cars ,pickups,trucks, heavy equipment and farm stuff is so high tec hard and costly to repair will this put having this stuff out of reach for the average person in the future?

Yes it will, that is why I know it will change. The chickens have not come home to roost quite yet but that time is rapidly approaching, this techno garbage is getting older now. When suddenly everyone cannot afford a used car any more because there are not enough left running to sell, at least some people will realize things need to change. Corporations/government cannot bleed everyone's pocketbook forever.

Truck Shop

Yes it will, that is why I know it will change. The chickens have not come home to roost quite yet but that time is rapidly approaching, this techno garbage is getting older now. When suddenly everyone cannot afford a used car any more because there are not enough left running to sell, at least some people will realize things need to change. Corporations/government cannot bleed everyone's pocketbook forever.

In a sense it's what caused the great depression only on a different scale.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
Like OzDozer mentioned, all that electronic garbage could be obsolete, inoperative and unobtainable in one day. And we all thought the Chip shortage was bad. That is what will define simple and repairable.
True, but that's the norm now, right? I mean every engine that has been made in the last 20-ish years is littered with sensors. I'm sure you run into this as much as I do, where one fails and the OEM of the machine doesn't have it / can't get it / whatever and you're forced to try and figure out who made the damn thing in the first place, and go an Alibaba or something and try and get one that way. That's the new "norm", it's insane. That was more or less my point, what was simple and repairable. Even though that's how the world works now, and everyone has to deal with it, I don't call that simple and repairable at all. I call that a giant PITA. Add to that the costs of everything is skyrocketing, I have to pass those costs on to the guy who hired me, he has to pass that on to the guy who pays him, etc, and the price of a loaf of bread is double what it was 20 years ago, and people wonder why. OK, I kinda got on my soapbox there for a sec, sorry :)

excavator

I agree and I think that is a big reason they're pushing it. Total control and since public transportation now runs far out into the rural areas many climate worshipers won't care if they can no longer drive or own a vehicle.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
They are out there beating the bushes, explaining that as Humans we "Need" to stop driving around in ANY Cars, was on MSN this morning where they were speaking on the extreme mining to get Lithium , Cobalt Etc, where that could "Literally Stop" was the Wording should Humans resolve to Bicycles and Mass Transit, guess they have no clue how crops or products are moved or how workers get to work. The use of Motorized albeit IC or Electrical transport is not coming to a end and the Greenies are just figuring out they are trading 6 of one for half dozen the other. World Economic Forum was sounding Scary, one speaker was recorded as stating Bans of Automobiles would HAVE to Happen, except for theirs, and that Populations would need to Notably Decrease Worldwide, and again caveat, but not affect their finances. No explanations of HOW these two functions would occur, but these people sit on that vast majority of On Paper Wealth, all of which could go POOF and vanish at any given moment. Money or wealth is fleeting as well a Ideology not a hard fact. Money, Material Value, Banking and Loans are all made up by Human Minds, can also disappear as easily as made up.

Globe gets hit with a violent enough Depression, will be stragglers and few survivors as to Financial Wealth.
BTW these Economy Gurus are also Aged and some Heavily, even Al Gore got to come visit with them, he looked Fat but less than happy.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Planned obsolescence has been around for decades:rolleyes:

Only it has gotten worse. A Module used up to eight years ago is now borderline Obsolete where NO more will be produced in around a year moving production to the next generations which as we know have pretty well become one to two years of use then change up again so at Nine years (Subject to change) will see those obsolesce and become NLA as supplies dry up. Smart people are buying the PROM Units where can rebuild and upgrade so many of these but will need exchange units as well Rebuildable units to keep pace of retention. Hell over half the soft parts on my '99 ford are NLA, some aftermarket but function odd to the OE Specs.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
fringe | frinj | noun 1 (the fringe or the fringes) the border or outer edges of an area or group: the southern fringes of the city | people on the fringe of the crowd had trouble hearing him. • the unconventional, extreme, or marginal part of a group or sphere of activity: the lunatic fringe of American political life | rap music is no longer something on the fringe.

So fringe means something way outside of a statistical norm. How can a fringe group of anything run anything in a democracy? Are you saying all us normal people are so stupid that we let fringe groups dictate our future? Or are you saying that we are the fringe group?

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
You can probably be thankful all your hi-tech, hi-maintenance modern military equipment is built that way - because it means that most of that $380B worth of that stuff you left in Ashcanistran can't be used against you!
It might just provide a source of low grade income for a few Ashcanistran peasants, though, if they find out they can pull out all those harnesses and ECU's and PCB's, and make a few bucks blackmarketing them!
I believe they figured out and fixed the Abraham's that were left behind .