• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Issue with 310C Cylinder Seal

CumminsTD

Occupation
Hydroelectric Turbines
So today I decided to install the bucket cylinder seal kit I bought from Broken Tractor for my John Deere 310C. Everything was going smooth including the nut removal until I got to the buffer seal. For reference, the buffer seal is on the ID of the gland, farthest from the threaded end.

The seal I recieved is a nylon seal that's slightly larger in diameter and significantly thicker than what came out. I wouldn't even think it's the same seal but it's what was left after everything else got installed and nothing else in the kit came close to what came out.

Anyone got any ideas on this one?

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_7463.jpg
    IMG_7463.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_7464.jpg
    IMG_7464.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_7466.jpg
    IMG_7466.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 246

Deon

So today I decided to install the bucket cylinder seal kit I bought from Broken Tractor for my John Deere 310C. Everything was going smooth including the nut removal until I got to the buffer seal. For reference, the buffer seal is on the ID of the gland, farthest from the threaded end.

The seal I recieved is a nylon seal that's slightly larger in diameter and significantly thicker than what came out. I wouldn't even think it's the same seal but it's what was left after everything else got installed and nothing else in the kit came close to what came out.

Anyone got any ideas on this one?

Thanks,
Mike

You have no choice but to contact Broken Tractor for the correct part.
Try to find a number on the cylinder barrel. I have a 310D and each cylinder has numbers stamped on the exterior of the barrels. They are not always obvious, especially it the cylinder has been repainted. You may have a non-OEM cylinder. The number will tell Broken Tractor if its original or not. If you cant find a number stamped into the steel and the other barrel have numbers then you may have an aftermarket cylinder. You can go the a cylinder repair shop with the old seal and have it matched up that way.
Good luck.

CumminsTD

Occupation
Hydroelectric Turbines
Thanks for the reply Deon. That was going to be my next step but now I'm pretty certain it's an OEM cylinder.
I called Broken Tractor today and learned they had this issue recently with another one of the later 310C hoes. They called their seal supplier but were unable to get the correct buffer seal for me. They were however more than fair in dealing with the cost of the parts. I called my local Deere dealer and although the kit was $56 ($20 more than BT) they had one in stock and the replacement buffer seal was identical to what I had removed.

As a side note, the Dude I dealt with at Broken Tractor (Chance) was easy to deal with, eager to help and was more than willing to make it right on the bill so I could source the parts elseware with minimal extra cost. I will certainly be dealing with them again in the future.

Mike