• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Is the Terex ADT Upgrade Enough?

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist
Terex upgraded its TA40 articulated dump truck, renaming it TA400 without increase in power or capacity. But the CAN-bus electronic control network should not only improve digital-control performance but dramatically reduce the amount of wiring in the truck. Is that and a cab upgrade enough to interest you in a Terex ADT?

Attachments

• cex1003_LS_TerexADT.jpg
    cex1003_LS_TerexADT.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 4,649

alco

A contractor back at home has/had....not sure of the current status......an old green 2766 truck I think it was. It was a pretty solid machine, with very few problems. They bought it used from overseas, and it started it's life working at the channel tunnel. It was pretty long in the tooth when they picked it up, but they used it for logging road construction and it seemed to be OK.

Now I know that was an older truck, but it's the only one I have had any dealings with, so it's hard to say for me. I've heard some horror stories about newer Terex artics, so I'm not sure which way I'd go.

Ross

Not the best ADT around.

Worked on them allot while up Scotland, The motors are fairly strong but the trannys are weak (ZF) .... Allot of problems with pump systems on them as well ...

The rest of the truck is OK at best. Ive seen the majority of this truck break real bad.

Probably too late for them now .. Unless companys get a real good deal on them ...

The Scottish machines where replaced with CAT ADT's that are just as crappy ... Stick with Volvo ..

coalrulz

Komatsu ATD's

I've worked on Terex and Deere(bell) ATD and I currently work for Komatsu. Komatsu (in my opinion) has a well built machine, with very good axles, tranny, and center(swivel) section.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I've worked on them all and Terex for years was almost the worst. The ZF tranny's early failure rates were absolutely horrible. You couldn't fix them either as ZF would not sell parts. Your only option in those days was an exchange to the tune of $15,000 plus freight out and back. I was told the problem was that Terex specified the wrong model transmission in those days from the factory. Most of that went away in the 3066 models.

The dry external brakes went away in months when working in wet ground and I've had center hitches turn the machines into bucking broncos. The frames and boxes did hold up well though. Too bad the electrical systems were crap also. The engines, either Deutz or the Cummins would get some blow by and soak all the harnesses under the hood and pretty soon you had a bunch of cross talk. Made for some interesting problems.

They were cheap at the time though compared to Cats and Volvos.

So would I consider one now just because they installed a Can-bus system? Probably would depend on the purchase price, warranty, parts availability and trained service personnel. When I worked for the dealer the only thing Terex provided was the purchase price.

JDOFMEMI

I would hesitate before buying the Terex artics based on what I have seen with some local people I know who had them. As mentioned above, the ZF trans issue was horrible. Not only the short life and high price, but it would take forever to get the parts from Germany. One guy I know had a 4066 water wagon, and he waited nearly 3 months to get it repaired.
Also known for many electrical problems.
One rental company I know got a fleet of TA-40's, genIII, and had so much trouble during the first 18 months that they forced Terex to buy them back, at least that was the story I was told. Trans trouble and electrical trouble were the main problems.

They are cheap, but need to be so you can buy enough spares to get the job done.

Just my opinion.

John C.

Occupation
The Deere trucks are made by Bell out of South Africa. I've looked at several with only a couple of thousand hours on them and didn't find much of anything wrong with them outside of customer damage. I haven't operated one outside of a simple test and can't tell you about ride and comfort.

One would think Deere would have a better parts supply but I don't know that for sure. As I recall they have Mercedes Benz engines which are very good until you have to fix them.

farm_boy

The Deere trucks are made by Bell out of South Africa. I've looked at several with only a couple of thousand hours on them and didn't find much of anything wrong with them outside of customer damage. I haven't operated one outside of a simple test and can't tell you about ride and comfort.

One would think Deere would have a better parts supply but I don't know that for sure. As I recall they have Mercedes Benz engines which are very good until you have to fix them.

All of the Deere trucks in North America are produced by Deere in their Davenport Works plant. The 250 and 300 have Deere engines and the 350 and 400 have Merc V6's. I got to spend a little time in the D Series II a few weeks ago. I was very impressed with the items that have been incorporated.

Some of these include:
On board payload scales - std
Tire pressure monitoring - std
Body roll over protection - std
Keyless start - std
Auto Turbo cool down - std
Auto parking brake - std

Check them out here

Attachments

• payload system.jpg
    payload system.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 1,406
  • roll over protection.jpg
    roll over protection.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,389
  • TPMS.JPG
    TPMS.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 1,394

bigdig

Occupation
part time contractor/landscaper
Deere upgrades

Farmboy,
I am suprised Deere did not elimate the ribbed dump body in favor of the smooth sided piece as they have done on the trucks made in Germany and South Africa. Maybe we'll see additonal upgrades when the next series rolls out? Conexpo 2011?
There seems to be a misconception that Deere ADTs are not built in the USA. I can assure you, they are built right here in Davenport Iowa. They were originally manufactured in South Africa. Keep in mind, Deere owns approx. 29% of Bell. The rest of Bell is owned by members of Bell's founding family, and traded publically.As demand grew, production facilities were set up in the US and Germany. Domestic production probably helps with exchange rates as well.The trucks built in outside of the US are branded Bell, and are slightly different than the US trucks.
Cat and Terex ADTs are built in England, Volvo in Sweden, Moxy in Norway. The only other truck assembled here are the Komatsu trucks in Georgia.

Attachments

• B50D MK4.jpg
    B50D MK4.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 2,180

John C.

Occupation
The units I looked at last year were one year old and stated right on the tag that they were built in South Africa. New plants in US are a good thing and I welcome hearing that.

BigfootBushy

Occupation
Plant Operator
The company I work for has 3 Bell B25C trucks with merc motors. They are very reliable and productive. Lack of maintenance is the only trouble. Having driven Cats, Volvo and the Bells. I would take the Volvo over Bell over Cat.