• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Interchanging Yanmar Diesel Engines - real small ones....

FullMetalBucket

Hi all, I have an older Tak TB007 that needs a new motor. It has the 2TN66L which makes a whopping 8hp! Always ran great and worked well but it's got 4000hrs on it and it gets hard to see what you're doing for all the blue smoke around you LOL!! I've searched and searched online and the closest thing I can find is the 2TNV70 which looks close. I'm not knowledgeable on this topic so I'd appreciate any input anyone could offer! I was actually hoping someone might recommend a replacement that would fit but make a little more power.... even swaps to Kubota diesels or any other ideas would be great.
Many Thanks! :drinkup

strott

Occupation
Mini Excavator and dumper operator
Have a look at the Tak TB108 brochure online and see what engine is in that - it may point you in the right direction - especially if the house/engine design are the same.

Not sure a Kubota 3 cylinder from a K008 would fit due to the fact that it has that extra cylinder!!

What do you think is causing the blue smoke?

Good luck.

lectro88

Occupation
master electrician/owner
More HP is fine, but let me throw this out there. You could put 100hp in and not see any difference in machine performance, just more fuel consumption. Because you have the same hydraulic pump. Truth be known you could bring your engine back to zero tolerance (rebuild) and you will feel more hp. And here is another thing. your engine fits RIGHT NOW, unbolt it, fix it, bolt it back in, done. A different engine is most likely going to require different parts and accessories. It goes on and on, Rarely does different manufactors engines "just fit" (You may be wanting a bigger machine and don't realize it. LOL like me !)

Hendrik

More HP is fine, but let me throw this out there. You could put 100hp in and not see any difference in machine performance, just more fuel consumption. Because you have the same hydraulic pump. Truth be known you could bring your engine back to zero tolerance (rebuild) and you will feel more hp. And here is another thing. your engine fits RIGHT NOW, unbolt it, fix it, bolt it back in, done. A different engine is most likely going to require different parts and accessories. It goes on and on, Rarely does different manufactors engines "just fit" (You may be wanting a bigger machine and don't realize it. LOL like me !)
I disagree, an extra couple of ponies will not go astray in the machine, it will not use much more fuel because it won't bog down.
For example my Kobelco SK005 series 1 use a 1 cylinder Yanmar (well Chinese copy there off now) and in the series 2 and 3 SK005 they went to a 2 cylinder motor (probably the same as in this thread).
Why?
My SK digs alright and can lift itself off the ground pretty well but yes little bit of extra grunt would make it a better machine.
Anyway back on topic, in the world of Yanmar it is the first couple of letters and numbers that specify an engine family and whilst the engine internals may well be the same the output shaft may be different.
You really need to talk to your local Yanmar dealer.
It may also be that the 2TN66L has been superseded by the 2TNV70 but be aware that Yanmar sells their engines with different output shafts (metric, imperial, tapered, etc), so be careful buying a cheap engine off ebay or such but it is possible to modify the coupling to the pump or get a new one made, as long as your crankcase bolt holes are the same (which they should be for the 2TN engine family).
Cost to rebuild a single cylinder Yanmar = AU$2800
Cost of new single cylinder Yanmar = AU$3200
Cost to buy a Chinese knock off and have coupling made up = AU$800
BTW the 2TNV70 is rated at 13.3 stout ponies which would make the little 007 dig through steel http://www.yanmar.co.jp/en/industry/html/products/tnv1_1.html

Last edited:

lectro88

Occupation
master electrician/owner
As I said in previous post. More hp is fine, but don't think it begins and ends with a few more hp. The hyd pump is also key. If the pump is 10gpm @1500psi. Thats all its going to produce, 8hp or 80hp now true, a few more hp will keep the "engine" from bogging. But don't think 5 more hp will transform it into a fire breathing dragon. If you have a wore out engine NOW. (that is smoking)I think you said it was 8hp. probably at full throttle wore out your getting 4-6hp, and yes I'm sure it boggs easily. If you fix what you have,and go from 4-6hp or less, back to 8 or 9hp. It will "feel" like you put a larger engine in. And you will not have to look out for odd ball shafts etc. This was the main point I was trying to make. Finding parts that fit. You have a small machine, (no insult intended) Once the machine starts lifting or dragging itself thats all its going to do, and the original engine and pump will do this.