• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Injector pump gasket

Backdraft

I have a Case 580SE (2wd). Farm use, Motor runs great. The injector pump gasket has a bad leaking arond the top. I have removed the top (very carfully). Did not remove pump. Cleaned top and base very well and use a blue gasket sealer (rated for Diesel fuel). Placed spring back as i found it. Let dry a couple days befor introducing fuel. Runs great, leakes even more. I did not use a gasket just sealer. Should I use one or just use a better sealer? What type?

Thanks in advance

lantraxco

There's a bit of pressure there, so A) I would use a gasket, and B) check your fuel outlet fitting/check valve, and tank return line system to be sure there's no restriction causing higher than normal pressure inside the pump. But that's just me, perhaps more experienced hands will chime in. :cool:

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
There's a bit of pressure there, so A) I would use a gasket, and B) check your fuel outlet fitting/check valve, and tank return line system to be sure there's no restriction causing higher than normal pressure inside the pump. But that's just me, perhaps more experienced hands will chime in. :cool:

What he said plus, make sure that the cover was not warped by someone trying to stop a leak by over tightening fasteners.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
CAV??? Delphi # 7180-451 you can get it at ANY fuel shop or online. sometimes you have to use 2 to stop a leak.. DONT use sealer..

Backdraft

You dont stackem them like pancakes? Sealer/gasket/sealer/gasket/sealer

Thanks, Lots of great info. I will give it another go. After I get this fixed. I need to rebuild the suttle shift tranmission. Oh what fun that will be.

Looks like gold in the bottom of the pan, I'm rich, Crap its parts of the transmission :eek:

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
You dont stackem them like pancakes? Sealer/gasket/sealer/gasket/sealer

Thanks, Lots of great info. I will give it another go. After I get this fixed. I need to rebuild the suttle shift tranmission. Oh what fun that will be.

Looks like gold in the bottom of the pan, I'm rich, Crap its parts of the transmission :eek:

Problem with using sealer with gaskets, especially with two stacked is the sealer could act as a lubricant and cause them to slip out of place

Russelln

Occupation
Electronics Engineer & Cal Fire Air Tanker Pilot
Be Smart and do exactly what thepumpguysc says, I'll add to it to make damn sure that all areas are extremely clean and you might as well get the rubber O-Rings that go in the throttle shaft and fuel shut off shaft because they will leak next. You can get those gaskets and 4 rubber O-rings as a kit.

CAV??? Delphi # 7180-451 you can get it at ANY fuel shop or online. sometimes you have to use 2 to stop a leak.. DONT use sealer..