• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

In the market...used excavator

LCA078

When you get into 24k + machines you will be playing with the big boys.

If plan to keep the machine just on your 10 acres, I wouldn't worry too much about going bigger. Bigger is more expensive to run and maintain, but you can't beat weight and power for moving dirt and killing trees. Seems like the little diggers that are easily trailered with a 1-ton truck are more sought after by the general contractors/smaller construction guys. Something that is too big for a 1-ton truck to trailer but too small for most construction sites might be your sweet spot.

skyking1

Look around for comparables. Look into available service and parts. It has been beat on, I've never trashed a bucket cylinder but that one has been changed, probably due to Wreckem Ralph at the controls. all the ass and side rash indicates a lack of concern, and that probably got the chrome on that cylinder dinged enough to take out the seal.

Welder Dave

For 40K I think you could find a better machine. The Kobelco looks used and abused. I'd prefer steel tracks over rubber as they won't get damaged on rocks or stumps, etc.

skyking1

Not enough lead time for me to go look either. I was just down the road this afternoon in Auburn.
I don't care for that cheesy bucket. A little small for cleanup, and you would immediately want a digging bucket for it. Pinned on no QC.

skiddinlogs51

I think my best bet right now is to rent from a place local and see if I like it...then buy. Looking at united rentals right now. They say if I buy then the rental fees are waived...

rbrown225

I would take a good look at the Tak. I have a TB175 (little smaller and older) have had very little problems. Biggest thing is jumping the tracks on stumps when in the forest. Have found that doing jump turns with the sprocket at the back have reduced that problem to almost nil. I really questioned if the rubber tracks were going to hold up. They were at 50% when I got it. They are sill going strong 400 hrs later.

skiddinlogs51

Will be looking at a Bobcat E45 and a TB260 here soon at the rental place. Liking the TB260 because its a 12K Machine compared to E45 10K...a little higher price, though...3K hours on both machines...I think price is around 43K for E45 and a little higher for TB260. They don't have quick disconnect...I can't remember the name...something like Roy evans something...lol.

Not sure what to think of Takeuchi using a Yanmar engine....That Kubota engine draws me lol.

Said I could rent one for $1K for a week...If I like it and want to buy they will take that off purchase price...

John Canfield

Occupation
Ranching
The newer Bobcat mini-ex's use a Doosan engine - my 2019 E42 has one of those. I would have preferred the Kubota just because I'm more familiar with its track record but the Doosan seems okay. I had a little Yanmar 2QM15 engine in a sailboat and it was a faithful performer but maybe you know something I don't about Yanmar engines.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Not sure what to think of Takeuchi using a Yanmar engine.

Many of the competing units use the Yanmar. Only Kubota uses Kubota in the ones they compared.

I attached a comparison...a little dated tho.

Attachments

• TB290-Product-Comparisons-2019.pdf
    95 KB · Views: 8

OTG AuGres

Occupation
Hobbiest - Forestry and Wildlife Management
The newer Bobcat mini-ex's use a Doosan engine - my 2019 E42 has one of those. I would have preferred the Kubota just because I'm more familiar with its track record but the Doosan seems okay. I had a little Yanmar 2QM15 engine in a sailboat and it was a faithful performer but maybe you know something I don't about Yanmar engines.
I’ve been pleased with the Doosan engines in my Bobcats. No engines issues at all. I really like the one in my new e50. At 49 hp, it seems to labor a lot less than the lesser hp I had in my e42. I almost always run it in the eco mode at less than full throttle. The 74 hp engine in my t595 is very strong, it’s just a thirsty devil. Not sure if it’s a Bobcat or Doosan thing, but I much prefer the Bobcat emissions setups to the John Deere/Yanmar package I have in my 4066R. I have to run the JD/Yanmar at full throttle or it goes into regen mode quite often.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I actually feel more comfortable with the Yanmar than I do with the Kubota. My previous Taki 153's all have been Yanmar. I never had an issue with any of them. My latest Taki 257 is a Kubota, and it seems to run well so far, I don't have near the faith in Kubota post emissions as I did pre-emission.

John Canfield

Occupation
Ranching
My 2010 model year Deere tractor uses the John Deere 4024T diesel, when Tier IV started Deere went to the Yanmar engine in their compact tractors. Haven't noticed any complaint trend in the tractor forums about the Yanmar except accommodating regen.