• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

IH Hough D500 in Bell Bros livery Western Australia

footloose1952

Hello members, I spent the last couple of months stripping and painting this EMD Resin model. I found it very difficult to strip the paint. I read on a Forum somewhere that the original Chemist Dettol would do the job. But it didn't, I left it soak for a week and all it achieved was to make it very slippery and when I took it out the bowl, it slipped out of my grasp straight onto the floor. Paint still intact. Another problem was trying to get the tyres off the rims,,,,,impossible. I soaked the wheels in hot/boiling water, no luck, then hot olive oil, still no joy. So I had to paint the rims with the tyres still on.
Hope you enjoy the photos. The first one is one of two that Bell Bros had at the Alcoa Refinery construction in Western Australia in the late
1960's early 70's when I worked there.
IHHoughD500_zps4be512c8.jpg
Next photo is of the model stripped
CIMG3596_zps0c27c53c.jpg
The painting starts
CIMG3611_zps7308a910.jpg
Now a few of the completed model
DSCF6735_zps30ffabcb.jpg
DSCF6737_zpscfb8c27f.jpg
Hope you enjoy
Regards from down under in WA
Peter

footloose1952

Bell Bros Hough

So how did you end up getting the paint off ? By the way, nice job !

I ended up using what some say you shouldn't, ordinary Paint Stripper that you would use on metal models and the like, I was sure to only leave the stripper on for no longer than 30 seconds at a time ( I have previously melted resin parts ) and repeated the process over and over until I was happy with the amount of strip I'd done. Here's another photo of how the model looked when I first purchased it, and another of the finished model
IHHoughD5001_zps97caa16a.jpg
DSCF6742_zps0fe93fd7.jpg
Hope liked the finished model
Regards from down under

Peter