• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

" If it wants Off , Let it off "

oregon96pd

Silly way to think for on road hauling,chain it down and when you think you are done throw 2 more on. When I drove lowbed in the bush I would never chain down the load. If the road sluffs and you have a D8 or JD 892 excavator and it go's you are now chained to it, instead of it is chained to truck. Many times I would be 100-200 feet from creek as the crow flies but I was also 4,5,600 feet above it. I think most log truck drivers would wait as well until they were at the paved or public road and throw the binders on there while checking the truck out.

Most log truck drivers do that here to, but I always thought it was to allow the logs to settle in on the ride down to blacktop....less stopping and retightening on the trip to the mill. Not to much to worry about with a log truck, the logs are never strapped to the truck, only to themself and gravity holding it on the bunks lol.

jim-in-so-ore

Here in Southern Oregon I see log trucks coming from Califoristan and their logs are tied to the bunks, plus tied to themselves. Other than that logs not going out of, or coming into Oregon are just tied to themselves.

Sidney43

Occupation
Retired
It has been quite a while since I spent some summers logging with my Dad's company in N. California. If I recall correctly, the custom and practice was to tie two wrappers to the bunks and then some more around the load. They always tied the load down on the landing before moving the truck down the hill, or up depending on the terrain. Yes, they stopped at the highway and checked how tight everything was after a few miles of driving. This was back in the early 60's, which might tell you how old I am.

As for lowbed tie down practice, it always seemed like enough chain, but never really asked a driver what capacity they were aiming for. Biggest thing back then was probably a D8, or a shovel converted to log loading, like a Northwest Timbermaster. This was all on conventional highway trucks, so the blade on a D8 was usually separated from the tractor.

gkenworth

Occupation
HD Mechanic / heavy haul truck driver
RIP. Drove by this wreck. Fair share of 'equipment joining driver in cab' pics on the Web.
IMG_25446483337660.jpg

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Hopefully that one wasn't a fatal! Just tied down with straps?

gkenworth

Occupation
Hopefully that one wasn't a fatal! Just tied down with straps?

Surprisingly, I heard it wasn't fatal.
Hundreds of loads of pipe moving @ Alberta everyday. Majority using 8-11 4"straps including 3 bellywraps. There are old pipe haulers, reckless pipe haulers, but no old reckless pipe haulers.

mitch504

Going back to the original theme of this thread, have any of you heard somebody say, "If it wants off, let it off, while my wife and kids are passing that truck" ?

1466IH

Yup. If it wants off let it off. That's what I say.
View attachment 119292
RIP driver

How does that even happen? The front of the truck doesn't look like it hit anything and I can't see how having to lock up the brakes would cause that loader to come foreword so hard and fast it would jump over the gooseneck and wind up on the cab

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Not sure what's going on here. No skid marks. Wheel clocks in front of the drivers. It appears that the damage happened where it sets as the broken glass is on the ground. Don't believe there would be that much there if it was drug in by a wrecker. Looks like it backed over the cab after the trailer got reattached but before it got tied down. Even looks like you would have to try pretty hard to get it up there. Stuck throttle maybe and a panicked operator. Ya think the truck belonged to someone the loader operator was a bit peeved at.

gkenworth

Occupation
Not sure what's going on here. No skid marks. Wheel clocks in front of the drivers. It appears that the damage happened where it sets as the broken glass is on the ground. Don't believe there would be that much there if it was drug in by a wrecker. Looks like it backed over the cab after the trailer got reattached but before it got tied down. Even looks like you would have to try pretty hard to get it up there. Stuck throttle maybe and a panicked operator. Ya think the truck belonged to someone the loader operator was a bit peeved at.

Wheel chocks were put in place as a 'safety' measure before they hoisted the loader off. Check out the whole story at www.cdllife.com . Not smart enough to post a link with my 'smart' phone.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Looks horrible! wondering if it was a 2 chain tiedown that went wrong, I usually do three on the backhoe and four on the dozer.

gkenworth

Occupation
Looks horrible! wondering if it was a 2 chain tiedown that went wrong, I usually do three on the backhoe and four on the dozer.

Nah. It was just a good old boy that subscribed to the 'if it wants off, let it off' train of thot.
My condolences.

Don't get me wrong. I've hauled lots of tracked equipment with little or NO chains, on site and short hauls down country roads. Equipment that I knew & that had a positive park brake. D6d, 7g, 8k, & 9g 's got properly secured.
Nowadays, my wife & sons determine how many chains I use.

Last edited:

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
This guy figured gravity would work just as it had hundreds of times before...
pic1.jpg

but at least these guys got to do something for a couple hours :)
pic2.jpg

1466IH

If that is an actual container trailer there are no straps or chains. They are secured with pegs that lock into the same holes used for lifting only on the bottom