• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

i started my company

suladas

Welcome to self employment. It’s the most thankless job you can ever have.

Yep. But it's far from all bad. I love being able to choose my own hours, if I want time off, if I don't want to work for someone being able to tell them where to go, etc. Also huge benefit is the financial freedom, it's a lot of headaches and hours, but it also pays a lot better then being an employee. I could never work for someone else.

Carolina start up

Yep. But it's far from all bad. I love being able to choose my own hours, if I want time off, if I don't want to work for someone being able to tell them where to go, etc. Also huge benefit is the financial freedom, it's a lot of headaches and hours, but it also pays a lot better then being an employee. I could never work for someone else.
well i just tried to hire my buddy to help me on some bigger jobs but he cant i went and looked at one i might not be able to take it on

Vetech63

Same for me.

AzIron

well i just tried to hire my buddy to help me on some bigger jobs but he cant i went and looked at one i might not be able to take it on
You will have to learn how to do jobs you never thought possible by yourself cause no matter what you think you have hired for help your name is on the door not there's so expect to be let down

Careful hiring friends can be an all time backfire have low expectations and high hopes and if one of you cant separate work and personal then dont do it

Carolina start up

You will have to learn how to do jobs you never thought possible by yourself cause no matter what you think you have hired for help your name is on the door not there's so expect to be let down

Careful hiring friends can be an all time backfire have low expectations and high hopes and if one of you cant separate work and personal then dont do it
yeah its just the one job i need help on but beyond that really only job so far i need help.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Back a couple decades, contracted to companies as a wrench but not an employee, worked for a fee not wages under a given contract IN WRITING while maintaining a job as a mechanic working foreman in a independent garage. At one time was a somewhat Proud OTR Truck owner and part time operator, some really good times in all occupations and some really terrifying times to boot.

Reuben Frazier

Go slow and don’t take on to much at once. Having ticked off customers waiting is FAR worse than not having any at all because they are the ones to blast you to everyone. Expect break down delays and service the hell out of your equipment or pay for it later on and expect to learn some expensive lessons early on to lol

kleener

Occupation
battler
many years ago when I went into business for myself I talked to a bloke doing what I intended very successfully - I asked for advice - he told me two things - be totally honest and only ever book half your time.
I asked what I should be charging, he said that doesn't really matter much, just remember those first two rules.
He was right.

Carolina start up

many years ago when I went into business for myself I talked to a bloke doing what I intended very successfully - I asked for advice - he told me two things - be totally honest and only ever book half your time.
I asked what I should be charging, he said that doesn't really matter much, just remember those first two rules.
He was right.
really the guy i asked told me dont do it, dont quit my day job, and go big or go home

Welder Dave

It's really easy for others to tell you quit your guaranteed income and go all in. It's not their livelihood on the line. Nothing wrong with starting as part time or turning a hobby into full time if you have the work.

Carolina start up

It's really easy for others to tell you quit your guaranteed income and go all in. It's not their livelihood on the line. Nothing wrong with starting as part time or turning a hobby into full time if you have the work.
right now its just part time weekend work mostly to keep me busy since i wont doing anything on the weekends anyways

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I started working 'Other Jobs' at 20 alongside my regular one, ended up little to no time for myself, do not get caught up in that race as it is a sure thing short lived. Was really burnt out by 40, ended up switching professions seemingly to get away from the past, is always one step behind me.

Carolina start up

I started working 'Other Jobs' at 20 alongside my regular one, ended up little to no time for myself, do not get caught up in that race as it is a sure thing short lived. Was really burnt out by 40, ended up switching professions seemingly to get away from the past, is always one step behind me.
yeah well im brunt out from my job now this is a little differnt besides being in a factory all day