• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I need a general purpose handyman

Randy88

Your wanting someone that doesn't exist in the first place, anyone who could do all that could make far more being on their own than you could ever pay. Anybody who had the qualifications to do a fraction of what you listed, doesn't need to work for you ever, he or she would have standing offers working for any plumber, electrician or whoever else there is out to needing someone talented enough do it all.

Not sure this has been mentioned, but maybe instead of looking for a jack of all trades so to speak, look at retiree's who've done those jobs and would be willing to work part time. Your wanting someone young who's willing to work, I doubt their out there at all, but someone who's semi retired or retired, who's used to working and now has nothing to do, might be interested in part time [work when they want] kind of work to do, just for something to do type of deal. But those you can't push or demand unreal expectations from or they'll just flat out quit due to not really needing the money.

Around here retired farmers still want to do odd jobs, drive tractors, trucks, combines or planters, but they don't want to work 20 hours a day 7 days a week anymore, they want a slower pace and if you can't offer that, they'll go work for someone who will allow them 5-10 hour days and only 5 days a week in season, the rest of year, its far less hours still and when they want time off, they either get it or quit type of thing. They can and will do anything, but at a slower pace than a lot of younger guys want to run. So as one younger farmer put it, either I accommodate them or I do it all alone, which isn't an option with the size of operation he's running. So his solution was, hire three times as many guys, run larger equipment and spend less overall hours getting it done, with a much happier workforce and quit working at night altogether since nobody wanted to work in the dark anyhow.

I think you need to look for a half dozen retired or semi retired guys for each job description and go from there. I also think you need a more laid back approach to getting the work done and set your expectations much lower as well, instead of directing traffic and putting out fires, you need a crew of people who have jobs they can choose from to go do as they want to, with enough people I think you'll find there's a job for everyone. Then figure out what or how they want to be reimbursed, its not always about the dollars per hour or paying top dollar, its about working conditions, times they can work or are willing to work and not really having to do something they don't want to do or hate doing to put it more bluntly.

Your in a high turnover job criteria, nobody younger will last very long before being offered far more money or benefits somewhere else if they are any good. If they are basically worthless, you'll have them forever or until you fire them. If you change your workers to an older generation, the turnover might be as high or higher, but with far more to choose from, you can sort or sift them out and around more.

Now maybe an older generation isn't available in your area, I don't know, but thinking Florida and retirement capital of the US and warmer winters, I'd think there might be some that would be looking for 15 or 20 hours a week to do what they've done their whole lives. Remember, most have to give up everything once they retire and move to somewhere new, but after a while, even retirement gets old and boring and many would love to do what they've done their whole lives but just at a pace they can now handle. Just a thought, do as you wish.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Randy always did a good job maintaining the trailers in Sunnyvale for Mr. Layhe. RIP John Dunsworth. Hope you are driving your Chrysler New Yorker around the great trailer park in the sky. 13035E03-5D18-4AAC-BCE3-AB5CE18218F4.jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Back the to the original question -

What benefits are you offering?

Here is what we offer -

PTO - paid time off, 5 days a year
Vacation - 1 week at Christmas, Labor, Memorial, 4th and 2 day at Thanksgiving
Health insurance - 70% of Gold single payer plan paid by the company (wife and I have same insurance plan, it's the best)
Truck - for supervisors
Tools - whatever is needed to compete the task safely and efficiently
Training - OSHA, CDL and whatever else construction wise they want to take is paid straight time. 30 hour OSHA certs are paid at 30 hours of regular pay for example.
Retirement - IRA Retirement account with company match
Bonus - Job specific bonuses that can be 10-15% of annual pay depending on performance

We are small company and offer all of that on top of offering the high end of the pay scale for our area. I think at a minimum you need to offer the similar benefits or the equivalent in money to hire someone who can do what you need since you will more than likely have to hire them away from a company that at a minimum is offering the same benefits and pay.

Last edited:

hosspuller

I could do it all... But I'm retired and don't want / can't work 40/50 hours a week in Florida heat.

I used to volunteer at a hospital doing work the staff hated. I didn't mind the work because I worked at my pace, worked when I felt like it, and was free to do it how I decided. So it wasn't drudgery to me.

I'm posting here to reinforce Randy88's thoughts.

So on that vein... A cadre of (retired) workers you trust. And a list of jobs you need posted (maybe with a price). Let them decide to take or leave.
I think you'll find some likes plumbing, someone else likes door & lock repair, Others like electrical, wood working, etc...

After a time, if no one takes it, then hire it out.

Last edited:

Randy88

A lot of the retirees don't care about the benefits as much or even at all, [they've already got them].

Many are not into huge pay either, it actually affects their SS checks.

So yes CM is right, for those seeking a full time job, you've got to be as competitive or more to attract and keep help, but if your considering retirees, you have to think outside the box and figure out what they want for reimbursement for the work done. Two completely different worker groups wanting and needing far different ways of compensation. Again just something different to think about and ways many in my area have found and kept good help as a few guys told me, those doing the hiring need to be flexible in how and who they hire and mix around compensation packages to fit the workers needs.

hosspuller

Ian : One other thing about old retirees ... (I am one) Roof work ... I and many of my contemporaries are less steady at heights, than we once were. You might be well served to contract all roof repairs to a roofing company instead of unsteady old guys. (like me) Roofer would like constant stream of work and you'll have a trusted and reliable contractor. vs hiring any or first available.

As a story, years ago, I was painting my house. A painting contractor I knew offered to use his discount on my behalf. The paint store was more than happy to apply his discount to my 30 gallon purchase... Store manager said this was a trifle for an account that bought six figures worth of paint annually.