• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I expected the fuzz...

D5Dan

...but not chunks/bearing bits.

84H493 - antique/old farm dozer.

Slowly making progress on getting side panels, skid plates and floor boards off to clean/inspect/service machine

Prior owner told me he’s been using 15w40 in all systems... I’m glad he kept everything topped off; but believe I can better match (modern) oils to the different systems. Before I go dumping all the oils/filters thought I should keep checking for leaks/issues...of course previous owner said all works fine and ready to go. But figured, let me see what’s in the trans screen/magnet before we take it out...

Three large threaded rod sections run from the left-side to right side fenders (can see middle one running thru inside of cab)...my guess they hauled the whole cab, fenders, tank, seat, etc right off...for what, can only guess, but maybe the trans was overhauled and this is remnants of partial clean up??

Or sign of good times to come...

Gotta luv leaving the scene with more questions/doubts than answers...
A5AA571D-024F-4B81-8F68-A9EA451B8F22.jpeg4FE8DC16-ED2D-4895-986D-5A88039CB3A8.jpeg2B44FB4A-7123-45B7-8BFB-23520016890A.jpegF38C6518-186F-4954-A5FE-2AE4ED374973.jpeg

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
Hopefully you have caught it in time . Rest of the bearing will be around the drain plug .

skyking1

I started to put it together with that username, but who can be sure? some fellas have more than one piece of old iron.

D5Dan

E536CC2C-DC7C-443E-860D-5222DC70E936.jpeg 80307340-D65D-4636-B0AF-6F0C8CA34A03.jpeg You guys crack me up...still picturing the prosTITute “swing”!!!

skyking- good point- shoulda said it’s from my D5 which I believe the ole girl to be ‘67 with the D333 (not positive if it’s an A-engine/small bore; but pretty sure it is). The antique/farm dozer expression is to explain it will remain on property/area, it’s not needing to move from job to job for “real” production work. I guess that info doesn’t matter since NONE of us want our machines to fail - walking home sucks - then the tow-home can be fun too

realize my bearing pics had/have no reference to their size...I’ve been looking in my parts book at the tranny and I’m not seeing this small of a bearing...Vetech63, thanks for the lead on where this might be from!!

revised plan now is NOT to pull the rams for the blade to repack (still need to find cat seal “kit” anyway). Focus on dropping the trans fluid to see if the rest of the bearing is there. Man I wish I had parked it up on a couple 2x10’s to get my fat ass more room under the machine...and if I’m understanding the spec section of manual I need to plan for 13 gallons that will come out of two drains...like in Jaws - I’m gonna need a bigger boat! I believe my large drain pan is 5 gallons...Need a barrel I can cut up (50/50 if I cut it standing up; or laying down??).

I need to study the books again, I was thinking this magnetic screen I pulled out was for trans and bevel gear area and the clutches are in separate/dry area??

Bluox

View attachment 264204 View attachment 264205 You guys crack me up...still picturing the prosTITute “swing”!!!

skyking- good point- shoulda said it’s from my D5 which I believe the ole girl to be ‘67 with the D333 (not positive if it’s an A-engine/small bore; but pretty sure it is). The antique/farm dozer expression is to explain it will remain on property/area, it’s not needing to move from job to job for “real” production work. I guess that info doesn’t matter since NONE of us want our machines to fail - walking home sucks - then the tow-home can be fun too

realize my bearing pics had/have no reference to their size...I’ve been looking in my parts book at the tranny and I’m not seeing this small of a bearing...Vetech63, thanks for the lead on where this might be from!!

revised plan now is NOT to pull the rams for the blade to repack (still need to find cat seal “kit” anyway). Focus on dropping the trans fluid to see if the rest of the bearing is there. Man I wish I had parked it up on a couple 2x10’s to get my fat ass more room under the machine...and if I’m understanding the spec section of manual I need to plan for 13 gallons that will come out of two drains...like in Jaws - I’m gonna need a bigger boat! I believe my large drain pan is 5 gallons...Need a barrel I can cut up (50/50 if I cut it standing up; or laying down??).

I need to study the books again, I was thinking this magnetic screen I pulled out was for trans and bevel gear area and the clutches are in separate/dry area??
An easy way to identify a D333 motor it has a belt driven water pump, which is what your tractor should have.
Bob

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I haven't work on that model of dozer but the Cats I do have experience with use the same oil for the transmission, bevel gear and steering clutches. There is a lot of steel on those magnets. How did the strainer basket look? Most of those types of strainers end up looking like that but the bearing pieces are a little troubling. I have to agree with Vetech63 on it likely being a clutch drum bearing or a support bearing for the bevel gear or final drive. It's the only bearing I can think of that can breakup and end up in the bottom of the case. Transmission bearings usually just get mashed in the gear train and lock up the transmission.

Bluox

I think that tractor has dry steering clutches .
The bevel gear case and the transmission which has the torque converter inside it have separate oil.
Bob

Glum

Needle Roller bearing on for one of the planetary gears by the looks of those needles.
Quite a few of them in there.
Not sure if this is the correct part no. for your machine, just posted a pic so you have an idea of what I suspect it is.

Screenshot_20220720-175523_Chrome.jpg

D5Dan

Well that confirms she’s a D333...given the year/age likely a small bore, right?

Here’s the beauty in question...

...I’m seeing (reminded) of all the cleaning “opportunities” I have ahead of me!?! soooo much crap in the belly pans...

57C1DBE7-649A-4DE5-840F-B185EDA87A2F.jpeg 5153E930-CAA4-4D3E-B7B5-C02B494DE292.jpeg 4FB99A66-C590-4B38-8C6E-5AF2C7250B19.jpeg 2FC633A9-1BBE-4D12-9CAE-8C482AB71C3A.jpeg

D5Dan

Glum I think you might be onto something...I’ll need to try to find more of the bearing in the oil...probably best I pull other trans/bevel filter too.

no “access” panel I can look/scope, to verify destruction, right??

D5Dan

JohnC- the strainer looked remarkably good; I was about to do a snoopy dance but decided I should wait until I get to the parts washer...then I saw the fuzz on magnets, thought, yeah that’s a bunch, but probably been ten+ years since this has been out/cleaned... THEN I saw the chunks deep inside the magnet holder. They were very stubborn in coming off the holder.

Again, so little time/experience with the machine, and knowing it’s age ...I’m POSITIVE sticky fingers have been deep in this oldie...knowing it drove in all gears forward/reverse I’m still hoping it’s from past rebuild job...

going back to the machine to keep digging/exploring.

thanks for help guys!

tctractors

The engine in the picture is a D333B with the 4"1/2 Bore so it dates to no younger than around late 1968 early 1969 I feel, the later D333C had a 4"3/4 Bore and a pressed tin rocker cover, the bearing parts I cannot place although I have done these transmissions , a look in a parts book or service book would help your hunt but its going to involve transmission out, the unbolting of the battery box's and seat area is some pain due to cable clamps etc, the steering and brakes are dry with large size units, it might be worth checking under the engine as the saddle for the E - Bar can crack and damage the engine cylinder block, D 5's are hard work but liked by the Farmers, the D6 C-D is a lot more reliable. tctractors