• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hyundai Excavators good or bad?

BIGBEN2004

What is the opinion of Hyundai Excavators on here? My dealer who also sells Case said for the price you can't beat them. He claimed they have a excellent track record for reliability and come with a higher level of comfort and speed. They claimed once you can get over the name of it I will love it. I am not in the need to buy anything just looking ahead in the future. I like the 160LC-7A model and it specs out well. They quoted me a list price of around $148,000. How does that sound? That is list and I am sure they can do way better than that since they cut me incredible deals on other stuff I purchase and rent from their.

tylermckee

We have a 140 and 160 with about 3,000 hours on each. just had our first major problem on the 160, the counterweight was falling off. Although i'm sure its not normal, we have a breaker on it and work in 90% rock. Would have been a simple fix if someone would have just had the dealer come tighten the bolts back up, but they didnt do anything about it and with it rocking back and forth it broke a bolt and bent/cracked the mounts. Other than that they have been great machines, faster/smoother than any hitachi or cat i have ran, well the 140 is fast but not too smooth, its a little bouncy. i wouldnt buy anything smaller than a 160. All the pins and bushings are still tight, undercarriage is in good shape. Overall they are pretty good machines, great for the price, i think we paid $100k for our 160, new.

handtpipeline

Occupation
Utility Contractor
We've rented Hyundai excavators in the past, a small one (don't remember the size, but it had a backfill blade on it) 210's on numerous occasions, a 250, a 290 and an OLD 320 with a hammer on it. I know hammer hoes take a lot of abuse, but this thing was a pile of junk. The smallest one seemed ok, the 210's weren't bad (we had a couple of them rented for several months at a time a few times) I liked the 250 really well, (it also had a mechanical thumb on it) I never did personally run the 290. I always thought though, that they were kind of jerky, especially the travel when you were loading or un-loading them. That said, I know 2 other people that have bought 210's, and like them.

All of these except the 320 were dash-6 machines I beleive. The only dash-7 that I have ran was a 450LC. It was a lot smoother it seemed, but on the slow side I thought.

Now, in my opinion, I would check out a Komatsu...I say this, because, we have a PC300LC-5 (about a 1991 model) with over 20,000 hours on it. It's not real pretty, but it's dependable, smooth, and still quick. It has really sold me on Komatsu machines, we bought it used in 2004, and have replaced the RPM sensor in it, and a few hoses.

Since then, we have started renting Komatsu excavators whenever we need a smaller one, or additonal machines. Right now, I have a PC200LC-8 rented, it had 185 hours on it when I picked it up. It is super fast, good on fuel, and probably the smoothest machine I have ever ran. We were told it could be bought for $160,000. I don't know about the prices in your area (this is from a dealer in Tulsa), but it's a lot more machine than a 160, for $12,000 more.

That's just my opinion though.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums handtpipeline! :drinkup

BIGBEN2004

We've rented Hyundai excavators in the past, a small one (don't remember the size, but it had a backfill blade on it) 210's on numerous occasions, a 250, a 290 and an OLD 320 with a hammer on it. I know hammer hoes take a lot of abuse, but this thing was a pile of junk. The smallest one seemed ok, the 210's weren't bad (we had a couple of them rented for several months at a time a few times) I liked the 250 really well, (it also had a mechanical thumb on it) I never did personally run the 290. I always thought though, that they were kind of jerky, especially the travel when you were loading or un-loading them. That said, I know 2 other people that have bought 210's, and like them.

All of these except the 320 were dash-6 machines I beleive. The only dash-7 that I have ran was a 450LC. It was a lot smoother it seemed, but on the slow side I thought.

Now, in my opinion, I would check out a Komatsu...I say this, because, we have a PC300LC-5 (about a 1991 model) with over 20,000 hours on it. It's not real pretty, but it's dependable, smooth, and still quick. It has really sold me on Komatsu machines, we bought it used in 2004, and have replaced the RPM sensor in it, and a few hoses.

Since then, we have started renting Komatsu excavators whenever we need a smaller one, or additonal machines. Right now, I have a PC200LC-8 rented, it had 185 hours on it when I picked it up. It is super fast, good on fuel, and probably the smoothest machine I have ever ran. We were told it could be bought for $160,000. I don't know about the prices in your area (this is from a dealer in Tulsa), but it's a lot more machine than a 160, for $12,000 more.

That's just my opinion though.

Just the other day I rented a Komatsu 210 from Sunbelt Rentals and let me say it was done in the rental fleet. It was a 99 model with only 7,000 Hrs on it. The bucket had horrible slop in it. The turn knob throttle was messed up which they had to come out and disable it so I could keep running and the hydraulics were fried. I would take about 30 seconds to raise the boom up out of a 9' hole I was digging and then after that it wouldn't lift but maybe 6' above the ground. The travel motors almost couldn't even move it. I know this is not a fair example of a Komatsu but I was very upset with that one. The Sunbelt guy came out and I told him I needed another one but his boss said as long as it was running they would not replace it with another one. I told him since it was so slow that was why his boss wouldn't swap it out I had to rent it longer to get the job done. I will never rent from Sunbelt Rentals again.

biggixxerjim

Just the other day I rented a Komatsu 210 from Sunbelt Rentals and let me say it was done in the rental fleet. It was a 99 model with only 7,000 Hrs on it. The bucket had horrible slop in it. The turn knob throttle was messed up which they had to come out and disable it so I could keep running and the hydraulics were fried. I would take about 30 seconds to raise the boom up out of a 9' hole I was digging and then after that it wouldn't lift but maybe 6' above the ground. The travel motors almost couldn't even move it. I know this is not a fair example of a Komatsu but I was very upset with that one. The Sunbelt guy came out and I told him I needed another one but his boss said as long as it was running they would not replace it with another one. I told him since it was so slow that was why his boss wouldn't swap it out I had to rent it longer to get the job done. I will never rent from Sunbelt Rentals again.

YEah me either.

That is bs, i would have called up and had an ear full for that boss

biggixxerjim

Check out a Case CX 160. Im not usually a big fan of case, but I have run 2 of these machines and both were excellent. Being a case you can prob pick one up for a decent price with some hours on it

handtpipeline

Occupation
Utility Contractor
Check out a Case CX 160. Im not usually a big fan of case, but I have run 2 of these machines and both were excellent. Being a case you can prob pick one up for a decent price with some hours on it

I've never ran a CX160, but I did run a CX210 for about a week in Indiana, doing a concrete tear-out job. And I was really kinda impressed with it. I believe it had a 60" bucket on it, and it handled it really well. It was also quick and very smooth. It was a brand new machine when they brought it out though, so I don't know how it would be after it had a few hours on it. I do like Case equipment (we're on like our 18th,19th and 20th Case 580 backhoes, since 1972) and I've also got a 125B and 170C excavator. They were good machines, the 125 has quite a few hours on it, and could be running again for a little money. The 170 was an excellent machine, until some vandals decided to mess it up. The 170 only has about 1600 hours on it, and I'd like to fix it one of these days.

handtpipeline

Occupation
Utility Contractor

We hardly ever rent from a "rental company", because every time we do, it seems we end up with a pile of junk, that the hydraulic pressures and/or engine has had the power turned down. We havn't really had that problem renting from dealers, except in the case of the 320 Hyundai. They had 2 of them for years, one rigged as a hammer, and the other as an excavator. they finally sold both of them, so they have a brand new 320 now, that looks pretty nice.

handtpipeline

Occupation
Utility Contractor
Update: I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd update. On thursday (7/31/08), we finally purchased the Komatsu PC200Lc-8 that we had rented. Came out to right at $150,000.00. Even though it now has 421 hours on it, we got full warranty, the used 24" Heavy Duty bucket we've had rented for it since it was new, and a brand new 36" Heavy Duty bucket. We are going to see if they'll trade the 24" bucket for a mechanical thumb though, since I have a 24" Adco V-Bottom rock bucket already, that we'll just have to re-pin and bush to make fit the 200. We originally bought the Adco in 1981 to fit our 266 Bantam, then adapted it to fit our 225 cat, and it's on the Case 125B now.