• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hyundai 140lc - 7

7840sl

Occupation
Excavator operator
Am looking at buying my first excavator and have seen 2004 Hyundai, 6000hrs all resprayed with new under carriage, any one know much about these machines, problems etc?

TCS

My brother got a 03 or 04 Hyundai140 in trade last year from another contractor in lieu of money the guy owed him. Being a diehard Kobelco excavator guy he did not expect much from that little Hyundai until he started using it. Now he can't say enough good about it and hasn't put a dime of repair into it so far. I own both an older Robex 200 and a Kobelco SK 200. Is the Robex as smooth as the SK 200? No,but in the 8 years I have owned it it also has given me very few problems and has been a stand up machine.

ctkiteboarding

we have owned a 2007 140lcd - 7 for the past two years and 800 hrs it has proven to be a solid little machine , really has some grunt , not as smooth as the 130 case we replaced but its slightly larger and has a heavy hyd geith thumb and longer stick , so kinda apples to oranges that way. It did push a seal on the swing drive but after looking into it i think it was a oem seal that just wasn't quite right ,easy fix. no complaints, we paid 54k with under 100 hrs so it was priced right and has worked out well so far. id recommend a Hyundai to anyone with reasonable dealer support in there area.

7840sl

Occupation
Excavator operator
Ya I'm sort of the same opinion, I have seen a few comments on this forum about the Hyundai being heavy on juice???? And is the 110hp cummins a bit big for a machine this size, other 12 , 13 ton machines running 80-90 HP????

ctkiteboarding

i run my 140 a click or two down from full power, really smooths things out and helps with the thirsty cummins, its ok with me to have the extra power if i need it, my 140 is almost 34k so the 110hp is about right i feel the next gen has a isuzu which is a very good power unit with about 30% better fuel economy

Boatload

Hyundai is real good stuff. The resale is not that great because everybody is in love with CAT, but I never had a reason to sell one. They just keep going.

ctkiteboarding

yes, lots of cat lovers ,i wonder what a similar size cat with 70hrs on it would of cost , 54k lololol more like 154k no thanks

TCS

At the end of the day you are far ahead of the game. Low or no payments,lower property tax and you will still get a fair bit of that 54k back when or if you sell it.

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator