• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hymac 580 C in Ireland

strontium90

Hello everyone...this is my first post and it looks like "old iron" is the best place for me to post...I am a small farmer, and about 10 days ago, purchased an old Hymac 580 C, to clean ditches, drain land and clean round hedges...she was extremely cheap and have so far sprayed the undercarriage, renewed the brake shoes, replaced seals in on of the brake rams and the bucket cylinder...fortunately, I live about 3 miles from a breaker, so was able to source a lot there...was using her today and although I'm inexperienced on such a machine, I noticed the swing brake doesn't seem to be working, therefore the slew is a bit sloppy..I would be grateful for some advice as to the probable cause of this...thanks in advance...btw, here are some pics of the old lady
IMAG0456.jpgIMAG0445.jpgIMAG0450.jpgIMAG0451.jpgIMAG0460.jpg

I would post in the main excavator section, with my question, but they would probably laugh at me..:)

Tarhe Driver

Occupation
Comm. Real Est Appraiser-Retired cargo/helo pilot
Welcome, Strontium90,

By all means do post this in the "main excavator section." Very rarely, if ever, do they laugh at a serious question.

Neill

Tarhe Driver

Occupation
But this is a knowledge-shared group of forums; those who are not liked are those who ask a question, use the information shared, and never return to respond as to whether the advice worked or, if not, the solution that was found to have worked.

From the city with the second-largest St. Patrick's Day parade in the world,

Neill

strontium90

But this is a knowledge-shared group of forums; those who are not liked are those who ask a question, use the information shared, and never return to respond as to whether the advice worked or, if not, the solution that was found to have worked.

From the city with the second-largest St. Patrick's Day parade in the world,

Neill

I can see that Neil....I intend to do a couple of weeks more work with her before putting her in a shed and doing a bit of maintenance...bucket ram seals and shims for a start...as for the sloppy slew, will start with checking control linkages, change the hydraulic filters...check spool valve O rings and cross relief valve...I'll be back with results of these cheaper repairs before thinking about slew motor
Cheers
Alex

Tarhe Driver

Occupation
Alex, thanks for understanding the tenor of my post. Looks like you have the situation well-in-hand for the present. Am looking forward to reports from your "time in the shed!"

All the best,

Neill

tctractors

The 580C uses a Staffa Motor to slew, these are a radial piston style build that does not have a brake pack to control swing stop, the motor is the swing brake, you need to always ensure the oil tank under the hydraulic pumps is fully primed, there is a brass vent plug that can be changed to an open-close tap, if your swing motor is not holding position the fault usually points to the motor, they are well built with parts still easy found, Staffa is now owned by Kawasaki Hydraulics.

tctractors

Mplan

It's a long time ago since I was in one of those motors. Piston seals were a two piece item.the top part tapered to expand the bottom part when oil was forced into the cylinder.there's also a set of port seals in the head of the motor.cotton bud type restricters in Pistons to allow lube to crankshaft slippers.early type had a two piece bottom plate.later type a single plate(much better). Simple old thing to work on. Still have a short dipper stick for a 580.lol when I bought first hitachi the savings in hydraulic oil was almost enough to meet the payments!