• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hydrualic oil life?

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
Personally I would change oil at recommended intervals, and also have oil analysis done to. check this link out for more info. Have any of you used any Amsoil products?

I never used amsoil I just buy what the local truck parts guy has.

swampdog

Personally I would change oil at recommended intervals, and also have oil analysis done to. check this link out for more info. Have any of you used any Amsoil products?

A persistent Amsoil salesmen talked me into trying Amsoil in the engine of a diesel pickup that i bought new. I ran regular oil in the truck for the first year or so, (long enough that the warranty had run out) and then switched to Amsoil. Until then the truck had not burned oil, but after that it needed a quart after about 500 miles. I was on a trip and did not have spare Amsoil with me, which became a problem. Many places do not sell Amsoil.

The truck kept on burning oil even after switching away from Amsoil at the next oil change. What caused the engine problem? You tell me. Anyway, I haven't used Amsoil since.

03warrior

Well me being an amsoil dealer I have to say that I am sorry for hearing that you were pushed into buying the oil. That is not good salesmanship. He should have given you more info. on the product and listened to any and all your question's. Personally I know that amsoil is a great oil to use.

As far as the leaks he should have informed you that amsoil has a higher detergent concentrate than any other oil out there that I know of. This means as the oil is circulating through the engine it is loosening up and sludge that may be plugging any small cracks or holes in any of your gaskets. So know that you have switched back to another oil it will probably stop leaking at some point when the slug gets thick enough to plug those cracks. He should have also informed you that you should have those leaks corrected then switch to amsoil.

I am sorry you had a bad experience with amsoil. I hope that you found this a little informative. If you have any other question's please feel free to ask and I will answer them to the best I can. If I do not know the answer I can direct you to someone who knows.

Thanks again
Sal.:usa

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
hi swamp dog, warrior seems to be saying your engine was using oil because it was leaking out of the gaskets, was it leaking or just burning the oil? it seems unusual for an engine a year or two old to have cracked and leaking gaskets . my experience has been that if a gasket is leaking oil it only gets worse, never better.

03warrior

With my experience's (not saying I am the most experienced) because god knows that I am not. But I have had a truck that had a oil leak and over time it stopped. I never put amsoil in it because I know that it would have made the leak worse. Now I only made those comments because that is they way I understood Swampdog's rely to the post. Again I do not claim to know everything and I hope that I did not come off as doing so. If I had I am sorry. As far as the truck burning the oil, there may have been a gasket internally that was damged when the truck was put together. There may be a hundred different sceneriours as to why the truck was burning oil. I can not honestly answer that question.

swampdog

It wasn't leaking oil externally. It just went from not using oil to becoming an oil burner. The change happened at the same time that I switched from conventional oil to Amsoil. After that, I just kept on adding oil. The truck only had about 30,000 km on it when the problem began.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
swampdog, was this pickup a Ford? Oil consumption is why I won't switch to synthetic oil with my PowerStrokes, all of them burn a few quarts between changes. I've called Detroit on this and they say a quart in 500 miles is "within normal parameters".

Oil consumption and leaking are two different animals. I did a lot of research on synthetic oils when they first started becoming popular in the 80s and was warned that synthetics could cause leaks not from a higher detergent level but an increased "slipperiness" that allowed it to slide past small voids that were characteristic of gasket materials used in that time period that dino oil could not. Gasketing methods have changed to accommodate synthetics as many manufacturers now use them and new vehicles and machinery are delivered with synthetic oil products installed.

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
My Cummins goes 10,000 between oil changes on my Dodge 3500 and it has 120,000 on it. I use Valvoline 15-40 dino oil. Blackstone Labs say they don't see any extended engine life from synthetics if they are both maintained.

swampdog

swampdog, was this pickup a Ford? Oil consumption is why I won't switch to synthetic oil with my PowerStrokes, all of them burn a few quarts between changes. I've called Detroit on this and they say a quart in 500 miles is "within normal parameters".

No, it was a Toyota diesel 4x4. They sold them in Canada for mine applications, and dealers also received a few for sale to the public. I loved the truck, other than the aforementioned oil burning and body rust problems.

03warrior

Oil consumption and leaking are two different animals. I did a lot of research on synthetic oils when they first started becoming popular in the 80s and was warned that synthetics could cause leaks not from a higher detergent level but an increased "slipperiness" that allowed it to slide past small voids that were characteristic of gasket materials used in that time period that dino oil could not. Gasketing methods have changed to accommodate synthetics as many manufacturers now use them and new vehicles and machinery are delivered with synthetic oil products installed.

Thanks Steve I just learned something about the powerstrokes. :thumbsup