• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hydrostatic steering

Mike Knap

I have a 1970’s Massey 50a backhoe loader industrial Perkins diesel, great machine, recently had a massive hydraulic leak under left cowel firewall area with loss of steering. Can’t find the leak? Will put more fluid in direct steering pump on engine? It has a pump? Lever under steering wheel on left? What’s it for? Manuals don’t have info? How do I assess my loss of fluid and wher leak is? Hoses to steering wheel to valve are good? Anyone please?

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
That tractor doesn't have an orbital steering valve at the base of the steering column with hoses running to and from it? These are usually just behind the dashboard or cowl. Most tractors do use these to route hydraulic fluid from the pump to the steering cylinder(s).

Mike Knap

yes it does, it is leaked all the fluid, has a “hang pump” down to left of steering wheel, no instructions in manual on how to use. Have to go get fluid tomorrow to refill and find leak.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
They go bad and are very easy to rebuild. There are several youtube videos available. All you need are the numbers from the valve usually affixed to a riveted tag, or stamped into the housing(s).