• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hydraulic pump rebuild ?

NWH

I have a 2008 Komatsu PC78 us-6 that the main hydraulic pump has gone bad on .The dealership says there was a problem on these machines with the swash plate galling due to materials being not hard enough in its construction. The machine has about 3100 hours on it. I am looking for an alternative to replacing the pump, which would be very expensive based on past experience with Komatsu. I wan`t to repair it and then sell it. I have owned many brands of equipment , but nothing as poorly supported as this brand ! I would appreciate any suggestions as to a good pump rebuilder.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Sounds like it'll need a new rotating group, swash plate, bearings etc. As long as you don't muck around with the sensors it's a job you could yourself if you're mechanically minded and have the time.

BigWrench55

Kamatsu didn't make that pump. Take it to your local hydraulic shop and they can identify your pump and get you the parts.

NWH

I know most companies do not build their own pumps but according to the research I have done it seems this one is proprietary to Komatsu. Also it appears you have to pull the engine to remove the pump. This is according to the service manual I have. I
f anyone knows differently please let me know. My disdain for Komatsu is growing by leaps and bounds !

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The pumps used in Komatsu excavators have always been captive or manufactured by Komatsu as far as all the machines I've worked on go. Maybe it's just the area I live in but I haven't had a problem getting any parts for any Komatsu pump in years. Back in the nineties Komatsu wouldn't sell pump parts even to dealers but that seems to have went away in the mid 2000s when I was repairing plenty of them. A Dash 6 is a pretty old machine, so maybe that is your problem. I also have a little bit of a hard time believing a Dash 6 only has 3,100 original hours on the machine. I checked your model number and the PC78US-6 was made from 2002 to 2004 for US distribution. If it was made in 2008, it had a different Dash number.

NWH

The PC78US-6 was built through 2009 and the correct hours are 3189. I may be getting old but I do know what equipment I have. Also a good friend of mine has the same machine only about 20 serial numbers older with 3960 hours and has the same pump problem.
The Komatsu technician we dealt with says they have been replacing a lot of pumps on machines in this year range due to components not hardened properly

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Provide a serial number and I'll be able to tell you what year you have for sure.

As far as Komatsu technicians go, I've made a great living with their dissatisfied customers for years.