• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hydraulic hose replacement cleanliness

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I've considered buying one and doing after, but can you clean them after the fittings are on? I assumed the bare hose was cleaned after cutting and skiving.
On new hoses as far as I'm aware the SOP is to fire 2 projectiles (one from each direction) through the hose after cutting it to length, then a final projectile after crimping the end fittings in place.

I completely agree with CM & 92U regarding using projectiles to clean out hoses while still installed on a machine.

Welder Dave

Never thought of doing it on a contaminated system but it makes sense.

Our local Princess Auto does it with every hose they assemble.
They are kind of a Canadian version of Farm and Fleet and reasonably priced. Can also get hoses on the weekend.
They use Ryco hose and fittings which are apparently high quality. The 1/2" 2 wire hose I got was rated for 5100 PSI and has better abrasion resistance. Being able to get hoses on the weekend is great. They don't blow a foam plug through after assembly and they don't cap the hoses so you have to make sure to keep them away from any dirt. Prices are pretty reasonable though.

DB2

1. They use Ryco hose and fittings which are apparently high quality. The 1/2" 2 wire hose I got was rated for 5100 PSI and has better abrasion resistance. Being able to get hoses on the weekend is great. They don't blow a foam plug through after assembly and they don't cap the hoses so you have to make sure to keep them away from any dirt. Prices are pretty reasonable though.

They blow the plugs through every time where I get them made. Maybe the proximity to head office ? You should ask next time. And I’ve never had one fail as a fault of the hose. My location does put tape over the end as a precaution to keep debris out.
    We use a metal cap/plug if it has to go in a particularly nasty spot.

Last edited:

Welder Dave

I should clarify the PA store I went to blew the foam plugs through the cut hose both ways but didn't blow them through after the fittings were crimped on. I wouldn't think there would be contamination just from crimping the fittings on. Depending on the fittings I don't know if the foam plugs could be blown through after final assembly. Capped ends are nice because you can reuse them to cap connections on the machine to keep dirt out. I have a small collection I'll use on the machine or a new hose if I have to install it in a dirty environment.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
It really never occurred to me to clean new hydraulic lines other then to shoot some break Kleen through them before putting on.
Never seen the shop I use do the plug thing either.
Might be in for some problems down the road. Lol