• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hydraulic Help

R Glover

I had a hydraulic line blow on my Cat Friday, put on a new one Saturday. My problem is hydraulic fluid got on everything. I tried to wash off with my power washer. That did'nt seem to do a lotta good. Does anyone know what to use to cut this stuff? It's like walking on ice to check the oil. I must of lost 12 gallons of fluid in less than a minute.

Thanks,
Rube

shane

Occupation
Independent Field Service
No heated power washer? Hot water always worked for me.

dunno-If I only had cold water available, I might go to Wally-World and get a couple of gallons of that concentrated citrus stuff and a pump-up sprayer.

If I needed hot water and didn't have it, I'd look around for one of those mobile car detail guys with a trailer of car-wash goodies. Water tank, generator, compressor, hot water pressure washer, etc. Most of them put away in the winter, but if I look on craigslist I still see some who are hungry and willing to roll.

Just a thought.

swampdog

The soap idea, with either cold or hot water, sounds good.

Does your pressure washer have a soap injection feature? If not, take some liquid dish detergent (a good one, like Sunlight) and work that into the oil residue with a broom or a brush. Then hit it with the pressure washer. You could also try something like Marine Clean, sold by POR 15 dealers.

dayexco

go to dollar store, by 2 gals of awesome, mix w/2 gals water in a weed sprayer, apply, let sit for about 4-5 mins...pressure wash it off. slicker'n snot on a door knob

ddigger

Occupation
contractor,owner operater
My bulk oil distributer (cheveron products) sells a product in a 5 gal pail simply called detergent, although it is a lite petrolem product I believe. I just apply it full strength with a weed type sprayer let sit for a few minutes and rinse off with my cold water, presure washer and the grease and oil just melts away. Check with your supplier maybe he will know what it is. good luck.

R Glover

Thanks for the responses, I knew ya'll would have good advice. I guess this happens to everyone sooner or later.

Thanks again.
Rube

360joe

Leave it

I would be reluctant to put a power washer anywhere near your CAT. In general, I think people do alot more harm than good with them. You risk blowing water and detergent into places that it shouldn't go. I would rather mop up what I could with newspaper and leave it at that.

ddigger

Occupation
contractor,owner operater
Now that its light I went to the shop heres the name and # for that product I mentioned. You could call and see if they have a distributer in your area, you wont be disapointed.
NETCHEM DETERGENT A

Ashland Chemical Co
Colombus Ohio 1 800 274 5263

dayexco

i've got a great hot/high pressure washer, and good detergents...i just wish there was a spray on product that took off that last "road film" without hand scrubbing, or discoloring paint.

hammer66

Occupation
crushing screening,etc.....
I had a hydraulic line blow on my Cat Friday, put on a new one Saturday. My problem is hydraulic fluid got on everything. I tried to wash off with my power washer. That did'nt seem to do a lotta good. Does anyone know what to use to cut this stuff? It's like walking on ice to check the oil. I must of lost 12 gallons of fluid in less than a minute.

Thanks,
Rube

i would suggest a case of breakcleaner

pinesd3400

Occupation
anything to bay the bills
Im a newbie I got here by accident wonderful site. Ok try this: everything I own I did
this. Local hardware store will have that black I think (sump pump) drain hose that
kinky plastic stuff. I slit it and put it on all my hoses with wire ties. I like my things
waxed and washed so when I lost a bucket hose on my 755 Ford all over glass soaked
and this happens in a slit second. So I covered them, lost another hose on the hoe, and
the oil is atleast contained not causing a big mess. I found the #1 killer is hoses being
sun baked. Just did the excavator , it protects and really looks nice black & shinny, and
real cheap like 10 bucks for 25 or so feet.
sam

R Glover

Pinesd,
Thats a great idea, never thunk of that. I will get some of that hose and give that a try.

Thanks,
Rube

Iron Horse

Iveco truck wash , it's the best i have ever used . I have just done the same thing , hydraulic oil everywhere . Just sprayed it on with a weed sprayer and hosed off . Clean as a whistle , it also removes road grime that you normally need to rub with a sponge . Any truck accessories outlet will have it .

ellrod

Thanks,
Rube

The Dollar store stuff works real good but if you are not real fond of the paint you can use greased lightning:D Trick with it is do a small area and get it off fast with presure washer. Anywhere greased lightning is left on or the residue is left you have a streak in the paint. It will cut stuff that purple power won't touch but purple power is about 1/2 as hard on paint.