• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Howard Rotavator Selectatilth PTO Shaft

chasehalvy

I have an old Howard Rotavator that is missing the pto shaft and slip clutch. Does anyone know where I could find one?1000006040.jpg1000006037.jpg1000006038.jpg

JaredV

Unless it's something unique to Howard, Tractor Supply has various shafts and parts to put a shaft together if they don't have a complete one that works. They probably have slip clutches, too. I would think any reputable ag parts place or website should be able to help you out.

chasehalvy

Unless it's something unique to Howard, Tractor Supply has various shafts and parts to put a shaft together if they don't have a complete one that works. They probably have slip clutches, too. I would think any reputable ag parts place or website should be able to help you out.
I tried Tractor supply but the problem is the tiller has a 10 spline shaft and most modern shafts are 6 spline.

Welder Dave

Looks like a model P. Try this place. Years ago the owners dad was a Howard distributor (Suburban Equipment). I know they still had some Howard parts when I was in there a few years ago because I saw the back cover for a selectatilth gearbox. They likely have the parts books. If the part part isn't available they may know a solution. They might have the big gauge wheel you're missing too. That's a darn good rototiller.

chasehalvy

Looks like a model P. Try this place. Years ago the owners dad was a Howard distributor (Suburban Equipment). I know they still had some Howard parts when I was in there a few years ago because I saw the back cover for a selectatilth gearbox. They likely have the parts books. If the part part isn't available they may know a solution. They might have the big gauge wheel you're missing too. That's a darn good rototiller.

Thank you. I will give them a try. Fingers crossed.

Welder Dave

Did they have any idea or at least a pic. of it from a parts book? I'd think a good machine shop may be able to make an adapter to use a standard PTO shaft. I'm not sure if the original Howard's used a slip clutch. Could maybe pick up a standard splined PTO adapter and see if a machine shop could make an adapter. I could see a piece of round stock machined to fit the splines on the tiller with a flat end that bolts on. Then it could have holes threaded around it for a matching plate with a standard 1 3/8" 6 spline PTO shaft. It could be welded on to the plate. If Tram had a pic. would sure help.

chasehalvy

Did they have any idea or at least a pic. of it from a parts book? I'd think a good machine shop may be able to make an adapter to use a standard PTO shaft. I'm not sure if the original Howard's used a slip clutch. Could maybe pick up a standard splined PTO adapter and see if a machine shop could make an adapter. I could see a piece of round stock machined to fit the splines on the tiller with a flat end that bolts on. Then it could have holes threaded around it for a matching plate with a standard 1 3/8" 6 spline PTO shaft. It could be welded on to the plate. If Tram had a pic. would sure help.
No they sent a manual of it with an exploded view but no dimensional drawing. I think I'm at the point of getting something machined because I can't find anything. They did use a slip clutch so if I have an adapter machined then I could use a readily available slip clutch.