• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

**How would you answer these INTERVIEW questions (CAT/Deere)**

Cammc

Hey guys, This is my second thread in General Industry Questions.

I might be able to get interview with Finning CAT and Deere dealer in Alberta. My question is what sort of questions can I expect from these guys during the interview?

I'm no good at interviews and the questions they ask seem stupid (in my opinion).

How would you answer these as a mechanic or an apprentice mechanic.

What are your long term goals?

What are your shot term goals?

Where do you see yourself in 5 or 10 years?

What are your greatest weakness?

What are your strengths?

I mean I think those questions aren't really suited towards a Heavy Duty Mechanic, but since most of these jobs offered through HR department, they always ask these.

Also what sort of technical questions can I expect?

Any other tips?

Thanks again!

joispoi

These are very good questions that you should put some serious thought into. Don´t think about what you think they want you to say.

Long term goals- Think about what success means to you. Where do you want to go in your career?

Short term goals- What skill sets do you need to acquire and improve to make you really good at what you want to do? Or maybe there´s something else?

Greatest weakness- If you´re going in as an apprentice, you don´t have much experience. Maybe it´s that.

Greatest strengths- Brag (in a modest way) about what you´re good at.

You should answer these questions more for yourself than for any interviewer. Throughout your career, you may have multiple jobs and multiple opportunities that you will need to consider. If you can map out which direction you want to go, you´re ahead of the game.

milling_drum

Occupation
asphalt mill operator (ret)
HR depts generally have no idea about whats going on in the field/shop. Maybe you could formulate some of your own questions for the interviewer like:

As a tech/mechanic what type of direct support will be provided by CAT/Deere?

Will I/we be informed of upgrades/system changes/modifications to existing trouble shooting techniques?

Does CAT/Deere offer direct factory/aftermarket parts program of which I can draw upon if necessary if the situation calls for it?

Will I be able to give the customer an honest answer on whatever situation I am placed in without having to worry about being lied to by supply people? Will my parts be there on time?

Will the dealer assist with tool purchases?

In my opinion HR depts are worthless and in most cases its a good idea to take a bit of an offensive stance instead of letting them push you into forcing answers too questions that in most scenarios go into a file that never sees light after the interview. CAT down here in the USA have made more mistakes then I can relate on this form, If your going to be one of the techs/mechanics, you are going to have to swallow some **** quite a bit. Be ready for it.

Sorry for going off topic.

Cammc

These are very good questions that you should put some serious thought into. Don´t think about what you think they want you to say.

Long term goals- Think about what success means to you. Where do you want to go in your career?

Short term goals- What skill sets do you need to acquire and improve to make you really good at what you want to do? Or maybe there´s something else?

Greatest weakness- If you´re going in as an apprentice, you don´t have much experience. Maybe it´s that.

You should answer these questions more for yourself than for any interviewer. Throughout your career, you may have multiple jobs and multiple opportunities that you will need to consider. If you can map out which direction you want to go, you´re ahead of the game.

I tried to answer for myself, but that's not the answer they wanted, when I interviewed at places before.

When asked, where do you see yourself in 5 year? I told them I see myself working for a great company where I can advance my career. Then she said "What else?" I'm sure she had a answer in her mind that she expected me to say, so she could move onto her next question.

And I'm going in as an apprentice and they know that so lack of experience isn't really a disadvantage unless I was applying for a qualified mechanic position as an apprentice. I have the amount of experience required from a 2nd year apprentice and maybe more.

But you are right about having goals. And I know that the goals I have set for myself might be seen as a disadvantage to the hiring company. So that's why for the interviews sake tell them your goals that they expect you to have, that'll benefit their company as well.

HR depts generally have no idea about whats going on in the field/shop. Maybe you could formulate some of your own questions for the interviewer like:

As a tech/mechanic what type of direct support will be provided by CAT/Deere?

Will I/we be informed of upgrades/system changes/modifications to existing trouble shooting techniques?

Does CAT/Deere offer direct factory/aftermarket parts program of which I can draw upon if necessary if the situation calls for it?

Will I be able to give the customer an honest answer on whatever situation I am placed in without having to worry about being lied to by supply people? Will my parts be there on time?

Will the dealer assist with tool purchases?

In my opinion HR depts are worthless and in most cases its a good idea to take a bit of an offensive stance instead of letting them push you into forcing answers too questions that in most scenarios go into a file that never sees light after the interview. CAT down here in the USA have made more mistakes then I can relate on this form, If your going to be one of the techs/mechanics, you are going to have to swallow some **** quite a bit. Be ready for it.

Sorry for going off topic.

You're right. In Skilled trades there is not much use for HR departments in the Hiring procedure. Person hiring should be lead-hand or supervisor or someone who has knowledge of the trade.

During one of my phone interview I was asked a technical question about engine starting. She said you go to a truck and you switch on the truck and the engine does not start. I asked her if the engine was cranking at all. She said the engine does not start. I assumed that the starter wasn't getting any juice, so I told her first I would check the batteries and connections. Anyways long story short, she said that the fuel filter was the problem. Again she didn't clarify if the engine was cranking.

Before when I was just starting out in the trade, I went to small truck shops in my area and talked to the supervisor and told them that I'd work for a day or 2 for free and if you like what I do, then hire me. And that's how I got into this trade.

And thanks for the good pointers, I'll keep those in mind. And most of the interviews will be on phone.

milling_drum

Occupation
asphalt mill operator (ret)
Don't sweat it. Since you live in Alberta which is the oil/gas industry province up there, its mostly likely the same way it is down here in America, go to the patch and you will catch a job in a day or two no problem. To sweat big boys like CAT and Deere means a process and plenty of BS. A construction company or trucking operation would give you a job in a second at this time of the year with the season about ready to break open.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The questions you have posed are the stock questions of any HR department. It appears to me you know the questions and already know the answers you will give.

I have only once gone before a HR interviewer when I was very green. You usually only see them at fairly large companies and here is a hint, they are there to keep their employer from getting sued, not to find the best employee candidate. They ask a bunch of BS questions that really don't mean anything. They are just trying to assess whether or not you will cause trouble instead of doing the work assigned.

Since you are applying for what is generally thought of as an entry level position you really don't have any way of getting aggressive with return questions. That will only tell them they are dealing with an arm chair attorney and the interview will end with a thud. They will ask you questions that are open ended trying to get you to reveal more of yourself than perhaps you want. Don't fall into that trap. Answer the question in a basic way and then shut up. If the interviewer wants more than you want to give, consider just saying you hadn't thought about the question in that way and would need more time to consider it.

Towards the ends of the interview they will provide you time to ask questions. You might ask how often pay day comes, what kind of retirement programs they have, medical policies and other benefits. Don't ask about people you might know who work there or working conditions. These are flags saying possible problems that need to be addressed.

You are selling yourself in these interviews, but most of the time the buyer of the services will talk themselves into the purchase. Don't provide more information than is necessary to make the sale.

Good Luck!!

rare ss

its funny, I've only ever had one offical "job interview" and i went into it unprepared, well the questions were pretty out there i thought, it was for a supervisors position within the company which i was working for and it went into about 6 ot 7 differant hypothetical suituations regarding employees doing certain things wrong with each responce that i gave for each case leading into 4 or 5 follow up "well then what if" questions.. left the room feeling pretty violated haha
but i digress, other than that all other jobs that i have had involved a chat with the boss and a handshake after them hearing the name you make for yourself from previous jobs and guys you've worked with over the years which is why i love the trade

Hendrik

I reckon you gotta have a mix of how you truly feel and what they want to hear, if you just say what they want to hear they will know you are full of BS.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
If I want to collect unemployment for awhile longer I ask this:

Does the health insurance for this job cover medical marijuana?

That usually guarantees a quick end to all the questions.

koldsteele

Occupation
Owner Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Cammc ...you got the want to know ...I'd hire you in a heartbeat ... most people that have worked for me want to know when is pay day and quitin time is ...

With the passion of the want to know ..you'll be fine

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I work at finning, the big one will be do you have a pulse and do you breathe. They need people bad.
I used to work for Finning, not in Canada though. I didn't realize it was that bad these days ........

Even though many of the posters above have dismissed the questions as HR/Personnel Dept BS, I think there is more to it than that if you are going to go into the organization at the bottom of the totem pole so to speak. The HR interviewer is a "filter" for want of a better word to try to pick out the "candidates with potential" from the dead-beats. If you want to make a medium-to-long-term career with a company think along the lines that opportunity is not necessarily going to fall into your lap, you have to have some idea where you are going and how you're gonna get there. I can't express it better than "Joispoi" above .......

"These are very good questions that you should put some serious thought into. Don´t think about what you think they want you to say."

If your skill levels are not that great right now don't be frightened to tell the interviewer that you will need a major amount of assistance (training, ideas interchanges, etc,) from the company to help you reach your goals - that benefits both you & the company in the long-term.
The last think you want to be telling the interviewer is that in 5/10 years time you see yourself as still being a base-level service mechanic (however much it might pay an hour) - it shows a total lack of ambition.

Best of luck.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Nige has a good handle on it, or you could answer each with 'Kicking ass!'

Bigironjim

Occupation
Lard, wishes, manure, nails, bongo's, flyswatters,
Cammc> How did this turn out? Did you get an inteview? Job offer?
Let us know.