• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How tight? Fuel transfer pumps

Fat Dan

How tight/hard are the fuel transfer pump shafts suppose to spin? The one on the 57, 955C, 12A03563 is tight - not a seized tight but more like a tight rubber seal. Could it be dried out seal? Had old fuel inside. My concern is a seal too tight will wear a grove in the shaft. Feels like the old garden hose rubber vain type pump.
Are new seals that tight, maybe?
Inspected/lubed pump gears, with gears removed shaft still spins tight.
Is this a good tight or a bad tight? I've done my fair share of seals in my time. Is this seal tight because it is 1, fuel and 2, under pressure?
I went to town to go ask our local cat dealer but the wife had other plans - we went to the other town.
Fuel Transfer Pump Group 5F6607

Fat Dan

Went to local Cat Shop the service manager said it is a good tight - "like new". While I was there I grabbed some primer n paint.
I realize tight is an ambiguous term which would make any response a little foggy at best.
Thanks for looking
Cat First Memorabilia.jpg Cat parts.jpg Fuel Transfer Pump.jpg

Reactions: DB2