• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How old is your truck?Pics please!!

jmac

dump truk.jpg

Here is a photo of my 89 rd690. Runs strong everyday. Has to be plugged in for the winter or she doesn't want to start.

jmac

thanks woodee, the truck is not very user freindly to drive but I know that it will last. Truck has over 750,000 miles on it. I have been tempted to look at a newer tri-axle before the economy went bust, I just like the old truck and glad I found it. This truck has made me more money than a newer one would of the last couple of years. I would like to think that a newer Mack would be as tough as this one but I have been told "don't count on it"

FarmerDave

I like that other Dodge. I agree, I hate working on them but they are a cool truck. I'm just 16 and I am pretty flexible but they are awful things to work on.

busdrivernine

Jmac keep what you have the new stuff is nothing more than alot of plastic crap , sensors and computers that will give you nothing but Hell o . That is what I like about my old 1988 Pete no computers and it is something that I can make the payment on each month . I saw a new think it was a pete 386 tandeum with airlft pusher and a OX body probally a 16 ft with elec tarp but nothng real fancy on inside and they we asking $127,000 not including FET or sales tax and no of the other charges that they can put on there to get more money . Keep it till the wheels fall off then get some super glue and glue them back on then you are good for another million miles
The speedo on the pete shows 302523 and I am sure that there is a 1 infront of the 3. twj

Reuben

yeah that is Scarsella Brothers of Kent WA. Mack should have been paying them to do R&D work for them, we were working on a 9 Mil yard mass fill and working trucks 20 hours a day. About 3500 miles a week total on them and they bought at least 30 tractors and 10 dump trucks. The dump trucks were 2004s and the tractors were 2005s. We helped Mack so much do the the extreme amount of miles we were putting on them, and by also having two differnt platforms to help determine causes of problems. The local Mack dealer had 3 tractors that they simply used to rob parts off of in order to keep the fleet on the road, since most of the issues were warrentee anyway and in the end they bought them three anyway. I was amazing to me how consistant the failure of a certain part would be. For example the fan clutch issue, withing 5000 miles of each other (50,000-55,000) 75% of the fleet had the fan clutch fail. It was about a 10k spread for the coolant resivors. OMG and don't get me started on the injector fuel line cracks on the short lines that go into the injector. I swore we were going to burn one of the trucks down to the ground. They would crack and leak on the exhaust manifold. If left unseen, it would get so bad that it looked like a Nascar truck blowing an engine for all the diesel smoke coming out from under the truck. Would fill the cab with smoke too. I could always find those leaks early by just smelling my shirt at the end of the day, any exhaust leak or smoke from the cab will concentrate on your clothes. Good times, was strange to get use to the fact that the position of the driver was moved out toward the drivers side a few inches to widen the cab. You get so use to your own position in the lane that when you switch it up like that you end up keeping your body in the same place in the lane but now the truck is shifted over to the passenger side. Makes for some scary mirror checks till you get your landmarks reestablished.

Note that is a live petrolium pipeline supplying the aircraft hardstand that is cast in the CDF (controled density fill) that the excavor is trenching under. Not my idea of fun.

Horrible situation that excavator is in. He should be straddling the ditch and digging down the hole with the track perpendicular to the hole.If that caves in he is all but screwed

fArMeRkNoWsBeSt

Occupation
Farmer
Hi there, we run a 1999 Autocar with a Custom 40ft aluminum end dump for hauling grain from our fields to our elevator and then to the end user. We bought the truck and trailer this year and they really sped up the harvest particularly on our long hauls. Where last year we had 4 tractors running back and forth and the combine almost always waiting for the wagons to return, this year we had the truck and one of our fast tractors (32mph tranny) keeping up with the drivers waiting on each other. Hoping to get a float this winter to haul our excavator around with.

Attachments

• 6a2ab00c.jpg
    6a2ab00c.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,677
  • 29fddb88.jpg
    29fddb88.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,682

busdrivernine

Hi there, we run a 1999 Autocar with a Custom 40ft aluminum end dump for hauling grain from our fields to our elevator and then to the end user. We bought the truck and trailer this year and they really sped up the harvest particularly on our long hauls. Where last year we had 4 tractors running back and forth and the combine almost always waiting for the wagons to return, this year we had the truck and one of our fast tractors (32mph tranny) keeping up with the drivers waiting on each other. Hoping to get a float this winter to haul our excavator around with.

IN the last picture I see you standing on the fuel tanks step looking back at the raised trailer I hope that you do not do this as you raise the trailer to unload esp a fixed frame If the trailer was to tip over you would not stand a snow ball chance in Hadees of not getting hurt . Tipovers hurt you enough if you are sitting in the drivers seat but standing on the fuel tank looking back not good for your own safety . I know cause this happened to me way back in the mid 70's back when you could just weld your 5th wheel to the frame and u bolts was a option only thing that save my butt was the welds broke on the fifth wheel and only turned the trailer over and not the whole truck and trailer . twj

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
I bought a Chevy C50 in 1975 and then a GMC 7000 with a 366 gasser in 1984 which I still have. That means I have been looking at the same basic body and dash for 34 years.:dizzy:falldownlaugh I have pulled over 60,000 lb with the truck loaded and a Lull 844 on a trailer. Lucky Long Island has few steep hills. I'll try to get a picture this week to post. I even found it in diecast with a stake bed. It has been a great truck.:drinkup May be they can bury me in it. I built the 18' flat bed body on a Thanksgiving weekend starting on Wen. and bolting it on Monday night after work. When I looked at a new truck they say how can you put that old body on a new truck? I told them easy as it looks like it did the day I built it.

I bought a new hood for the truck 3 years ago but just did body work on the truck so never used it and it sits in my office.

Last edited:

Axman

My Pete 359

Here is a pic of my 1980 Pete 359. I Bought this truck about 18 months ago when I was working on a job in CA and had it shipped back up to WA. It needed allot of TLC getting everything working and cleaned up but was still cheaper than buying a truck in the northwest. Some of what it has is a 400 Cummings with a 13 speed overdrive, 3 stage jake, double frame, 14 ft box with electric tarp, lockers, Alpine CD player with twin 700w amps, four 200w speakers and a 500watt sub woofer. That way if she starts making any scary noises you can turn the stereo up loud enough until the sound goes away until you get home :drinkup Mainly just used to transport equipment but I do some hauling for my own jobs if I don't need allot of material.

Attachments

• Dump and equipment.jpg
    Dump and equipment.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,638

dirt digger

Occupation
pushing dirt, baling hay, and hitting the books
beautiful truck Axman...here is our 1988 357 Pete

Attachments

• 10-5-2008 007.jpg
    10-5-2008 007.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1,680
  • 10-5-2008 006.jpg
    10-5-2008 006.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,669

dirt digger

Occupation
you got that right...i wish ours was as shiny as yours with the aluminum and stacks though

Axman

You wouldn't think so if you could see it right now! It's been cold, rainy and freezing for the past month so it's looking pretty bad after driving down all the gravel roads and through the mud! It's 28 degrees right now and their saying we are going to get 12 inches of snow by Saturday with lows at -10 and highs of 9 for about the next week. I try and keep everything washed and cleaned between jobs but that's not going to happen for a while! It does look good as long as you keep it up but when you get behind:pointhead

dirt digger

Occupation
Nice truck you would think you would give details though:beatsme Not nice to just leave a guy hanging:guns

hmmm details?...well 8LL, double frame, CATersmellar engine in it (i forget the model), the dam AM/FM radio doesn't work so it makes it nice to haul dirt all day in it:Banghead, 2 stage jake, lockers

i really like the truck, it shifts nice and does a decent job...she smokes a lot though...really rolls out the black coal smoke...we got the motor worked on this summer...3 injectors were bad and it needed a new head gasket, after that she is running a lot better

heres some pictures of the typical setups i ran with her

Attachments

• 6-15-08 001 edit.jpg
    6-15-08 001 edit.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,644
  • 5-20-08 001.jpg
    5-20-08 001.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,641
  • Rotation_3.jpg
    Rotation_3.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 1,640
Last edited:

Raildudes dad

Nice looking oldies guys. I bought Toyman's 87 Ford LTL9000 because I always liked the looks of those old square fendered Fords and hope to shine it up so it looks as good as yours. I just bought a 1954 IHC TD6 in nice shape to put on the lowboy;) (the truck was named Dad's Mid Life Crisis 3 and the dozer Dad's Mid Life Crisis 4:) ) The 89 Searay 230 was Mid Life Crisis 1 and my 1966 P&H 215C was Mid Life Crisis 2. It's great to have the kids college expenses out of the way and spend a little on myself:cool:

Axman

Red Bank: Nice looking old Mack!! Looks like you have taken really good care of her! Nothing says your a professional more to a customer than pulling up to a job with a clean truck and equipment, even if it is old!

Dirt Digger: Your holding out on me! I see a 359 parked next to your dump! Is that just a tractor for hauling lowboys ect...

Raildudes Dad: Where's the PICS? I worked for a company that gave me a LTL9000 equipment hauler to haul a backhoe around from job to job. It had a CAT motor (don't know how many hp) and a 15 speed, it was great! That thing would climb any hill around with the backhoe on it like it was on flat ground. The 15 speed freaked me out with 4th-5th gear placement being backwards. The rest of the truck was junk but I still loved to drive it.