• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How much truck do I need.

toyman

Occupation
Owner of Excavating Company
I have a 315 Cat excavator. Previously it has been moved by someone else. I am in need of a truck and trailer for this, can I get away with a single axle truck and a 25 ton trailer? Or should I look for a tandem truck with the same type trailer. I really don't want a front detach drop deck. The 25 ton trailer is the only thing this truck would haul, various machines.

Thanks for your input.

Toyman

HeyUvaVT

i wouldnt pull anything bigger than a 312 without a tandem...and even with the 312 it shouldnt be an everyday thing...you want to make sure that you can not only get the load moving but that you have enough truck to stop it when you hit the brakes too...

Kgmz

Occupation
General Contractor
No you cannot get by with a single axle truck.

Why?

Because the way these trailers are designed is that the tongue transfers quite a bit of weight to the truck. So depending on how much weight is on the rear axle of a single axle truck you would probably be overloaded. And you don't want to move you load back on the trailer to lighten the tongue, because then it would tow squirrely and not very safe.

Also depending on where you are if you move the load back you will be overloaded on the trailer axles if it is a tandem. Around here we can carry 34,000 on a tandem, and 42,000 to 43,500 on a tri-axle depending on the spread. A tandem axle trailer 20 ton trailer weighs about 10,000 lbs., a tri-axle 25 ton trailer weighs about 13,000 lbs. And you are talking about carrying a 36,000 lb excavator. So if you figure this all out you need to transfer at least 10,000 and preferably more to the tongue for the truck to carry.

When I am hauling somthing this big on our TrailMax TRD50 tri-axle, I prefer about 15,000 lbs. on the tongue. It just seems to ride and tow better.

And as you can see this would probably overload a single axle, and I would want the extra brakes with a tandem.

toyman

Occupation
Very good points KGMZ. I think I just found an L9000 right around the corner from me. I'm going to go check it over tomorrow, then all I would need is a trailer.

Thanks for the input guys.

Toyman

Kgmz

Occupation
General Contractor
Just remembered something else I should have added before.

Make sure that your pintle coupler is rated for the load and tongue weight. And that where the coupler is mounted is adequate for the anticipated loads.

There a lot of pintle couplers that are only rated for 6,000 lbs of tongue weight, etc.

We have Premier 2300 air adjusted couplers on our trucks, and they are rated for 100,000 lbs gross trailer weight and 20,000 lbs of tongue weight.

http://www.premier-mfg.com/

toyman

Occupation
I'm looking at a semi to pull my excavator with, mainly for a lower trailer height. Just not comfortable running it up 3+ feet to put it on a trailer. The trailer I am looking at is 24", I know it's only a foot but I feel better about it. Plus I will be a foot lower for branches and low flying power lines.

Toyman

Gmads

Occupation
Ditchdigger
Toyman, I was thinking about doing the same thing (single axle tractor with a fifth-wheel 25 ton trailer) for hauling smaller/non permitted equipment in the city. My thinking was a 34,000lb allowable on the rear/trailer tandems and 23,000 on the rear tractor. I was looking for feedback on this also as it seems like that would be sufficient to haul a 15 ton class excavator (maybe 36,000lbs). I wouldn't do it with pintle hitch setup but I'm curious to more feedback on the fifth wheel set-up.

bear

Occupation
Math, Physics, keeping out of trouble and doing od
A tandem axle truck and a good lowboy trailer is what i recomend. max capacity max brakes and some good ponies under the hood. Be sure to get a good balance between the truck and trailer wieghts. I agree with a previous post and like just a tad more on the truck, especially in wet or snowy conditions for traction. as far as the lowboy, the front drop trailers are good, most of the ones i messed with had 3 axles on the rear which could occasionally make turning a pain in tight spots but carried the load well.

hvy 1ton

There is a guy that lives south of me that runs a single axle W900 with a 25tonn non-detach lowboy. He hauls a 580, 315c, and a dozer. I've never seen the dozer so i don't know what size. He really like the truck, hauls hay to Colorado with two 30' trailers when business slows down.
He has a trail king like this one, except shorter and white to match the 900.
TK_rigid_gooseneck_50_70__RG.jpg

euclid

Occupation
Engineering
Toyman, I was thinking about doing the same thing (single axle tractor with a fifth-wheel 25 ton trailer) for hauling smaller/non permitted equipment in the city. My thinking was a 34,000lb allowable on the rear/trailer tandems and 23,000 on the rear tractor. I was looking for feedback on this also as it seems like that would be sufficient to haul a 15 ton class excavator (maybe 36,000lbs). I wouldn't do it with pintle hitch setup but I'm curious to more feedback on the fifth wheel set-up.

Might be a wise suggestion to ensure good brakes and good ponies since the idiot drivers and non insured immigrants in the D/FW would put your load at risk everytime you are out on the road. I can't really picture myself on 635 or the LBJ and trying to stop quick without something going really wrong....:IMO

Gmads

Occupation
Ditchdigger
I agree that in a perfect world I'd have the luxury of overkill. My thought with a city truck is a shorter trailer and truck combo for agility around town. I only have one 15 ton class excavator but have 21 other pieces that would be OK on this combo (312 class on down/loaders/backhoes/compactors). Everything I have larger, I'd still contract out. I'd like a trailer like the one pictured by hvy1ton (just shorter) or like this:
http://www.overbilttrailers.com/2535low.asp

And I'd like a big powered single axle with maybe 350+ hp - Cat C12 or so. I just thought it'd be a little cheaper set-up, easier to get around town, maybe a little less upkeep/maintenance, and maybe less enforcement prone as I stick to non-permit loads.

Of course, I also think I'm suave and good-looking, so there is plenty of evidence to show I'm not a very good thinker:).

euclid

Occupation
Engineering
nice trailer shown! yes in a perfect world things would be different but you know the drill. I am from Ft. Worth originally and I've been gone over 30 years except for the ocassional visit and I still think about my friend who tells me of the non-licensed/insured drivers in the area and how the cops turn a blind eye to enforcement which is pretty much an oximoron unless it is you or I. :Banghead Well best of luck with your plans I hope everything will work out for you.:salute

Gmads

Occupation
Ditchdigger
Thanks. Ironically, I'm 25-30 years removed from Columbia, MD (Howard County). Small world.

euclid

Occupation
Engineering
Thanks. Ironically, I'm 25-30 years removed from Columbia, MD (Howard County). Small world.

Have you been back? you might not reconize how it has grown. I live down in Calvert county for about 12 years now. I grew up in the Panhandle of Texas N.W. of Amarillo so that part of the state is home to me even though I have a few relatives in D/FW.

Gmads

Occupation
Ditchdigger
Went back a few years ago to see the old house - seems so small now. Love west Texas. Used to date a girl from Miami (Miama) but never got to see the cow calling contest, and my wife is from Lubbock. Have a family ranch in Post - sometimes I get to act like a cowboy.

euclid

Occupation
Engineering
Went back a few years ago to see the old house - seems so small now. Love west Texas. Used to date a girl from Miami (Miama) but never got to see the cow calling contest, and my wife is from Lubbock. Have a family ranch in Post - sometimes I get to act like a cowboy.
driving down FM 385 one day back in the mid 80's and I saw a farm that had a landing strip for crop dusting up on the north west end of Lubbock around muleshoe. I miss those hills and dust and what not way more than D/FW. Jusat roades and stuff no more country persa.
Indeed a small world, did you have a Hard crab yearning like most Marylanders? hardcrabs are too much work, I'll shuck a oyster or clam in a heartbeat, ya'll have them crabs.:eek:

Last edited:

Gmads

Occupation
Ditchdigger
No yearnings, but we always had a bushel on holidays - Memorial Day, Labor Day, etc. I do remember I used to love crab chips - potato chips w/crab seasoning on them. I'd take my allowance down to the Wawa and buy crab chips and candy. There's no accounting for taste.

euclid

Occupation
Engineering
No yearnings, but we always had a bushel on holidays - Memorial Day, Labor Day, etc. I do remember I used to love crab chips - potato chips w/crab seasoning on them. I'd take my allowance down to the Wawa and buy crab chips and candy. There's no accounting for taste.

Well if you need any utz chips you can order them on line. http://www.utzsnacks.com/products.html
You know now they are limiting the amounts of crabs the waterman can harvest and it will make the market go up like crazy. The days of plentiful crabs are over I think.....:(

hvy 1ton

Picture

I saw the W900 at a jobsite today thought i would post up a pic. The trailer doesn't look like the trail king i posted, but i thought thats what he said it was.