• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How many lower there fee's?

cat320

Charter Member
I just saw an ad on craigs list in nh for a guy that has an excavting bussiness and is slow. He is willing to work a small bobcat for $50 an hr min 3 hours.I know things are slow but that hardly seams like it worth going out of the house for, when you think of machine and truck fuel, wear and tear and haveing to load and unload then load back up again the machine.That price was fine when fuel was down around a dollar or so .

Aussie Nick

I guess when your business is dead it may be psychologically healing to be active working............ even if you have to pay for it. Its not going to do much for the overdraft except run it in the red but it might keep a smile on your face, if you like keeping busy.

humboldt deere

Occupation
general building and engineering contractor
I guess when your business is dead it may be psychologically healing to be active working............ even if you have to pay for it. Its not going to do much for the overdraft except run it in the red but it might keep a smile on your face, if you like keeping busy.
I agree, not making money sucks but not working period is the worst.

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business

Gotta dissagree with you on that one, Aussie Nick. It's far better to leave the equipment in the yard than wear it out and lose money at the same time. It is not a problem that we have ever had but we do not lower our rates just to get a job. There is no point buying work. (more time to go on the forum):D

Rn'R.

stumper120

i believe there is negative incom, positive incom, and even incom, if he goes out for $50 dollars an hour he may not be putting extra money in the bank but at least he doesent have to borrow money to make his monthly insurance payment. parked equiptment makes negative money if you are paying for it to sit there.

Gmads

Occupation
Ditchdigger
I had a guy pull up today in a tandem today looking for dirt. He then went on to tell me he was willing to hire out at $35/hr. :eek:

RocksnRoses

Occupation
i believe there is negative incom, positive incom, and even incom, if he goes out for $50 dollars an hour he may not be putting extra money in the bank but at least he doesent have to borrow money to make his monthly insurance payment. parked equiptment makes negative money if you are paying for it to sit there.

G'day stumper120,
My argument is, that once he lowers his prices, he will never get them back to where they were and even if he does, by then all his costs have gone up, so he will have to put his prices up even more to survive. It is far better to increase your prices a little, often, than big jumps occassionally. What happens if his machine breaks down, because they only break down when they are working, not while they are sitting in the yard? He is only making enough money to meet his commitments, so how does he repair the machine?
I'm not having a go, stumper120, this is a very interesting topic and one that comes up every time there is a downturn in business. The cowboys will cut their prices, do a second rate job and then dissappear because they have gone broke and this makes it a lot harder for the serious operators that are in it for the long haul.
A little bit of advice was given to me by a bank manager (and I could write a book on bank managers) and I say this to all of you young blokes out there having a go "Think with your head, not your heart".

Rn'R.

Aussie Nick

G'day stumper120,
My argument is, that once he lowers his prices, he will never get them back to where they were and even if he does, by then all his costs have gone up, so he will have to put his prices up even more to survive. It is far better to increase your prices a little, often, than big jumps occassionally. What happens if his machine breaks down, because they only break down when they are working, not while they are sitting in the yard? He is only making enough money to meet his commitments, so how does he repair the machine?
I'm not having a go, stumper120, this is a very interesting topic and one that comes up every time there is a downturn in business. The cowboys will cut their prices, do a second rate job and then dissappear because they have gone broke and this makes it a lot harder for the serious operators that are in it for the long haul.
A little bit of advice was given to me by a bank manager (and I could write a book on bank managers) and I say this to all of you young blokes out there having a go "Think with your head, not your heart".

Rn'R.

If you read my post carefully you will see that I touched on your point of view and gave it creedence.

The problem with just taking your position in a recession is that sitting around doing nothing can cost the person serious psychological problems.
This is especially so as recessions often occur over several months if not years.

I do not agree that if you lower your charges that you then can't raise them again. I think your fee structure has to represent the economic climate otherwise you stand a good chance of being a forgotten non-entity.

The activity itself and being seen to be "operating " generates business, in most cases.

Being in business means that you are not on a set wage and one has to go with the flow both in times of prosperity as well as downturn.

With the greatest respect to your views, I believe it is tantamount to business suicide in a climate of recession because to follow it through, as you have suggested, will mean that the operator that follows your suggested path will be through.

Just bear in mind that the Tornado is about to hit the neck of the woods where you and I come from. It will be interesting to canvass your views again in six month's time when the "eye" has arrived.

RocksnRoses

Occupation
If you read my post carefully you will see that I touched on your point of view and gave it creedence.

The problem with just taking your position in a recession is that sitting around doing nothing can cost the person serious psychological problems.
This is especially so as recessions often occur over several months if not years.

I do not agree that if you lower your charges that you then can't raise them again. I think your fee structure has to represent the economic climate otherwise you stand a good chance of being a forgotten non-entity.

The activity itself and being seen to be "operating " generates business, in most cases.

Being in business means that you are not on a set wage and one has to go with the flow both in times of prosperity as well as downturn.

With the greatest respect to your views, I believe it is tantamount to business suicide in a climate of recession because to follow it through, as you have suggested, will mean that the operator that follows your suggested path will be through.

Just bear in mind that the Tornado is about to hit the neck of the woods where you and I come from. It will be interesting to canvass your views again in six month's time when the "eye" has arrived.

G'day Aussie Nick,
Firstly, I wonder if you are speaking from the experience of having owned and run your own business in this field, or have you only been an employee, because this does make a big difference to this discussion. The practicality is that you can not keep running machines for lower rates when all your expenses are increasing. And believe me, the phsycological problems are much worse when you have monthly lease payments coupled with fuel bills, wages, maintenance bills and no money to pay them, because you have been working at a lower rate just for the sake of working or been seen to be working. If you just have lease payments they can often be re-negotiated until things improve.
In business you have to keep an open mind because there will always be recessions. It might mean scaling back and selling off some plant, which we have done at different times and I even hold the view that sometime in the future our business may become unsustainable for various reasons, but lowering the rate is not the answer. This is not only my view, but the views of various bank managers and accountants I have worked with over the years. It just means we have to get smarter or perhaps diversify in other areas.
I agree with you that things are going to get tough, but we have been through tougher times and I look forward to talking to you in six months time, but I can guarantee we will not be lowering our rates.

Rn'R.

Aussie Nick

Firstly, I wonder if you are speaking from the experience of having owned and run your own business in this field, or have you only been an employee, because this does make a big difference to this discussion.

My comments speak for themselves in answer to your query in this regard and I wouldn't be making them unless this was based on actual experience especially having survived one serious recession back in the early 90's.

The practicality is that you can not keep running machines for lower rates when all your expenses are increasing. And believe me, the phsycological problems are much worse when you have monthly lease payments coupled with fuel bills, wages, maintenance bills and no money to pay them, because you have been working at a lower rate just for the sake of working or been seen to be working. If you just have lease payments they can often be re-negotiated until things improve.

I agree...... and you would have seen this in my initial post on this thread.
However, If you sit at home waiting for the call to work which maybe months away you are not generating any income and the lease expenses continue. Granted you don't have the fuel and running expenses but, you are also going stale, fretting and worse of all there is no exposure to others that you are surviving and still operating as a going concern.

In business you have to keep an open mind because there will always be recessions. It might mean scaling back and selling off some plant, which we have done at different times and I even hold the view that sometime in the future our business may become unsustainable for various reasons, but lowering the rate is not the answer. This is not only my view, but the views of various bank managers and accountants I have worked with over the years. It just means we have to get smarter or perhaps diversify in other areas.Rn'R.[/QUOTE

I don't listen to bean counters or bank managers instead I try to rely on my own intelligence and experience. I think the worst mistake anyone can make is to act purely on the advice of the type of people you have referred to and I say that with good cause and justification,and to some extent I believe that you have yourself conceeded as much ,in regard to some bank managers you have encountered.

I agree with you that things are going to get tough, but we have been through tougher times and I look forward to talking to you in six months time, but I can guarantee we will not be lowering our rates.

Rn'R.[/QUOTE]

In respect of diversifying I say this : In a recession all industries take a dive. Some attempt to diversify into areas that they have no expertise or experience only to find that those areas too are already suffering or that there are so many trying to now break in that it becomes unsustainable or uneconomical. In relation to your contention that you have been through tougher times I say this:
A.We have a property bubble just like the US if not worse.
B.Most households are indebted up to their eyeballs.
C.Interest rates are high but not 21%,as they were under the world's "greatest treasurer".
D.Most of the manufacturing has moved off shore to one specific country to which we sell alot of our resources to.
E. The price of oil is at all time records and going anywhere but south.

Quite frankly Rocks I am a little bit concerned.

About your rates. Ok everybody has got to do what they got to do. I personally would prefer to keep my hand in as far as possible . If that means lowering my rates just to stay busy I prefer that than just sitting around .

Anyway, I hope you do not take this personally. I am merely expressing a point of view. I recognize that this type of debate is valuable to me as I hope it is to you and other members here. No-one has a monopoly on the truth.

By the way if you are interested I know where there are some cheap twenty tonners here...... probably. One of the major contractors has just gone under,however I wont be buying given what I smell in the wind.
Regards

Last edited:

RocksnRoses

Occupation
G'day again, Aussie Nick,
I have been knocking around the bush too long too let a slight difference of opinion get in the way of an interesting discussion. I respect your views, you obviously have very good reason to think that way as are my views which are based on past and sometimes bitter experiences. After reading your last post I was thinking that our backgrounds probably contribute to the different lines of thought, somewhat. I presume your background is metropolitan based, whereas my background is rural based. In the cities I can understand that you need exposure and you probably rarely work for the same people twice as well as competing with other contractors. In our situation 90% of our business is repeat business and we have worked for the same customers several times over many years, some on an annual basis. We also have very little competition in fact most of the contractors here tend to work in with each other if the neeed arises. Our viability relies more on the prices rural commodities are bringing than some of the factors you mention, although they do all have an effect. We also survived the late eighties, early nineties recession with the high interest rates (I am not quite sure how) and while there a lot of problems out there, I think it will be along time before we see interest rates back up to 21%.
By the way, I will pass on the twenty tonner offer, thanks anyway.

Rn'R.

busdrivernine

I had a guy pull up today in a tandem today looking for dirt. He then went on to tell me he was willing to hire out at $35/hr. :eek:

And I thought the rates were cheap here in North East Tx , they range anywhere from $45.00 per hr to a high of $60.00 ph

Cropduster

I have mixed feelings on this. The guy may need to make payments on his equipment, or taxes, or whatever. He could be someone who picked up the bobcat dirt cheap, has no bills at all, and does the digging on the side.

My rates are never lowered, you can pay me now, or pay me double when someone else clusters it up. But I am not hurting for work, don't know what I would do in that situation.

Noose

Occupation
O/O '98 378 Pete tandem dump ~~ '03 S185
It's cheaper to park your machine in a parking lot for advertising than to slash your rates.
How small is the skid steer? Maybe he's new?
SOmetimes though it can be instrumental in gaining a foot in the door of a new development. I've had many job leads just by being in the area, people come up and say can you check out this job. Sometimes its a 15 min. job for a min. callout of $? you make some money back.
This recession has two sides. There are the woe is me and panick because I grew to fast and made stupid business choices and there is the Hmm there is somebody in a panic trying to sell his unfinished house for cheap.
People up here were slow and aprehensive at the start of year, but now realize they get more out there house finished.

Dualie

I didn't read the whole thread but a VERY wise man once told me,

"you can go broke busting your A$$ just as quick as you can sitting on it"

That has stuck with me through the years. I will do any sort of work that theirs a profit in. If the numbers work then the numbers work. If im loosing money just to stay competitive or get busy work FORGET IT.

jmac

Good points, all of them, but you guys are talking about some guy running a dump for $35 an hour. My fuel cost $25 per hr so this guy won't make it ever. The point I would make is this, I do lower my price sometimes depending on how much work I have but never lower than every one else and never lower than what I think is a fair price. You have to know what your costs are and you have to know what you competitors are charging, not the guy that happens to own a dump truck or skid steer are what ever but the guy that has the same over head and expertise that you do. The expertise is worth something along with the quality of his or your company. I don't want to compete with anyone running a dump truck for $35/hr nor will I try. $75/hr is too cheap. I will however if I have to go from $100/hr for my dozer to $90/hr if that’s what it takes. Fortunately I never charge by the hour and charge by the day only once in a while. I quote the work as a package as much as possible unless the owner just doesn’t know what he wants so then by the day works for me. Most if not all my work needs more than one machine, or one person for that matter, so by the job to include everything needed complete the job.

Last edited:

xrlentau6

Occupation
Desk bound and needing to get outside
Will add my 20 cents worth for what its worth.

As some will know have only been running for about a year now and I dont plan on dropping rates if things get tough. Is easy to say as seems there is more work around than I/ we can keep up with. Am often told by a customer that they had someone else lined up to do the job but they didnt turn up.

Am also told that I am $10 an hour dearer than others in the area, or my quotes come in $100 more.

They still pay and at the end of the job they are happy, and call me back next time.

This is not a real metro area here and I believe that you charge a fair rate and do a job to the standard you would do on your own house.

If you can sleep at night then you are not charging to much. These things cost a lot to keep running.

JDOFMEMI

A guy with a machine that normally goes for $100 per hr and drops his rate to $90 or even $80 to stay busy is one thing. The one thats out trying to find work for the same machine at $50 is desperate, and about to go out of business. In the process, he hurts all the other legitimate contractors by making the customer think we can all make $$ at $50 so why should they pay more. By the time he goes under, the rest in that market will suffer.

I will hold rates as long as I can get work, but if you have to discount a little to get work, I will cut back expenses and keep making the payments that come every month like insurance and machine payments.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
I didn't read the whole thread but a VERY wise man once told me,

"you can go broke busting your A$$ just as quick as you can sitting on it"

And a very wise man ( father in law, god rest his soul ) said " any fool can work for nothing"

A very intresting thread, glad it is being kept civil despite quite different points of view. :thumbsup

SKOAL

well you never know how much hes into his business for he could be a weekend warrior you know one of those state workers who wants to run a side bus maybe he thinks 50 hr is great because he has no other costs and is runnin gypsy. or he gets to the job and starts throwing in extras there s so many varibles. the problem is people get it in there head thats the price it should be. I personally would go to work for someone before id make 150 to drive my stuff to somones job hell rates are 140 with 2 hour min to move my bigger stuff