• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How long will a D4D run without oil?

lantraxco

I used to have a left handed crescent wrench. Really. The adjuster worked backward to every other adjustable I owned,. drove me nuts, lol :tong

tctractors

It would seem that some people love to cause troubles,as for picking on Nige who is about as good as it gets at his Trade takes some understanding, credit to the Man (Nige) he has been off the clock helping myself and many other members of this Forum, I feel sure a little D4 would NOT make him struggle, anyhow Bluox for those that dont know is an engine brake/retarder so it might be fitting to keep the crap brakes on or pick on someone that is a bit more of a Dog like me?
On this engine oil issue I was expecting someone to post the fact about the rack control lock pin that needs oil pressure to lift allowing full movement of the rack (scroll) anyhow this thread has lost its steam some due to someone talking through their seat area.

tctractors
p.s. little D4's are no trouble for me.

JBGASH

Bluox, This statement is an INSULT to Nige, he has spent countless hours to help anyone with issues on this forum, from providing parts breakdowns and excellent information & advice on many pieces of heavy equipment. You OWE HIM AN APOLOGY, so man up and do it..
Ken, it's not you its Nige,he's one of those wanabe experts who makes things up.I'll bet he's never seen a D-4.
Bob

wbvs58

It would seem that some people love to cause troubles,as for picking on Nige who is about as good as it gets at his Trade takes some understanding, credit to the Man (Nige) he has been off the clock helping myself and many other members of this Forum, I feel sure a little D4 would NOT make him struggle, anyhow Bluox for those that dont know is an engine brake/retarder so it might be fitting to keep the crap brakes on or pick on someone that is a bit more of a Dog like me?
On this engine oil issue I was expecting someone to post the fact about the rack control lock pin that needs oil pressure to lift allowing full movement of the rack (scroll) anyhow this thread has lost its steam some due to someone talking through their seat area.

tctractors
p.s. little D4's are no trouble for me.

Hey tctractors, what is this rack control lock pin? And what is he significance with running without oil?
Thanks, Ken

tctractors

Ken, its a simple device that will not let the fuel rack to travel above the low idle spot until the oil pressure is above a pre-set psi, if the oil pressure drops below this pre-set spot even if the engine has been running at full speed on the next movement of the fuel control rack (throttle) it will peg up the rack in the low idle position,D8'sand 9's run at around the 30 psi spot, the 33oC and 3306 will run O.K. without damage in the low 20's psi, the oil pump on the 3304-6 has a pressure control valve built of hard domed washers, these washers are known to crack resulting in the oil pressure dropping quickly to usualy just above the 20psi spot, I have known Turbo D6's to suffer this sudden drop on the gauge and continue to work hard for some months without spitting the dummy out, on pulling the engine down I have found no damage to the engine innards and just simply fitted a spare prv to the oil pump, and checked out the oil filter head valves (alloy filter head)

hope this helps some. tctractors

Old Magnet

Hi tc,
I'm finding the 82J3810 uses the sleeve metering pump on its 3304. No low oil pressure stop pin that I am aware of. Good point on the oil pump prv spring washers.

tctractors

As always O.M. on this rock we never see 82J chariots, the U.S. built D4/5/6/8 tractors are not the common thing to find (rare) I did put in the Scroll thing just in case Bluox was on my case??? I have probably 500 CAT parts books going back to the early iron 5 ton, Sixty etc upto the High Drives but nothing to much on the Non European D series tractors as we just dont see them, I would have about 100+ CAT service books and product change sheets from the 50's through to 80's plus about everything from filters through to track group and service tool books, but stuff on U.S. built tack in this zone 0, so I cannot check out things simply.

tctractors

Old Magnet

Hi tc,
This might be a handy chart for you.

Attachments

• Foreign-Models-#1.jpg
    Foreign-Models-#1.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 134
  • Foreign-Models-#2.jpg
    Foreign-Models-#2.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 130