• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How far are u willing to travel for jobs now-a-days ??

topdigger

Occupation
excavation buisness owner
Howdy All, Been lurking around here and learning all I can from you guys. Usually I try to stay within 20 miles of home. But I'll go as far as the customer is willing to pay.

John

Glad to have another fellow missourian on here welcome. I try to stay within about 35 to 40 miles but like the others will go where the work is but not for free. :D

excav8r

Occupation
Equipment Operator
At This stage of the game i will pretty much go anywhere where there is work to be had. right now i'm driving 120kms each way to work and when my regular job starts up it usually goes down to about 60-90k on average each way. not to bad of a drive really and i like the travel time in the morning to get my first timmies coffee into me and wake up.
I guess thats the price you pay to live in the country. well worth it

milling_drum

Occupation
asphalt mill operator (ret)
Well since I'm the only wierdo on this website that actually travels...

That last Job I was on in Lousiana, the GC Phillips and Jorden are from North Carolina/Florida. The trucks were from all over the place including Nevada, Idaho, Arizona, Utah. Most were from florida.

The Job I'm currently on in South Carolina, the GC is from Iowa, alot of the supts/operators are from Illinios/Iowa area. Lots from Georgia because the GC has operations there as well. Hardly any locals on either of these two jobs mentioned here.

That means I must live in an entirely different world from the rest of folks:)

diggerdave1958

Well, Milling drum i wish i could see the country like u are and getting paid for it too.

N.B. CONCRETE that must be a pretty big job u have going there

tylermckee

farthest i have had to drive in the last 5 years is about 10 miles, round trip. usually takes me about ~5 minutes to get to our job sites.

reaper020

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
i am going to be traveling 2 hours there and 2 back not happy doing it again for the second year without travel or live out but what can you do in this econamy. will have to keep looking for something more local

412neal

Occupation
excavating contractor
I try to stay within a 50 mile radius , but the last two years have been brutal ,I had to sell some equipment and trucks to stay afloat , of coarse I found a surprise in my divorce that really hit me in the wallet also . April was a great month as far as bidding and I now have work for approx. 6 weeks bad for this time of year I know but way better than the last two years , everyone I talked too ,at least locally (Pittsburgh ,Pa. )seems to think things are picking up a little , I just bid a job in State College , Pa. , never thought I would go that far but it is what it is and the bills need paid ,hey Big Ben is out of work maybe he would like to invest in a small construction company ? on second thought too much baggage there

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
just got a small job and it's 90 ea way :( better than the couch! Just added some bucks for travel but not tons of money.

du5tyl

Last year, I took a 6 month job 1000 miles from home (flew home once per month). I think with the way things are right now, we go were the work is - we do what we must to support our families.

diggerdave1958

Hey, du5tyl i know what u mean about doing what we have to do to support our families, i have had to take a job at one of the Big Box stores, part-time on the weekend and i do what little jobs i am able to get on the weekdays and it helps with the bills and lets me keep from dipping into the saving for awhile at least, hope things get better soon, but i doubt that will happen soon enought for me.

412neal

Occupation
excavating contractor
Hey, du5tyl i know what u mean about doing what we have to do to support our families, i have had to take a job at one of the Big Box stores, part-time on the weekend and i do what little jobs i am able to get on the weekdays and it helps with the bills and lets me keep from dipping into the saving for awhile at least, hope things get better soon, but i doubt that will happen soon enought for me.

Diggerdave , keep the faith , i took a job at a cemetery the last couple of years over the winter sold a backhoe,2 trucks , a trailer and skid steer to get through had 2 full time guys I had to let go , this was the last year for me , even an average year and I would have went under , I maxed all my credit lines sold everything I could sell but for me at least I got slammed this year , and we all know that can change but I really think things are turning around SLOW but turning around , we do this work because we love it ( at least I do) I quit college(straight A student) to run equipment and I had a professor try to talk me out of it by saying "when you're 50 you won't want to be digging ditches any more" well I'm 52 and I still it love somedays the back is hurting the stress gets to me a little more and I curse a lot more but GOD willing I will still love it at 62 ,so keep the fatih it WILL turn around

Blue Collar

our yard is 80 miles from my house and we cover all of indiana, illinois, kentucky, and western ohio pretty much out of town all work season long. maybe make it home 30 hours a week. hard on family life but not bad if your a single guy like me

diggerdave1958

Thanks, 412neal, i am 52 also and you are right about loving this life, back in 1977 right out of high school i purchased a John Deere 300B TLB and have been doing this ever since, I did work on and off for my Father he owned a Ready-Mix Concrete Plant and he sold out in 2001 when the getting out was still good. but here in Michigan things are NOT going to well now but the phone is still ringing and i DO NOT trun anything down can't be picky these days.