• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How do you figure?

dobronos

Was talking to a guy about his construction business. He tells me he started a project excavating for a pool that was supposed to be an easy 3 day job. 2nd day in he hits rock and thinks it'll take 2-3 weeks to break up rock and finish it. How does he figure price for this? I assume he gave a quote based on what he thought would take 3 days? Does he just finish it, and take the loss because of the extra time it took to complete? I'm just curious how you guys handle situations like this in the field.. - Mike

maddog

Machine is running, it cost $$$$$, when playing in dirt not all things can be seen. A good contractor will explain this and hopefully a good customer will understand. Not long ago there was a story on the TV that showed folks having a pool dug. Long story short, they ended up with a big hole full of garbage and permit was revoked for the pool. Years back someone had used garbage for fill and then covered it.

Oxbow

Two words, "Rock Clause". Although he may have been working under a verbal agreement.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
We always had obstruction clauses in the contract that pretty much covered anything out of the ordinary. One time we hit some old Orangeberg (sewer pipe made from rolled tarpaper in the 1920s) on a hospital project and had to chase it for 100s of feet all over the 27 acre property as the authorities required it to be removed. Good thing we had an obstruction clause.

Jim D

Occupation
equipment operator
Yes, old iron habit, no contract without an obstruction clause, or equivalent contingency clause.

movindirt

Was talking to a guy about his construction business. He tells me he started a project excavating for a pool that was supposed to be an easy 3 day job. 2nd day in he hits rock and thinks it'll take 2-3 weeks to break up rock and finish it. How does he figure price for this? I assume he gave a quote based on what he thought would take 3 days? Does he just finish it, and take the loss because of the extra time it took to complete? I'm just curious how you guys handle situations like this in the field.. - Mike

Would this guy happen to be in Hawaii?