• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How do I turn on continuous flow Cat 279C???

Occupation
Driver
Machine is a 2010 Caterpillar 279C with hi-flow.

I rented a 72" low-flow brush cutter that I need to return July 5th in the morning. Works great when I keep my thumb on the right joy stick wheel, but that gets very tiresome because I can't figure out how to get continuous flow to activate????

Picture of my joysticks and switches if someone can help me out before returning brush cutter.
I've searched but to no avail. 20180528_170748.jpg 20180528_170802.jpg 20180528_170748.jpg 20180528_170802.jpg 20180528_170716.jpg

Occupation
Driver
I've watched that video numerous times and tried it, but didn't work. I'm thinking one of the switches overhead needs to be turned on.

Occupation
Driver
Ok after reading pages 75 through about 79, I will try the buttons on the right joystick instead of the thumb wheel tomorrow.

Theweldor

Occupation
The Village Idiot
I believe you have to roll the thumb wheel and then push the button on the left joy stick. Because you have the option of which way your attachment rotates.

Occupation
Driver
I believe you have to roll the thumb wheel and then push the button on the left joy stick. Because you have the option of which way your attachment rotates.

I've done that, and yes you are correct about option of blade rotation.
I know it's something stupid that I am doing! I will be trying it again in about 1/2 an hour

Occupation
Driver
I got it!!
Basically 4 part step quickly.
1) Roll thumb wheel on right joystick (forward or backward depending on if you want your attachment to run clockwise or counterclockwise ) and hold it.
2) Push lower outside left button on left joystick, and hold it.
3) Release wheel on right joystick.
4) Release button on left joystick.
Do all 4 steps quickly and there you have it.

I was taking way to long between each step before.

Thanks guys for your help!

Theweldor

Occupation
The Village Idiot
There are about six different patterns that are used on almost every machine. Why so many is because the Manufacturers have their head up their ass and can't use a common pattern. Somewhere I have a print out of all the patterns used. I will have to see if I can find it and post it here. I just fix'em and most of the time can't remember what has to be done.

Reactions: 277

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Doesn't matter what pattern you choose. When ever it gets to a customer it is alway wrong. I used to install a lot of attachments on excavators. One guy wants a pistol grip, the next was a top mounted rocker switch and another wants a Sure Grip button top handle. This guy wants the trigger to open the thumb and the next operator wants it to close the thumb. Another operator gets in and wants the controls on the left hand. You get it put together the way that the most people feel comfortable with it and some safety idiot shows up and shuts down the machine for some off the wall BS. Real operators learned to make the machine work no matter the controls.

Really, it isn't a designer problem.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
i found this site on the net. could you possible maybe answer a few questions i have with my 287b xps. i would greatly appreciate it. thanks
If it's a technical question then the first information that you need to post is your machine Serial Number.

Closely followed by whether or not you have an Operation & Maintenance Manual for it. It ought to live in the pocket behind the seat but may have gone AWOL before you got the machine. Everything regarding operation & basic maintenance tasks is covered in that manual.

steve hodge

If it's a technical question then the first information that you need to post is your machine Serial Number.

Closely followed by whether or not you have an Operation & Maintenance Manual for it. It ought to live in the pocket behind the seat but may have gone AWOL before you got the machine. Everything regarding operation & basic maintenance tasks is covered in that manual.

it is a tech question, my # is bjzsa02062. ive tried getting contentious flow to work, read manual, watched videos. seems there's different ways. ran across this site where member ianjoub wrote he and a 287 and responded to memebr 277 how he does his(see below) to someone else. the book didn't match what he said he did. going to try today that way. also having trouble greeting in float mode. any help would be appreciated.

Basically 4 part step quickly.
1) Roll thumb wheel on right joystick (forward or backward depending on if you want your attachment to run clockwise or counterclockwise ) and hold it.
2) Push lower outside left button on left joystick, and hold it.
3) Release wheel on right joystick.
4) Release button on left joystick.
Do all 4 steps quickly and there you have it.

ianjoub

so is yours a xps like mine. having trouble getting in float mode. going to try the contentious flow set up you committed on how your works, also i read what the toggles are for but not quite understand.
I no longer have it. It was an XPS. I never tried float, so I am no help there.

steve hodge

I am willing to try!
IMG_20220224_184046.jpg
so just tried what you said works for yours. didn't work. soon as you let off the roller the blades on the brush cutter stop. ive watched different videos and there all different. cat is 1 1/2 hours away and charge 600 to come here. also i read the book about the toggles and what there for. but still am a little confused what are these toggles for. ive tried to find someone that i could pay to come show me how to use the buttons on the joysticks and the float on the bucket, with no luck. most people have bobcats close to me.

Attachments

• IMG_20220224_184053.jpg
    IMG_20220224_184053.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220224_184046.jpg
    IMG_20220224_184046.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20220224_184053.jpg
    IMG_20220224_184053.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 6