• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How did YOU became an operator?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I remember the first hearing protection we were offered
Almost worthless so bought my own earmuffs
Was necessity when looking at exhaust ports on engines at high throttle trying to find the oil using cylinder
Then as noted screeching dry pin rails
Open station work
Trucks or equipment no mufflers short stacks no A/C and little insulation in the cabs to start with
Worst truck I drove 1976 White conventional Velvet Ride tandem
Had to remember to take a box of rags on winter to stuff in the holes to get enough heat to defro

DirtyFrenchy

Started as a labourer, said I knew how to operate a bobcat skidsteer when I didn't, figured it out (job was alone on 5 acres cleaning up contaminated dirt). Eventually got shown to run a telehandler to bring steel into the shop. Got my class 3 to drive fuel trucks on the airport. Eventually made my way into a mini ex and a 950 loader cause there was no one else with "machinery experience", which led to bigger machines in time. Still not a dream team operator but...

I'd highly recommend getting your class 1/3/commercial drivers, helps to get jobs especially as an operator. Also where there's trucks here's often equipment not too far.

Another tip would be to watch good operators in action, where's their bucket,blade etc. How are they accomplishing the task. If you don't know,ask!!! Took me too long to do that last one. Don't be afraid to hop out of the machine and help on the goon spoon too. Best of luck

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
It was 1966 and I was 14. I started poking chokers behind a Cat operated by my uncle. It was a WW II surplus D7 with a Carco arch behind it and two 1-1/4 x 40 chokers. My 16 year old cousin worked behind the other D7 with the same set up, within the week, we were both running Cat and setting our own chokers. When we finished up that setting, we went to work pioneering logging road. I learned to grade with a cable blade. That served me well; small bites and don’t mess with the blade so much. (Changing a blade cable by yourself that you broke educates you quick.) My uncle was running shovel loading logs. Later that summer he broke me in on a 1954 KW with a 4X4 and a 220 Cummins straight stack with 12’ bunks and 8’ stakes. A 5 mile haul to the sort yard. I was in 7th heaven by the end of summer. My uncle supplemented the work ethic my Dad had taught me: Nothing was fast enough and criticism was always done at full volume and with interesting “magic words.” What a summer. I remember wages that summer were $1.15/hour.

BTW, two other things I learned that summer; don’t drink too much beer, you get sick. And, avoid bar fights. I got drunk once in my life, it was that summer and saw a bar fight through the former window of the bar, what an education.

Try that a 14 these days, it was not just a different era, but the end of an era.

Later I went on to spend 40 years as a electrician building all sorts of facilities throughout the Northwest. But that summer and the summers following stuck with me.

boaterri

Occupation
Retired Television Engineer
I learned the "odd" way. I am a TV Engineer and on one show per year that I work we are near the John Deere test facility. Deere puts on a "play day" that the crew are included in the invitation. They set up 6 excavators of various sizes, 3 dozers of various sizes, 3 wheel loaders of various sizes and an ATD. Each machine has an instructor/operator with it, they give you the basics and if you show any aptitude, tell you to "have fun". As long as there is no line you can stay on the machine as long as you want. They also had 3 mini excavators set up as skills challenges. Pick up a ball off a road cone and drop it in a trash can, pick up a hula-hoop and hang it on a rebar "T" etc. By my 4th visit the instructor/operators on the skills challenges offered to go for coffee and let me run the activity.

These visits confirmed something I had known for years, I was in the wrong business. 2 years from retirement I bought an older JD 450C track loader with a back hoe attachment. I would not use the honorific of "operator" yet, "apprentice operator" or "junior operator" maybe. Having a ball and learning. I retire this year and will continue to "play" with my machine on projects around the house and neighborhood.

Rick

TimT

Occupation
Heavy Construction driver/operator
All good advice.... Nowadays any young person not afraid of dirty, hot, muddy..just plain hard work and is truly interested in heavy equipment will be in demand big time. It might take time, but show up, work hard, show interest in the work/job. Ask questions, be willing to pitch in when you don't have to, "help an old crusty operator shovel tracks" and let it be known what you want to do..operate equipment and chances are you made a freind. Almost a sure thing you will get a chance. It will not be a D-11 or a 500 ton crane right away.. that might take years.. but it will happen. The only way I have ever seen young people get on heavy stuff off the bat is in a boom town mining area.. they will try to make a haul truck driver out of a young person with any farm or woods background. Training or schools sure won't hurt.. anything mechanical.. and yes, get a CDL anyway you can. Trucks will often lead to operating jobs. Anyplace from mines to landfills its the same story. You should try to not only learn to operate, but to understand how the machines work and function and how to fix things. Some of the very best operators start out as laborers... they learn the whole job that way. A hard working young person is worth there weight in gold in the trades nowadays.

cdm123

It was back in the seventy's, dad said go start the backhoe and wait for me. When he showed up I said now what? He said dig a hole, I asked what did what and he said figger it out. He came back in a bit looked at it and said filler in and bring the loader back to the shop. When I got there he told me "when your operating you get $7 an hour". which was a $2 raise over what I made fixing so I spent any time I could on it. Was an old case 530 gas with next to no breaks, if you had to stop in a hurry you dropped a bucket lol.

Vincent_McNeely

I took a heavy equipment course in college along with surveying, got a job leveling land which is big in our valley, making big money $3.25 LOL, June 1974 Studying has been an interesting journey for me. It's full of challenges and late-night sessions, trying to grasp complex concepts. The biggest struggle I've faced is balancing my studies with other commitments. It's a constant battle to find time for everything. To improve my grades and make studying more engaging, I turned to StoryboardThat. Recently, I came across their Solar System Worksheets which delve into intriguing topics about space and planets. You can explore these resources here: Explore Now. These worksheets have been a game-changer in my studies. They make learning about space and planets captivating and educational. The interactive format and visuals are not only fun but also incredibly informative. If you're keen on expanding your knowledge in these areas, StoryboardThat's Space and Planets Worksheets are worth exploring. They've certainly enriched my understanding of the cosmos!
It's great to hear about your college experience and early career in heavy equipment and surveying! The job market and wages have certainly evolved over the years. If you have more stories or insights to share from your career or educational journey, feel free to do so. It can be inspiring and informative for others, especially those who might be considering similar paths.

Tyler d4c

I can somewhat pull sticks. After about 2 hours of it my attention span turns to finding something more not boring. Watching my dad and uncle run equipment pretty much killed it for me. I'd much rather fix the stuff then run it

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Above spammer at post #27 has been booted, but I couldn't remove their post as it seems two member responded to that post. Again, please don't respond to spammers, report the posts instead so mods can wipe their posts clean.

Last edited: