• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How bad is this?

Spangles

Apparently, operator said pin fell off and it was not noticed till this happened. Does not make much sense to me as explanation but anyway, is there a doctor here who can tell me how bad it is and if there's a fix or I need to replace the whole section?

Thanks

IMG_1117.jpg

IMG_1118.jpg

lantraxco

Can't see much from those pictures, but it looks repairable. Might need a new pin. More pics? What machine is it?

lumberjack

Looks like bent ears on the dipper mount. Is it cast or a weldment? Looks to be a weldment which should make repair practical.

Spangles

Sorry for the late reply. I'll snap some more pics and post tomorrow.
lumberjack Indeed it is one side of the ear that's bent outwards. There's a thick seam of weld around the ears so yes it's a weldment. Is it a case of using the angle gringer to get the weld seam off and the ears should come off clean? Any suggestion how to bend it back straight without causing stress fatigue to the metal?

maddog : Operator has been fired. If I had my way, he'd be off with an imprint of my boots on his backside.

From the parts diagram, it's where the pin (8) connects on the boom (1)
Lantraxco : The machine is a volvo Bl71 yr 2004
resize.jpg

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
No offence but post some better photos of the damage and I'm sure there'll be people queueing up to help you out with a procedure to sort it out. If as you say the "ear" is welded on it shouldn't be too difficult (that doesn't mean cheap though) to sort............

My first thought looking at your Parts Manual diagram is to pull the stick off the machine and then use the ear on the "good" side plus a hollow hydraulic cylinder, a long drawbolt maybe 1-1/2" in diameter, a couple of large plates, & nuts/washers, etc. Heat the bent ear then apply power to the jack and you would more than likely pull the damaged ear back into place without too much trouble. When that's done the ID of the ear will need machining, then buildiing up with weld, and finally machined back to size and parallel to the other side so that the pin will line up and install.

lumberjack

How thick is the ear? A heavy sledge and rosebud looks like it could square it away. The pin doesn't rotate through the eye, it's captured.

lantraxco

Yes, without a better view of it, I'd heat, beat and hope for the best. That's the woods fix, for us poor guys on the Oregon coast. I WOULD buy or have made a new pin. The old one is most likely bent, and if not very well could have some internal fracturing from the twisting it took to bend that steel ear that far. OH! and have a real close look at the dipper stick cylinder rod on top there, they're designed to travel straight in and out, very little room for moving sideways. Could have a serious bend in the cylinder rod and/or a problem where the eye is welded to the rod.

:my2c

bigboytoy

Occupation
retired Pipe fitter
operator was doing the swing and slam...what a bone head....heating and bending back will not be as strong as it once was...but I would say that's OK this was abnormal abuse ..it will be OK for a normal operator..new pin just so its straight ..I guess its possible the straight side slipped out and it was hanging on one ear then cylinder actuated to bend it, better check pins on cylinder they may be bent too as it went cockeyed.

Spangles

ok finally was able to go to workshop to take a few more pics.

Hopefully these will give you a better idea of the damage.

bottom view other side gap.jpg

bottom view.jpg

close up.jpg

other side.jpg

side view.jpg

Nige

Was the securing bolt for the pin flag replaced after the incident..? If that's the original bolt in your last photo then that joint was subjected to some major abuse and overstressing. It's one thing for a pin to come out if the locking mechanism (the bolt) fails or unscrews, another thing completely if the bolt is still there and apparently tight if the photo is to be believed.

OK, having seen those pictures my advice as before stands. But I am now SURE it will need machining in order to get a true line between the bores of the two "ears" after the bent one has been heated and straightened so that the pin will go back in correctly because maybe the problem was caused by a combination of slop in the bore of the ear that bent combined with mal-operation. There are other "bush engineering" ways of solving this problem but reboring is the only 100% correct way AFAIK.

As others have suggested the pin should be replaced as it is likely slightly bent from the incident. Also check the cylinder rod end pin (No. 11 in your parts illustration) for straightness and replace if found bent.

Spangles

Eagle eye Nige. I'm impressed - the bolt is indeed tight. Mechanic finally spilled out the beans. Operator did not grease the points as he should and the pin came out while he was still digging. He did not notice (blind idiot) and kept digging till where the eye is welded to the rod snapped. He panicked, called the grease monkey who put the pin back and welded the eye back to the rod.

Nige

At least you got to the bottom of how it happened. I hadn't thought about lack of grease TBH seeing as there was shed-loads of grease around the pin in your first photos. This is something at least - not knowing how something failed is always worrying because you're at a loss how to go about preventing it failing again.

On top of my recommendations above it's also going to need a new bush in the stick as well - the one that was run without grease is bound to be goofed. Hearing the story of "How it got broke in the frist place" the pin that's had the flag welded back on it is also junk.

Spangles

ID of the ear will need machining, then buildiing up with weld, and finally machined back to size and parallel to the other side so that the pin will line up and install.
Surprisingly, no one got the equipment or knowhow here how to do the above. Did I mention I setup shop in a banana republic where the local volvo dealer/car dealer only imports backhoes and no spare parts/fitter service? Yes, I've tried to reason with them already but they are really not interested. Hmmm should have stayed in uk...oh well too late now already neck deep in it so might as well swim rather than stay put and sink.
Emailed a breaker in south africa for the parts(boom, cylinder, bushings, pins, scraper) and hopefully it's not going to be out of my budget. If it is...then i'm afraid I won't have much choice other than buy new pins only and have the bent fork straightened.