• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hough h90e-engine problems

GEORGES

Occupation
USED GOLF MOWERS
HY FRIENDS ! I LOVE BIG AMERICAN LOADERS;AND I BOUGHT A PROJECT: AN OLD HOUGH IH90E'78year WITH ENGINE PROBLEMS: WATER AND OIL MIXED THEM, THE PRECEDENT OWNER TELLS ME THERE'S AN OIL/WATER EXCHANGER TO THE SIDE OF ENGINE AND THE SCREWS WERE MISSING. THE PUMP INJECTION HAS PROBLEM(NOT SO DIFFICULT TO REPAIR IN A BOSCH CENTER) BUT I AM IN FRANCE, AND HERE THERE'S NO INFORMATOINS FOR THESE ENGINES;DOES SOMEONE KNOWS THIS PROBLEM,AND DOES ANYONE HAS A MANUAL FOR A DVT 573 ENGINE TO SALE OR WHERE TO FIND ONE? IT WILL BE GREAT.THANKS !

jakesdad

first I would check the oil/water exchanger. if it checks out OK. Pull the oil pan off and put about 15 pounds pressure in the radiator then check the sleeves for leaks. that should give you a good idea what is the problem. good luck!

GEORGES

Occupation
USED GOLF MOWERS
Thanks for instructions, that's what i will do after repairing the injection pump first, which is not good also.For Chance, it4s a Bosch pump easely repairable.For the exchanger, Iask some people who re-built radiators and he tells me it's repairableor they close one of the tube who leaks

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
That is an International engine, not a Detroit.

The 573 is a V8 direct injected diesel engine. They have not been manufacutured in years and used ones have mostly hit the scrap heap. That engine barely fit inside the frame rails of those loaders. I remember having to take out the engine mount bolts and lifting the engine up three or four inches just to change the starter. I don't know if any other engine would work in that machine or not.

Good Luck!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I remember having to take out the engine mount bolts and lifting the engine up three or four inches just to change the starter.

Your being a gentleman, John...you didn't mention all the curse words you used during the procedure. :D :notworthy

GEORGES

Occupation
USED GOLF MOWERS
Already change the injection pump,(i found one used but in good condition and very cheap) i put all in service(oil,...) and turn the key on: it runs great!... BUT, (theres a "but" in interessting stories...)the coolant disapears and get down in the cranckcase...2gal. for 10 minutes, oil changes to cream. First i open the oil drain to evacuate all that butter durig it4s hot.Then I decide to proof the exchanger : he is good. So i decide to open the cylinders heads to change gasket,and to see and proof if bores are not leaking out of their foot, theres a gasket around the bore base.For information, a cyl.head gasket kit costs 800euros in Europe(more of 1000§!!!!) I start this work at evening, so i stopped before opening . but i tryed a thing: close the coolant circuit out of cooler,and put an inflate valve on a hose with reduction home made,to put pressure (air) in the circuit. So i can hear on the middle of the left block of cylinders air which makes "Pschhhh..." so if anyone has had this problem help will be great.How to proof bores ?(i think put gasoline in the place of the water around the bore and see if level goes down.I hope it's the gasket of cylinder head,otherwise i'm in a big **** to repair the bores not evident when engine is in place...During my investigations for this loader, i found another engine DVT573-B but with two differences: turbocharger is not the same(bigger and near the exhaust collectors where they join,and another injection pump of "V-type" like the engine. And mine is a 8 line pump, and turbo is a Garett smaller placed over the engine.What differences ? Mine is a '78year H90e with V8 IH. Photos of the hearth operation and this marvellous loader next coming...Goodbye friends!

jakesdad

Hi Georges does this engine have removable cylinder sleeves? It could be the seals around the sleeves. Or a cracked one.

GEORGES

Occupation
USED GOLF MOWERS
Hi Jakesdad, yes, it's removable sleeves which have at the base 3 O-Ring gaskets. I have remove the engine from loader and open (cranckase, rods,pistons ) and tomorrow i 'll had to made an hidraulic mount to remove the sleeves. Sleeves and bores are in good condition, not so used(8000hours) and no cracked .just when i try to proof the block,with metal plates on water circuit enters and exhaust,home made to close the water circuit,also big rivets on the place of the cylinder head water holes in the bloc(more of 5 hours to made this...) and i proof wih air on pressure and next fill half with water with blue leak tracer, i found all around the base of the sleeve in the oil compartiment , blu water who leaks.Theres also lot of rust at the base of the sleeves,,and when i remove sleeves i will clean it well and gonna applicate a primer, 2components,acid and marine resistant by DuPont De Nemours(high quality paint and coating products) to stop rust who destroys the gaskets.Big work.More of 50 hours at this day.Not changes me of my current work:Repairing golf course mowers Toro, Jacobsen,Ransomes,but with little Kubota engines which are easier to repair than a V8 turbo IH...

jakesdad

I had a 855 cummins engine one time it had cracked sleeve but you could not see it with your eyes.Check them very closely!

GEORGES

Occupation
USED GOLF MOWERS
Yes, we have to be carefull with sleeves,but here water does not go in the cylinder during firing,otherwise it will be a white smoke on exhaust.When we remove the sleeves, the 3base gaskets were totally destroyed by rust,cause of using wtr instead of coolant.so i think to proof them very easily: use mehylene blue powder mixed in oil,in the sleeve ,heat them to 200°Celsius and inspect any blue trace outside,spraying lightly gasoline around them to detect any light methylene blue outside the sleeve.This product is very good in this use, were used by Renault trucks in the middle'80s to proof engine blockswhen they are new in the factory.

jakesdad

You should check the outside of the sleeves. It maybe ok. If the sleeves or pitted from the water you still might want to replace them.If the o-rings are bad the sleeves maybe on the egde of leaking.

GEORGES

Occupation
USED GOLF MOWERS
Hi, Jakesdad,I have to change all my sleeves and also pistons, water goes into the sleeve through the pitting holes...

Bayou Cat

I have an H90E with a Detriot 8V71 in it was about the same size and width was not a bad change over but is lacking in torque in my opinion. As for changing the starter I have done it many times without lifting the engine but it is a demanding job. I use this machine only around the farm now but when it was newer it would out push a cat 966D.

flipit

Ive got a friend of mine has a completely rebuilt dvt 573 a he rebuilt for a customer 2years ago that couldnt afford to pay for it. complete rebuild except for the fuel system. New piston, sleeves, bearings, seals, reground crankshaft you name it. came out of a Hough 90c or a International 270 scraper. Hes got over 7k in it but would like to get something back for it. email me ill get you in touch *mailforcollins@gmail.com*

GEORGES

Occupation
USED GOLF MOWERS
View attachment 012 - Copie.JPG013.JPG

Hello Everyone,
After Total rebuilt, and Good working(I cleaned up over 800 cubic Meters bad earth, last summer, the H90 shows it is an old Machine.Powerfull machine, but some leaks overall on hydraulic hoses at heat,so I have to complete with 5 gallons per day(20 liters approx) of hydraulic oil.
This Winter, we have some people who were interested in this loader.For a good price for me!So i sold it...
It was a pain, but a liberation, cause of lot working and maintenance.
So, i have a little "Zettelmeyer 602 B",weigts 6 ton, but too little for hard .
So i decide to find another one.
Particulary loving IHC and Dresser products, i have to visit a 545 loader next week,with 250hp Mercedes engine and 4,5 m3 bucket.It's a 89 year,11000 hours,says runs good and fine hydraulic, but paint and tyres are no good.
I also found a Michigan L125C,86 year,in Holland,in poor exterior condition,without brakes,but affraid about Torque converter and pumps driven, offen it is a problem on this loader,found another 125C near me, but don't move at all.So little hard for carrying...:)