• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hough 65C Hydraulic whine

JTWAT

My loader has a loud whine in the hydraulics when I lift the bucket. Bucket tilt does no make noise, only lifting.
Any ideas? Oil is full, new filters and pump rebuilt.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Is it a gearpump or a load sencepump?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Hough liked to use Vickers vane pumps on many, but did have some gear pump on the newest ones we had but they were all much bigger machines than this one.

One thing I would check for is a suction leak.

JTWAT

Yes it has the Vickers double vane pump on it. The main inlet pipe runs directly off the bottom of the reservoir.
The power steering pump also is fed directly from the reservoir, and both pumps feed a demand valve.
I don't have any leaks in that area so don't think I can be sucking air. Reservoir is also holding a slight bit of pressure.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
If you steer at the same time as lifting the boom does the sound change?

JTWAT

Yes it does. I also have a problem with the boom lift control sticking in the up position.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
It sounds like something stuck somewhere around the boom lift spool in the valve. Why did you rebuild the pump?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Yes it does. I also have a problem with the boom lift control sticking in the up position.
I'm going to assume you are just not referring to the normal detente position of the control valve?

does this sticking also occur with engine off if you pull the lever back?

JTWAT

I'm going to assume you are just not referring to the normal detente position of the control valve?

does this sticking also occur with engine off if you pull the lever back?
Ill check that in the morning. I am thinking there is a problem in Demand Valve and Control Valve,

JTWAT

Lever does not stick with engine off. Only when raising boom running. Ill pull top off of hyd tank and check for oil movement and filters.