• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hough 50 C - I maybe crazy!

Batkom

I don’t work on my machines outdoors!! Even in the summer!
I am fortunate to have a shop at home heated and AC that I can get this into , as well as my excavator, when I need to work on them.
If it doesn’t fit at my home shop, or need more room, I take it to my actually work!
I have a lot of respect for those of you that work on heavy equipment outdoors, in all kinds of weather!
If I had to do that - Nothing would get done!

Batkom

Well did some more work to the old beast - got all my lights on - still have not fixed the glow plug daisy though!
But I did try and add a third valve to operate the hydraulic swivel on my snow plow.
I say try- cause I did complete the installation- but didn’t think it out correctly! Mostly due to ignorance of how the factory valve is set up.
I used an open center valve that I fed from a T off of the line that supplies the oil to the main valve.
So I am sure you can guess what happened!
The boom n bucket are slow now and the swivel on the blade only works if you pull the boom lever at the same time as the swivel lever.

So trying to figure out where I should be getting the oil supply for the third valve, or if I need a closed center on the third valve.
the original main valve description in the manual -
Two spool balanced spool design with integral pilot operated relief valve.

Any suggestions on this?

Welder Dave

It's likely open center so a closed center valve wouldn't work and cause major damage. The current valve may have a power beyond option to add another valve or perhaps you could add a valve with power beyond before the current valve. A simpler option might be to install a hyd. selector valve. Flip it to angle the plow then flip it back for the bucket. It would be a good idea to talk to an experienced hyd. shop and tell them what you want to do.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulics/Hydraulic-Valves/Selector-Valves/

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Get the ID numbers off the old valve
Should have a tag somewhere on it or take you parts book to a decent hydraulics shop
They will be beat choice

Batkom

Welder dave
After thinking about it overnight - I came to the same solution, was thinking of getting fancy and using a solenoid operated selector valve, with a button on the handle of the valve I added.
However I think you and Dmiller are correct that I need to find out if there is another solution using oil from the original valve - the power beyond option port would be ideal if it has one.
I have the manual now that shows a complete tear down on the original valve - but does not mention any of the ports being for power beyond.
Like you have all recommended - I will take a pic of the tag and find someone who can clue me in before I go further.

I obviously did not think this thru completely before I started!
Right now with two open center valves, I am losing flow thru the valve I added when operating boom n bucket function, and then when I try to operate my blade swivel valve I added, all the flow is just going straight thru the original valve.
The only reason the boom n bucket function work at all is that the third function plumbing is smaller, so the flow thru it is restricted enough that the boom n bucket have some flow, if I had made the plumbing the same size, I doubt I would be getting any movement.

So much for foresight - hindsights working though!

Batkom

87BADDC9-79E2-48C4-86BE-90C61B680F04.jpeg
Be glad it's an older rather simple hyd. set up to figure out. Some of the new systems could put you in a padded room.
I agree with that!
Well, from info I could get today, this valve does not have power beyond.
So I added a manual selector valve.
Wanted to do a solenoid operated one, but could not find any with port size I needed, locally or online.
Don’t want to restrict the flow to the main valve.5B6BE7B9-EE1D-40CE-B4D8-4A08545E0104.jpeg

Batkom

Not sure what happens with the sideways pictures!
And this valve setup now works perfectly!
Thanks, welder Dave for the suggestion and confirming my thoughts on adding the selector valve

Batkom

I think it’s sized correct, has same fitting sizes and spool is actually larger than spools in main valve.
As well this thing really does not move that much oil.
Manual says pump capacity at 1200 rpm 100 psi is :
Small element, 9 gpm
Large element, 17 gpm

Apparently the pump has two pumping sections, both manuals refer to the dual element pump.
So if they work together that would be 28 gpm.

Welder Dave

I would worry about what GPM rating the selector valve has not what port sizes it has. Too small will cause heating of the hyd. oil and possible other damage.

Batkom

Finally stopped snowing!
So spent some time yesterday putting in a back up camera - I had bought it a while ago - but had not put it in!
Big mistake! Backed over my lamp post in the driveway - forgot it was there! Wife was NOT happy!
Also did a bunch of cleaning up the wiring, getting rid of random unused wires left from who knows what over the years.
Also fixed/redid the glow plug flower!E39312A1-AC10-48FE-8CA2-A0FCC6C6A6B2.jpeg

Batkom

79C50405-E974-4978-8C95-65BC04AA5E40.jpeg Finally got some part numbers and filters for this.
My local Napa has been zero help finding filters for this - if it’s not in the computer- forget it! However if you can find a number they seem to be able to cross reference and find some of them.
So they had one Napa engine oil filter and I wanted another, so found a Baldwin on line.
Not sure about the Baldwin- it’s wrapped in some kind of paper or fabric.
Installed the Napa one that’s metal wrapped.
Any thoughts on the Baldwin?79C50405-E974-4978-8C95-65BC04AA5E40.jpeg

Delmer

The fluid flows from the outside to the inside of the filter, meaning the pressure is on the core of the filter. The outside metal is to protect the filter until it's installed, shouldn't matter once it's installed.

Napa gold is wix, so that's a well regarded filter also. In reality, if you put in the cheapest filter and change it on schedule, 99+% of the time there's going to be no difference.