• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hose clamp pliers

SARuger

This would be used for the factory spring type hose clamps.

It seems I run into more and more of these to be removed as the "8" series Toyota lift trucks get
some age on them. Radiators and hoses are becoming a daily repair. I make do with pliers and channel locks but something made for the task would be beneficial.

I need something that can clamp both straight on the clamp and at a 90* angle to the clamp.

JD955SC

I've heard that knipex makes a set with swiveling jaws

There are also cable operated ones from various makers

SARuger

Are these the hose clamps that are basically round spring wire?

Yes, or kind of a flat spring. They are just a large spring that slips over the hose. I deal with them on a daily basis. Looking for something that won't be so hard on the hands and won't fly off and hit me in the face once I get them off the hose and before I release pressure. I have been using channel locks and or large needle nose pliers, sometimes even vise grips to get them off.

I thing I will get the Channel Lock brand and one of the cable type, just for a variety.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Round spring wire type. My dad has one that he inherited from my mom's dad. It is Snap-On brand and has grooves in the jaws both straight-on and 90°. Around the handle it has a kind of loose chain link along with some grooves on the back of the handle so the chain link stays put when you get it closed to the desired amount. On first glance it looks just like a pair of pliers with a chain link on them. It works very well. Anybody seen one of those, still made?

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
The flexible cable ones work great for the stupid hose clamps behind the engine for the heater cores on mini vans. One hose change out will pay for them.

ScottAR

Lisle make a hose clamp vise 44480 and 44500. Not quite as fast as pliers but sometimes they are handy as they hold the clamp open while you position everything. The knob has a 1/4" drive in the end for a ratchet.