• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Horse riding arena

Mavrickxxx

Occupation
Excvation n landscaping
I am bidding on screening the rocks out of dirt for a horse ridding arena. I propsed digging one foot of material out screening it putting fabric down and then putting screened material back over top. It's an outdoor arena 100 by 200 . They didn't have the fabric as part of it and was thinking only 6". Itold them only screening 6" the rocks would migrate back up fairly quickly an a foot would be much better and the fabric would be a much more permanent solution. Is any one else have any ideas

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
well, i have been around horses my whole life and have built a few rings. we always start with a foot of ca-6, or grade 9. then, 4 inches of screenings, all compacted to 95+ percent. then, a 3 inch layer of sand.

Mavrickxxx

Occupation
Excvation n landscaping
What's ca-6 or grade 9 unsure of what those materils are and u don't use fabric

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
ca-6 is crushed limestone with fines.
we have never used fabric because out drainage issues have not required it.

Mavrickxxx

Occupation
Excvation n landscaping
I thought about that I don't own any of those and I have a portable screen I bought I'm trying to justify. Besides I'm going a foot down.

Dualie

well, i have been around horses my whole life and have built a few rings. we always start with a foot of ca-6, or grade 9. then, 4 inches of screenings, all compacted to 95+ percent. then, a 3 inch layer of sand.

exactly what we do here. but recently started using fabric under and 6"-8" of river wash sand.

rabbit

Occupation
Plumbing and Exavation Contractor
I think 1 foot is a better choice in your case. Fabric is nice if you have a water problem and or your trying to keep vegetation out. Don't forget you or someone will after time be in there discing and regrading the area. 6" isn't enough for that. In our rodeo area we are discing it up at least 3 times a year. Rocks are still being hand picked.

Deeretime

Occupation
superintendent
Definately the foot of excavation is better, and i have also found that mixing 50-50 sand and native material is the best for arena's because ur biggest enemy is compaction, it will cost more but will be the best riding arena around.

rabbit

Occupation
Plumbing and Exavation Contractor
Definately the foot of excavation is better, and i have also found that mixing 50-50 sand and native material is the best for arena's because ur biggest enemy is compaction, it will cost more but will be the best riding arena around.

Couldn't agree with you more. Also makes for a softer landing. :);)