• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hitachi EX60URG "Simple?" starting problem.

Jackson

Posted a note a week or so ago, looking for help with my Hitachi EX60URG starting problem. This is a new machine for me-my first excavator-and it ran fine the first time I used it -but it did need new batteries. When I hooked up the new ones I messed up and had the polarity reversed. Made that change back to negative ground -but now it wont start. Power to all the lights when switch is in the "on" position, but nothing happens in the "start" position; no click-nothing. I was looking for manuals to help me figure it out and a member was nice enough to send me links for some -and I got the Operators Manual from the John Deere site. Still Haven't been able to fix the bugger though. The manuals I have are apparently for a newer machine-they show the motor, fuel tank, hydraulic tank, etc., in completely different places from where they are on my machine so I'm having trouble locating parts-wires, connectors, relays, etc.
The wiring diagrams in the manuals I received show both a Battery relay and a starter relay. This is different from other equipment I have(tractors utility vehicle) which have only a starter relay-I think. What's the purpose of a battery relay?
I don't know how old mine is but everything seems to be mechanical- not controlled by any computer or electronic device. I have a feeling I might just be overlooking something very basic like a safety switch or??? I know newer machines have interlocks like levers on the operator seat or some other location- to make sure you stay put I guess. But I ran this machine once before and don't remember anything like that and I can't find anything that looks like any sort of safety device -and, I've thrown every lever to every position just in case there was some sort of lockout in effect. Nothing helped! Anyone with a similar machine, or knowledge about one, that can offer advice? Thanks in advance.....

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I'm not certain what, if anything, would be damaged by hooking up batteries backwards on an EX60URG, no little about the machines myself. Given you have no information or manuals to work with, you're just going to have to do some basic troubleshooting. Some excavators use a battery disconnect relay that will break either the ground circuit or master power circuit of battery cables to machine. It's typically located near the batteries as one of the battery cables will connect to the disconnect relay. If you don't see anything like that in the battery compartment, likely machine does not use one.

Starter relays can be located inside cab, in engine compartment, or even mounted on starter itself. I'd get out a test light and with ignition on verify there is power and ground at starter. If there is, maybe even use a jumper wire to see if starter operates, engine runs, and machine functions still operate proper after battery was hooked up backwards. If all things are still good, then you can focus on your starting circuit problem.

abdul k

Occupation
Technical Consultant
Jackson,
There may be a fuse box like the one on my EX50URG, the fuse box/panel on mine is on the front L/H side vertical panel of the operators seat base. Check all the fuses with multimeter to check continuity (VERY IMPORTANT, as just an inpection is not good enough sometimes). Check to see if the ends of the fuses are not corroded which will not make contact with the terminals. Check you have current (12 V) with ignition "ON" at the fuse box, if not you will have to chase you wires back. Let me know how you go and if you have no luck, I can trace the circuit on mine and let you know how the ignition system functions.

Jackson

Thanks Willie, I think there is a battery relay, although I don't know why one is needed. They dont use them on cars and I don't have one on my diesel tractor. I thought I had located the starter relay(solenoid) and tried to bypass it by shorting the battery connection to the wire going to the starter. Nothing. Then I used my meter and found there was 24V(its a 24V system with two 12V hooked in series) going to the hot side. I then turned on the ignition switch, not to the "start" position though, and found 24V on both sides-so that must be the battery relay. Spent a while trying to find the starter-or at least the starter relay, so I could bypass that but couldn't locate it. Seems to be well on the inside of the machine and may be accessible only from underneath. The machine is 125 miles from where I live and it was getting dark. Having spent a couple of days with little progress, I gave in and located a mechanic, experienced in heavy equipment, who will look at it and no doubt find the problem quickly. There's no substitute for experience. I know for someone with a little knowledge things are very easy to fix. I had a cousin, now departed, who was a brain surgeon. I'll always remember something he said when I commented that brain surgery must be very very difficult to do. He said no, it wasn't. You just saw the guy's head open, find the messed up area, and cut it out. That is experience talking. ps: Don't attempt this at home.

Jackson

Thanks Abdul, I located the fuse box. Its in front of the operator's panel on the right side at the bottom near the floor. I have tested all the fuses and did find one blown. Replaced it but it had no affect on my starting problem. Probably went to some lights or the radio. Can't tell because the printing has worn off the fuse box and the wiring diagram I have doesn't match my machine.
Tracing the wires proved hard to do because they "disappear" into the engine compartment and without removing lots of covers and crawling around in the mud I wont be able to trace them. Since I'm well over a hundred mile from home, it's getting dark, starting to snow, I'm cold, wet, and generally not having a great time, I located a mechanic, recommended by my friends in the area. He will check it out and, I'm sure, have no difficulty fixing my problem. As another member (Willie) says,"A good mechanic isn't expensive, he's priceless."
Thanks for your help though.

Jackson

I did find the problem-actually my mechanic found it. The reversed polarity burned out the battery disconect relay. He replaced it with an over the counter oem generic relay saying it was far less expensive. Shortly after that the alternator was found to be defective but I'm not sure this was caused by the polarity issue-it may simple have died from old age. Cost for the repair including labor was $150. Since the mechanic made more than one trip tp my place, and because he is a heck of a nice guy, I paid him a bit more. The alternator was about $175. Good luck with yours. I'm selling mine because I picked up a Cat 307.

chuck767

Thanks Jackson,
Since I had not reversed the batteries wires I doubt if it is the battery relay. I think my problem has something to do with the safety relay. I have a boat with Hino diesel engines and had a similar problem and it was the safety relay. Ironically my alt is not charging and I need get that addressed too.

What do you think you will be able to get for you EX60URG?
Regards,
Chuck

Jackson

That's a good question Chuck. I bought it an auction so I had to price in the risk there was unseen damage so that kept the price I was willing to pay below its value if all was OK. Aside from the proiblems I caused by reversing battery polarity there were a few other things my mechanic found-and fixed. I also paid him to do a complee service job. Because I took the risk-and there were no majr problems- I can now sell a mechanically sound machine for its market value-which should be enough to cover my cost along with a small profit. What that translates into I'm not sure. Its actually a question I intend to post on this forum. Without much research I'm thinking around $18 to $18,500. What do you think an Ex60URG with about 4200 hours is worth? It has an articulating arm.

chuck767

Jackson, I have not kept up with the value of these machines. I picked mine up from a local builder who was going our of business and I bought it at a really. really cheap, like half price.

As for my starting problem, It was the safety relay. The dealer wanted $300 for one so i decided to bypass the safety part of the relay. I rewired the safety relay to simply energize the starter relay any time the key is turned to start. If i can find a safety relay at a later date more reasonably price I will change it out .

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
... I'm well over a hundred miles from home, it's getting dark, starting to snow, I'm cold, wet, and generally not having a great time...

I love that. :thumbsup