• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hitachi EX60urg Looses power after 45 min

special tool

i actually bought the ex60, seems like a good machine, wanted this size so i can still pull it behind a pick up if needed. the machine i bought seems to work fine so far except the the left track loosened up 2 times, i pumped grease to it to take up the slack but after 15 minutes of moving it around the track goes way slack, doesnt seem to be coming out of the grease nipple end, must be leaking at the seal, how do i remmove the cyl. ? do i take track off(rubber) and slide idler out of front ? or does it come out from bellow ? hard to see in there. any help would be appreciated

Luc

How much does this machine weigh?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yes, Luc2121, you remove the track from the front idler and pull the idler out to service the grease adjuster. It's not too bad a job on a small machine like an EX60.

luc2121

thanks for the reply, i just started a new thread about it because i had enough posts now. will tackle the job tommorrow morning. the machine seems to be perfect for what i want to do, digs ponds etc. a bigger machine would be better and faster but also more expensive. this one fit my budget i just have to take my time. it's also nice that it fits through my existing trails through the woods and i don't have to widden them all to get around.

websurfshop

Yes I did find the strainer in the banjo bolt , there were 5 bolts and it was the last and most ackward one (of course)....

Which bolt is it? Is it the one of the three on the top of the spin on filter? The one on the front of the injection pump? Or the one on the side next to the primer/bleed pump? I can't seem to find a strainer and I would love to have that be my problem.

I am having the same problem with my EX60URG, runs rough after 10 minutes, seems to happen everytime I get on a steep slope. I have been trying to pull myself up a 40-50% slope with the boom and tracks to save myself a lot of hand digging.

I have not had success finding the problem and appreciate finding this thread (Googled it). Can't seem to find a strainer in a banjo bolt. I haven't checked the one below the primer/air bleed valve. It's really tight back there between the boom mount and engine so hard to see below the pump, not sure it that is the supply or return line. Changed the Napa #3386 spin on filter, drained and unbolted the gas tank today and the fuel flows fine. Sucked some diesel into my mouth out of the return line so it does not seem clogged. Not sure where to go next.

Any ideas?

Aardvark

Strainer

Websurfshop,
my Ex 58 mu had the same problem, running rough etc especially when working on fairly steep slopes.
It too didn't have any strainers inside the banjo bolts but it did have a tiny plastic one in the bottom of the tank.
The tank is plastic and tends condensate a lot.It had quite a bit of crap in the bottom despite the water being drained every 250 hours.
I've included a pic of mine
If you have something like this beware when removing the hoses as its only alloy and breaks easily.
After removal,the strainer was found to be almost completely caked in crap but still flowing enough to allow the machine to run, however after blowing it out with compressed air, cleaning the tank, putting everything back together the machine definitley runs better and has picked up some top-end rpm's as well.
In the pic the stalk on the left is the return to tank, the stalk on the right is the plastic strainer. ( after cleaning you can see through it) :)

Attachments

• 07072009658.jpg
    07072009658.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 492

websurfshop

Banjo bolt screen

Yup there is a screen inside the banjo bolt on the fuel supply line going into the Nikki fuel injection unit. Hard to get too. It's on the bottom side under the air bleed/pump with not much room back there. There was so much crud in the bolt and screen I am surprised it ran at all.

Finished taking out the tank and cleaned it with a pressure washer. Lots of crud in the bottom. The EX60 has no in tank filter (on mine anyway) and the tank is steel.

I am sure it will run like a champ :D after I get'er back together.

As and aside I bought a photocopied service manual from Pape' machinery out of Eugene Oregon. They were the only ones that could find it. It's in English but the pictures are kind of lousy because it's a reproduction photocopy. Set me back about $200 if I remember correctly. :Banghead

Wardiker

Occupation
excavator owner, trencher owner
Which bolt is it? Is it the one of the three on the top of the spin on filter? The one on the front of the injection pump? Or the one on the side next to the primer/bleed pump? I can't seem to find a strainer and I would love to have that be my problem.

I am having the same problem with my EX60URG, runs rough after 10 minutes, seems to happen everytime I get on a steep slope. I have been trying to pull myself up a 40-50% slope with the boom and tracks to save myself a lot of hand digging.

I have not had success finding the problem and appreciate finding this thread (Googled it). Can't seem to find a strainer in a banjo bolt. I haven't checked the one below the primer/air bleed valve. It's really tight back there between the boom mount and engine so hard to see below the pump, not sure it that is the supply or return line. Changed the Napa #3386 spin on filter, drained and unbolted the gas tank today and the fuel flows fine. Sucked some diesel into my mouth out of the return line so it does not seem clogged. Not sure where to go next.

Any ideas?

Yeh its that last one you mentoined, the hardest one to get at, we had to remove the bottom plate under the excavator and get at it from below. I hear this is the most common problem. If the strainer is clean (and clean it anyways), the next thing to do is look at your fuel line itself, maybe even replace it to eliminate it from the list, fuel line is cheap, but it will take some time to re-run the line. Thats the best place to start after the stainer in the Banjo bolt is checked. After that you may want to check the fuel pressure going to the Injector pump (I believe its refered to as Rail pressure). Let me know how that works
You may have an injector pump problem but do the simple stuff 1st it saved my wallet.

Art_H

My '99 EX60-5 weighs 16'500 lbs with a 42" clean out bucket and 24" grousers. Blade as well.

I seem to be experiencing the same symptoms. I'll have a look at the banjo fitting...

Anyone have issues with the lift pump (feed pump)?

dynotime

Fuel Problems

Hello Guys My EX60URG did not have a Fuel Filter on the Machine. The only Fuel filter was inside the Fuel Pump. This Bronze Filter is very small and is only to filter the fuel after the filter. I have search hi and low for a Stock Fuel Filter Bracket but have never been able to find one. So I have been using in line Fuel Filters from Wix, they are small and do clog as my tank does have some rust in it.
But once the machine does start to show any sign of power loss changing the filter solves the problem. If any one knows were to get a
Filter bracket that will take a spin on filter please let me know at dynotime1@yahoo.com I have been looking at some after market spin on brackets but cannot find a place to mount it. Thanks

M