• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hitachi Ex58Mu Troubleshooting

Aardvark

Help needed please.
My Hitachi Ex58Mu stalls the engine when full lever is given to the dipper in either direction and also when tracking up grade or onto a stock pile ( I have to pull or push and track at the same time).
It will run the hammer and auger all day no problems and everything else is working properly. It still digs quite strongly.
I don't know if its a hydraulic prob or a fuel prob.
I repowered it a few years ago (could turn the old donk over by hand) and have done about 1500 hrs on that engine,replaced fuel pump and filter,Hydraulic return and pilot filters and oil are new.
Oil down from 68 to 46 weight.
Doesn't matter if it is running @ full throttle it will still stall or die in the arse when dipper is used or when tracking up hill if full lever is applied and held on.
I can not remember ever hearing a relief valve blow off on it ever and I've had it for 7 yrs.
Perhaps they are stuck or gummed up
It is a '98 model with 6500 hours on it.
Very frustrating.
any ideas would be much appreciated please
Cheers:bash:Banghead

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
Hi Aardvark, has your machine got a Kubota engine, have a costomer with a similar promblem at the minute on a airman ax40 (same as Hitachi EX40) i was thinking it may have been the eletric fuel pump giving bother, but never got back to it yet!

Aardvark

Isuzu

Not Kubota in mine CP although some did have them.
Mines an Isuzu 4le1.
I've been thinking of changing the elec fuel pump again to a Hi volume one.
Cheers mate:)

Wardiker

Occupation
excavator owner, trencher owner
Having same problem with EX60

Im having a similar problem with my EX60, has an Isuzu engine, and looses power after 45 minutes. Did the fuel pump help your problem, Ive changed my fuel and Hydraulic filters, same issue.

Aardvark

Fuel pump

No mate the new fuel pump didn't fix the problem.:(
Mine's not actually loosing power but will actually stall if you grab a hand full of lever & hold it on.:confused:
I can still work the machine, I did a job with it today actually. I've grown accustomed to it and can get the job completed no probs.:cool2
It's just bloody frustrating :mad:

Aardvark

Hi vol pump

Haven't changed to a Hi vol pump as yet.
check any "banjo" ( similar to the one connecting the fuel rail to the injectors) fittings in the fuel system.
sometimes they have a fine gauze filter around the centrebolt inside them which can become blocked over time

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
Haven't changed to a Hi vol pump as yet.
check any "banjo" ( similar to the one connecting the fuel rail to the injectors) fittings in the fuel system.
sometimes they have a fine gauze filter around the centrebolt inside them which can become blocked over time

Hi there wardiker

just like aardvark said check any banjo bolts in the fuel feed lines! Cant remember were for certain, but this is comon on the ex60, there is a very fine mesh in some of them that clogs up with dirt! A simple fix! Hopefully!

special tool

No mate the new fuel pump didn't fix the problem.:(
Mine's not actually loosing power but will actually stall if you grab a hand full of lever & hold it on.:confused:
I can still work the machine, I did a job with it today actually. I've grown accustomed to it and can get the job completed no probs.:cool2
It's just bloody frustrating :mad:

If you are working no problem, and it doesn't open the relief (never) at full stroke - you have a relief problem.

Check the control valve first to make sure some genius po didn't "turn it up":rolleyes:.

Aardvark

Thanks for the reply Special tool

Haven't been on here for a while.
Been pretty busy with work,family etc.
Pulled the fuel tank out and found this pissy little strainer about as round as a pen, ( see pic ) all gummed up with sludge. My lawnmower got a bigger bloody strainer than that.:cussing
Wasn't even shown in the workshop manual
Couldn't see through it at all. Blew it out with compressed air.
Revs out like the clappers now. More power but will still stall if the sticks held on.:(
I'll check out the relief valve next time the old girl comes back to the yard ( it's on a job @ the moment )
Thats on the valvebank right ?:confused:
I already checked the valve on the return in the bottom of the hyd tank and it was cool
Jeez it's becoming a long running saga like "days of our bloody lives"
Fair dinkum:lmao

dieselmax

Occupation
Owner/ operator of machinery business
EX58Mu are reknown for wearing our the slipper bushes in the hydraulic pump which in turn causes the swash plate to stick in full displacement - hence stalling engine. If your relief pressures are all up to spec and no issue with fuel, i suspect you will want to have a look inside the pump!

captain charlie

Occupation
Home Trade Mstr
The banjo filter on my ex50 is just before the pump (first fitting after the fuel tank) its got a fine mesh screen in it. i had to change it to many times one day and put a shut off v/v in the line. Now i'm thinking racor water separator.

Bazza

I would be interested in the solution to Ardvark's problem. I too have this problem with my Ex58mu. I have gone down the fuel path and also discovered the small tank filter. [now removed] and no positive result from trying to find a fuel problem.
Now looking at the pump as the symptoms suggest diesel max is on the button.

PauloFerreira

hi there, i am about to buy an used EX50URG with the same problem (the engine is running but it Stall as if it has no fuel, when we try to excavate)
any sugestions?

can anybody tell me where to get a operator's manual or parts manual? please

as i told, i am near to buy the machine, it's not mine yet, in a fast glance what can you tell about this model?

being an old model, may it be dificult to get spare parts?

how does it work the engine cut off? (diesel cut) is it mecanical or electrical? (i supose that the engine doesn't have all the fuel needed to work and i supose that may be a filter or a valve obstructing fuel)

sorry about my english, im am portuguese
my english isn't very good, and tecnical english is worse
i will thank you if you own an EX50URG and give me some TIPS. Thanks!

Paulo

captain charlie

Occupation
Home Trade Mstr
Ex50 urg are pretty good for ther size, easy to work on most of the time, no extras computers very basic machine. Isuzu 3 cyl engines are pretty relable and cheap to replace. Parts seem easy to come by. Your fuel problem is most likely at the banjo bolt where it connects to the fuel pump from the tank small little strainer in there gets plugged with tank crap. i actually put a inline shut off cause it was plugging up to ofton. working on a grade seemed to be the worst lots of mixing action.

sorry about my english i'm canadian
grade 8 was the best 3 years of my life.

abdul k

Occupation
Technical Consultant
Hi Paulo,
I had the same problem in my EX50 URG, the swivel hub seals had deteriorated allowing HYD oil to bypass into other ports etc.
My Isuzu 3 cylinder 3AD1 engine in the EX50 URG had a seized turbo. I rebuilt the turbo and re-sealed the swivel hub and the problem went away.
Stick you head under the track frame and see if you have HYD oil leaks around the access plate to the swivel hub, if you have HYD oil around the swivel hub, this would mean that the seals have deteriorated.
If you do remove the swivel hub (via the access plate from the bottom) mark all the HYD lines going into the hub BEFORE removal.
There is a TANG that is bolted on the side to the top half of the swivel hub that allows the top half to turn as you slew the excavator, you have to un-bolt this TANG to remove the swivel hub, BUT when you dis-assemble and assemble the swivel hub halfves, keep this TANG position in exactly the same position, as once the swivel hub is assembled with new seals, the top half becomes very very difficult to turn in-order to re-position this TANG, not forgetting the constricted space where the swivel hub is loacted !. Good luck and let us know what the outcome (solution) was to this problem.

Bazza

Engine Stalling when putting under load

I would like to confirm the problem in my machine was just as Ardvark had supposed. Pump bearings worn and slipper plates well worn to jamming pump on full displacement.

Bazza

I would like to confirm the problem in my machine was just as Diesel Max had supposed here. Pump bearings worn and slipper plates well worn to jamming pump on full displacement. Thanks for the advice.

Aardvark

Pump Rebuild

on ya Bazza !!
Good to hear ya found the problem.
Props to Dieselmax.
Hit the nail on the head he did !!
Got my pump out now and gonna get a kit thru it.
How is your digga going now mate ?
Micky

Bazza

Going great for an old girl.......... better than me and fixed by our local Aussie Mick.
Is yours a Hitachi Ex58Mu?? Can you get body parts for these now??

Robert jones

hi everyone Robert here I have a ex5.8mu airman excavator same as hitachi has would yous know of one being wrecked or know where I can get a pvc pump controller its location is rh side below the control panel thanks